Is Life in the 21st Century really that tough, and if so, why?

0|0
3|4

Most Helpful Girl

• depends on what type of "tough" you are thinking about.

Tough to survive a winter and have enough crops and lifestock to feed your family? no, we have it easy. We can go hunt at the supermarket, where we get our game nicely chopped up and pre-packaged.

Today we have many other stressors. since the basic need of survival (physiological and safety) is covered, we move up in the maslow pyramid. we expose ourselfs to subjective stress.
    The need to "achieve" something and be loved and happy. To be as good or better as the next person, to be a respected member of society.

Of course all of this was already an issue back in the old days, but now it seems to me, it is at a much larger scale. we are also bombarded with a permanent information flow. We know what is going on in the farthest corner of the world. We know that while we are on GaG here, chatting away, somewhere in the world people are dying of who knows what.
    Mental conditions like Depression and Burnouts are daily business now. Perhaps our minds can't handle it all as well as we'd like.

so, long story short: the 21st century is tougher on an emotional and psychological level.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Yes. Everything is just so expensive.. Less quantity and priced normally (food products etc). It will be hard to obtain a house.. People may need to retire around there 70's instead of 50's

I honestly think it's just tough to survive

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's tough at all, considering how far we have ventured culturally and economically, the opportunities are always there for us to make our lives better if we choose to.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Hphysically? no not at all. It has never been easier than now to survive in th western world.

However, the insane prevalence of depression, suicides, anorexia, drug abuse, peoplge getting burnt out... i don't know about you, but to me that seems like a symptom of a broken emotional life. And with it happening on such a large scale, it's not just single cases. So life is likely harder on an emotional and psychological level.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not as tough as centuries ago, I believe we just have more pressure when working than the free workers of the past, but that's all. Everything got easier with technology.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not tough there is just a lot of pressure and stress, especially when it comes to society.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really , its easy

0|0
    0|0