Can I trust babysitters to leave my kids with them for a week?

Seriously my husband and i need a vacation alone away from kids, we really need some time to ourselves. So, I thought of looking for a babysitter to stay with my kids but i don't know if i can trust them or not. I can't leave them with my parents because i believe that they hate me "long story" and not even free to take care of them. My husband's parents live 4 hours from us and that would be hard. It's going to be for a week.
p. s I have 4 years old and a baby who's 6 months.

• You can/ can't trust them
  • leave your kids at their grandph's house
  • Take your kids with you
  • Just forget about this vacation

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't employ a babysitter for this kind of thing if you don't even know the person. My parents also went on vacation when I was a kid and left me and my siblings to the babysitter but this girl was a close friend of the family and had been babysitting us for several previous to that.
    The issues is not so much real dangerous (it's unlikely the babysitter is going to be some psychopath), the danger/problem is that the babysitter has no idea what your children are like and your children don't have any idea what he/she is like. It's not a good idea for any of the two parties. In order to be a good babysitter, you need to know the children a little. This helps you react to certain situations in specific way. This should be trained during short periods of babysitting (if the parents go out for a movie etc.), so that it can be discussed afterwards with the parents if necessary. If you two go on vacation and something happens and the babysitter doesn't know how to react appropriately, there's no way for you two to assist him/her. In fact, this kind of thing would potentially ruin your vacation because you'd just be thinking and worrying about the kids all the time. But it's also not a good idea for the kids because most children feel very uncomfortable with complete strangers. My girlfriend has been babysitting as a student job for quite a long time and nowadays she gets along great with the kids but in the beginning, they were super scared of were. It's just a natural reaction. Unless you want to have a huge drama and crying and tantrums being thrown ten minutes before you go to the airport, it's not a good idea.
    I would definitely try to give the children to some family member that you trust or maybe a good friend of yours or your husband. If nothing works, I would wait a little bit with the vacation. Personally, I don't find it a good idea to leave a 6-months old baby with someone else anyway. At that age, babies need lots of love and even if it's just a week, it will feel like a year for the baby. These kind of things can easily lead to a feeling of abandonment and traumatize the child. I'm saying this because it happened to my mom when she was a baby and she still suffers from it in certain situations.

• Oh my god! This made me feel like i'm really a horrible mother for doing this to my kids. I really love them and don't want them to suffer like you said.

• Don't worry, I don't think you're a horrible mother. I'm sure you're a great mother. You're 22, that's all. You're very young and not so experienced yet and you didn't think this through completely. It's good you've asked it on here... that's what this place is for: helping each other out and giving opinions :-).

Most Helpful Girl

• 1 week is not babysitting, it's foster care. If you don't have an au pair of your own or a regular sitter then lump it and take them to the grandparent's house. But a vacation for you both is important for your marriage. Your marriage and your children are worth the detour.

• Plus, it's good for the kids to have memories of their special time with grandparents, not random strangers. You'll hear about that for the rest of your life when they say to their siblings 'remember that year mom dropped us off with some random family for a week?' Lol.

• Actually you have good points here i don't know how did i miss thinking about it. And definitely don't want to hear about that for the rest of my life. lol

What Guys Said 7

• Seriously? You would see an add for a babysitter, get to know them for 30 minutes, and turn your kids over to them for a week?

You should only turn your kids over to somebody for a long time who knows them very well, knows what you allow and don't allow, knows their quirks, and any medical issues, as well as where to take them in case of any emergency. That has to be someone you know well, not someone you just met.

• No, that's not a good idea at all!

• You don't have any relatives? Grandparents are out of the picture, okay. But what about aunts and uncles? You don't have a sister or anything? In either case, take courage in the fact that you only have a couple more years left before your children are past the extremely difficult stage. Believe it or not, but eventually you'll miss this difficult stage.

• Actually i do but they live in different countries not here so i only have my husband's parents and our friends. some people hate children for different reasons and that's why i asked if i can trust babysitters or not

• That is a tough cookie indeed. I would trust a babysitter for short rendezvous lasting only a day or two at the most, but I would personally not feel comfortable trusting a babysitter for a whole week. If this vacation is that important to you, then you may want to truly consider biting the bullet by taking your children to your husband's parents. Sure it is harder, but it will be worth it in the end.

• How do you like your kids? Alive?
    Then don't do it.

• No you cannot trust babysitters lol. There are tons of stories out there of babysitters doing fucked up things that are only caught because people installed cameras. From abusing dogs, to molesting children, to beating elderly disabled people, etc etc. There are just lots of untrustworthy evil people out there

• depend on how well you know this babysitter , may be you can make an interview to her/him , then discuss it with your H.

• I don't know her to be honest because i never needed her before but it's different with two kids.

• A 6 months old baby is too young and can't be left without mother for more than a few hours. Take your kids with you...

What Girls Said 7

• It's better to leave them with family if you can.

• 6 MONTHS?

I understand people need time away and alone "sometimes" but really, your children come first! No matter what!

so in my opinion the smartest thing to do is wait until ALL your children are able to talk! That is important... because as an infant, you can hardly defend yourself much less explain to someone else what happened... trying to workout your relationship is not worth the risk.

NO one could ever be fully trusted... as strangers always mistreat your kids, and usually those who abuse your kids tend to be family members... so I wouldn't do it.. and much less while having a 6 month old... it's just awful.

• don't you watch television? news? horrible movies? don't leave your baby's with just some random person, there are crazy people out there. child molesters, kidnappers, child abusers... be careful.

• Hard to say if you can trust them if we don't know them. But with the one being only 6 months I think a week is too long to be away. Maybe go on a weekend getaway and leave them with your husbands parents.

• I wouldn't if I were you. Family is the best option.

• NO! leave your kids with family members instead

• I'm planning a holiday too in a few months. I wouldn't trust a baby sitter I don't know. Instead, what we're doing is roping in a few people to help. So his sister will have our child for 2 days, then my sister for 2 days then the God parents for 3 days. During this time, there are reserves on call if any of them can't do it, I have grandparents snd other uncles/aunts and friends on standby in case it's too much.

It's going to be a fun time for them. They're seeing a few people they like, having a couple of "sleep overs" and staying in a different environment.