How can I make myself less emotional?

I am probably the most emotional person on this earth, no joke. When I was younger, I used to get upset so easily by anything. Someone would look at me the wrong way and I'd start crying. I toughened up a bit when I turned 16 but then my first boyfriend broke up with me out of nowhere when I was 20 and ever since then I can't help but get emotional over everything.

I'm always either laughing or crying. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I can't help but get attached to people. I had a guy cancel on our second date and I cried for the entire night in my room even though I don't even know this guy and I really shouldn't care that he cancelled because he's obviously not worth my time anyway.

I also care way too much about everyone around me and I can't help but feel hurt when these people don't care as much back. I know it's so stupid but I really can't help it. Is there a way I can toughen myself up? I'm tired of being like this :(

Most Helpful Guy

• "I can't help but feel hurt when these people don't care as much back."
    There's your problem. I'd like to get together with a woman like you describe yourself, but avoid those who wouldn't and do not care about you please. There's nothing wrong with you, don't try to persuade yourself this.

• Oh no I mean when I say they don't care as much back that these are people who I'm just acquaintances with. My best friends and family all do care about me obviously. My problem is I care about people that I really shouldn't.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's mostly a good thing, the world needs more compassionate people. With situations like the second date thing try to think about how it's his loss and it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe try not to dwell on thoughts that make you feel upset but distract yourself like go for a run instead of dwelling on why he cancelled or feeling upset.

What Guys Said 4

• I think you needs a big hug, personally :)

• Maybe you will have to toughen up. But don't stop being your softie self. I like it. It's needed :)

• Well you it's okay to show emotion but think of things you like/love and it'll make you feel better how old are you?

• Stop caring as much. The main reason people get very emotional is they think everything matters. Some things do matter but not everyone or everything does. Care less about most things and you will find life easier to handle.

• If you're crying because your fries are burnt, you're probably too emotional. you just need to pick your battles

What Girls Said 1

• You just need time for yourself to rest. Just closes your eyes and let things be. Just go blank and let yourself getting carried away by the music!