Anyone else feel uncomfortable taking pictures in public?

I don't know if this constitutes as 'social anxiety' because I can't imagine many other people being comfortable. Whenever I try to take photos in public, everyone around me starts to gawk at me and then I feel like they think I'm narcissistic/all about myself when I just want to create memories.

It stinks because I bought a 'professional' DSLR a year ago and ever since I've been too nervous to bring it outside and take pictures when I'm out because I feel like I'll attract so much attention considering how much I get when trying to take a simple iPhone picture.

Anyone else have this experience (with people starting to stare) or feel uncomfortable doing this?

What Guys Said 2

• When I see someone using a phone to take pictures, some times you cannot tell if they are taking a photo of something else or of themselves. So I may not know how to go around them till they are done and stand watching till they are done. If they are using a DSLR I know what they are aiming at and can easily choose how to pass them. So I cannot imagine why anyone would gawk at you in that case.

I have no problem taking photos and no one gawks. I even have no problem moving in front of others momentarily at events to get a good shot. I move carefully and stay low, then quickly return to my place. Have never gotten stares or comments. I think as long as you are conscious of those around you and do not get in their way or make a spectacle of yourself, people are not going to stare at you or even notice you.

• I'm a railfan. I take pictures and videos of trains. Post the videos on YouTube. It's a hobby. I get stares all the time. Just ignore the stares. Focus on your shot. You should try to be gentle about the privacy of others because not everyone is comfortable being on camera but that should not completely prevent you from taking pictures in public. You got a camera, use it. Just don't get carried away by taking pictures of whatever and whoever you want. Respect others.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't like getting my picture taken period unless it is taken by a professional photographer or someone catches me off guard I'm always making a funny face.