Wealthy people shouldn't be forced to donate to charity, does anyone agree?

I dont think wealthy people should be forced to give to charities because it is wrong to threaten or force it out of them instead of letting them do it on there own. Also lets say some guy has $100 billion, people constantly harass him/her about how much money he/she has so he/she gives away $99.9 billion to charities and keeps the $100 million to live a luxury life. No matter how much money he/she gives away a lot of people will still be ungrateful. And they will still harass the person for having $100 million?

Most Helpful Girl

• I just think people who want to should and shouldn't matter how much money you have. You don't get the career you want so you can donate, you do it so you can live the life you want.

Most Helpful Guy

• Just like the billionaire Michael Bloomberg who said he earned his way into to heaven because of all the money he has given. He said something akin to 'God will know exactly who I am and I am walking straight in. No questions asked.' He may have even said there will be a red carpet for him. If he didn't say that last part, he surely thinks it. But I think he did say that last part. Can't remember...

What Girls Said 5

• If you earned it, it's yours. If you want to donate then you go right ahead and do that. If no... no one should force you. It's a dog eat dog world out there and freedom of choice is a thing.

• Yes I agree it's their money to do what they want with it

• They should be forced to pay taxes at least.

• No. Most of them got their money through either hard work, investment or inheritance.

• Maybe they do it because they care about the issues they donate towards. A very small number of people has most of the world's wealth, which makes the concept of "upward mobility" largely exaggerated.

What Guys Said 9

• I don't think people should be forced to give money to charities but I also find it really silly to say stuff like "if you earned it, you earned it". Only an incredibly naive person would say something like that. No super wealthy person on this planet has actually "earned" his or her money. People who have become very rich have not done so with working themselves, they have become rich by letting other people work FOR them. No secretary or teacher or butcher or doctor or office worker can ever become as rich as some of the wealthiest people on this planet. This is what many people unfortunately don't get about capitalism. It's naive to think you could one day become rich yourself just by working hard. Honest, hard labour is not paid well in this system. If it was, it would be the craftsmen, the cleaning ladies and the nurses in the hospital who'd be rich. If you want to become rich, you have to screw over people and make people work for you.
    Unless of course, you actually believe Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg work thousands of times harder than any carpenter or editor or scientist.

• There's a phenomena that has been around for ages: while people are young (relatively) and are on top of their game: J. P Morgan, Rockefeller, Carnegie, etc. they would compete with each other for the status of 'top dog' on the food chain. They would try hurting each other's businesses through various means, and they even put America in terrible recessions because of their need to financially dominate their opponent.

But then, when they have more money than they know what to do with, and they are at the end of their lives, they stop competing for money and start competing for legacy. Rockefeller Center, Carnegie Hall, Carnegie Library, and Morgan's donation of art to various museums around the US.

Now we're seeing this with Buffet, Gates, and even Zuckerberg (but that's likely more of a PR thing than an end-of-the-line crisis to donate).

It's less of a want to 'help' and more of a want to compete with the others and to create legacy in order to be remembered better in history given they've all had their hands in some pretty nefarious business activities.

There's a very good reason Standard Oil, J. P. Morgan, and other businesses had to be broken up - it was devastating the US economy.

So no, no one should be forced to donate to charity, and most of them don't do it because they care about people - if they did they would've lived their lives much differently and wouldn't have been as cutthroat as they were (but then again, that's probably why they were so successful).

• I agree.

• They aren't forced, they get tax deductions for it.

• I have a bit of money and just donated a boat that fetched a fair amount of money for a charity. Best case I will get one third of that off of my taxes, but, the US government has an Alternative Minimum Tax that limits my deductions so it is likey that I will see none of it as was the case in years past. I have never seen tax deductions as a good thing for me personall because ever $1000 donated I may say $300 on taxes at best and that is not a good return on my money lol. I do it because I want to help above and beyond the huge taxes that I pay and knowing that half of the people in the US pay no, zero, nada, nil, none Federal taxes. Everyone should pay something.

• Shamed into giving, no, not at all because no one really knows. I am not sure as to my overall tax rate as I pay federal tax, state tax, property tax, gas tax, sales tax, and other taxes. All tolled up, it is a lot. And then we have half the population that doesn't pay federal tax, they get refunds, credits for everything, free things like subsidized this and that... and then they complain that others aren't paying their fair share... they are either completely out of touch or just greedy.

• Jersey2
      Real estate taxes on houses but no deductions for mortgage interest or maintenance costs allowed here. :-p But any company can choose a seaside apartment as HQ and deduct all possible costs. I should turn myself into a company and hire Jacquesvol to avoid a lot of taxes. LOL.

• Expressing an opinion isn't force. So, rich people are not forced to give to charity, and nor should they be.

However, rich people, and everyone else, are forced to pay taxes. There should be no taxes. Government should be financed voluntarily.

• A log of rich people give to charities to avoid paying tax.

• Nah, money you've earned belongs to you. Its not like they conjured it out of nowhere. Besides I'm of the opinion that people should earn their living, not rely on someone's pity or charity no matter how much wealth they have.

• No, they shouldn't. If you earned it, you earned it. If you complain about people having more money, then you should have tried harder.

Also remember, a lot of charities nowadays are scams...

• I have no idea what you're talking about. Is this a real problem? Don't you have more important things to stress about?