Do you think it is offensive to refer to the bible as a collection of fables?

or fairy tales?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not religious. So, I think a lot of the stuff in holy books is incorrect. But I wouldn't say that the books were fairy tales and fables. It wouldn't matter if it was the Koran or Torah or Talmud or Tripitaka and everything else.

I feel as if that's unnecessarily disrespectful.

We shouldn't go out of our way to be assholes to people, least we find ourselves with few friends.

Most Helpful Guy

• My gut reaction was "yes," but after thinking some I'm not so sure.

Like, is it offensive if a religious person tells you that the Christian bible is the Truth and the only Truth? Nah. They're just saying what they believe, right?

Anyway, I think the example you've given proves that, in general, people are better off speaking about religious beliefs with like-minded people.

What Girls Said 22

• I think so. I just try to avoid religion. I don't want hurt my aunts feeling. But to me religion is just make believe. I believe in science not some hope for heaven or whatever. I like some ideas because will its cool like recarination and buddha ideas.

• Yes it's offensive. If people don't want to believe in it that's fine but people have been willing to die for that book. Comparing their reason for death to say the little mermaid is offensive.

• It's very disrespectful to those who follow that religion, I think. Even if you don't believe, you can still have the decency to treat it with respect for the sake of those who do.

• It is offensive since there are many people who use that as a tool of life. I would never use that to live my life, but it is not my place to judge others who do

• I believe it is offensive; if people still follow that faith then it is best to be respectful.

• Since when truth is offensive?

• yes, that is offensive. you're saying that the words millions of people believe in is a farce, total fiction.

• Yes. Very much so. It's one thing to respectfully not believe but as soon as you start insulting beliefs in religions there's a problem. The Bible is a collection of accounts written by many different people about many different things over a long lapse of time. Those stories are far from fables.

• Maybe offensive, but definitely insensitive. You're trivializing hundreds of thousands of peoples' faith. Even if you don't believe you can at least respect that they do and leave them alone.

• Although there are so many metaphors in it and parables to illustrate points as was the style of writing in those times, many perceive the finer points of God's word once they understand. So, it would be a rude thing to say to someone who has found spiritual enlightenment in the verses.

• It's mean to make fun of someone's beliefs but if they're being an ass hole or trying to shove their beliefs down your throat you've got free reign to say whatever you want.

• Would it depend if you were religious or not? I guess people who weren't religious wouldn't care, those who are would find it extremely offensive

• The contents of many holy books are offensive to me. See the verses I quoted higher.

• If you believe it is the case then good for you, but why would you mock someone else's beliefs, that I don't understand.

Yes it is offensive.

• Well, people say Greek mythology is a collection of stories or fables. it's wise to respect all religion but when teaching Bible stories at public school they are stories or parables in lititure.

• Yeah that's rude. How is it not?

• I don't think so but then again I'm not religious. I can see religious people getting offended by that though.

• Somewhat, but I'm not to going to flip out

• No, not really. That's what it was originally supposed to be anyways

• That's definitely rude.

• I'm not religious, but it seems disrespectful. Same if you referred to other religious texts as that.

• Yes, because I like fables.

• wait so hows that offensive?

• You're telling me I should like the Bible!

• Well it's certainly not really nonfiction, that's for sure.

What Guys Said 26

• I'm not religious so it doesn't offend me. Hypocrisy offends me though. I dislike when people want you to show their religion respect but they don't do the same for others. They can be so quick to judge another religion as being make believe or untrue but want you to give their religion respect. I have zero respect for people like that. At least try to be consistent and less biased.

At least I view all religions past and present as a collection of fables. I'm consistent. I don't think believers are stupid or below me for believing in them either.

People can believe in different things and still respect each other as human beings.

• No, because that's pretty much what it is. I get offended by people claiming the moral high ground and saying this book is better, more precious, more valuable, more moral etc. than all other millions of books out there.

• No. They are free to believe that the Bible is true, and I am free to believe they're all just fairy tales (or whatever else you wanna think).

I personally think the Bible is just a bunch of stories, probably one of the first sci-fi books ever written.

• As long as you don't use your belief or non-belief to degrade others, it's fair game.

People gladly say that it's myths when people talk about Thor, Zeus or any other of the thousands of gods and religious ideas that has come and gone.

People are free to believe in such stories just as much as other people are free to treat them as myths and stories alongside Thor and Odin.

• To someone such as myself that believes in the Bible that would be slightly offensive. Why not just be respectful of the other 7 Billion people around you?
    (rhetorically speaking, not necessarying you Asker)

• Many people take the book literally, in a very real sense (think about the people that use it to date the earth). There is also some truth, and some history in the books as well. Remember that the Bible is a collection of books decided on by the council of Nicea, and many of the books were added for political reasons rather then religious. The thing is that for over a thousand years that collection was coincided education and the pinnacle of western thought, so a better way to think about it is from an historical perspective, as in this is what the people in the west thought. Fables is certainly an understatement and misleading in it's simplicity. I'm not Christian, and I think that some people are too tied up in it's interpretations, but I would not call it "fable" as much as historical.

• Overall it's slightly on the rude side, as it's basing someone else opinion
    but then again.. they do say that there's only one god, which is bashing everyone else..

Just.. don't say unnecessary things around people
    general rule right there.. ^.^

• Not only do they say that there's only one god, they say everyone has to believe in that one , or else...

*-You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

*-Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10 www.biblegateway.com/.../

*-Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16 www.biblegateway.com/.../

*-Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7
      www.biblestudytools.com/.../?q=deuteronomy+17:2-7

*-Kill anyone who works on Sunday. Exodus 31:15 , Exodus 35:2
      *-Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

*-Kill false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

That's a number of the reasons I prefer it to be a fable.

Total number killed by God in the Bible
      - Using biblical numbers only: 2,821,364
      - With estimates: 25 million - See more at: dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.be/.../...-bible.html

• @jacquesvol thanks for the information man :)

• There's BIG difference between respecting people and accepting that
      1000+ yr old books are true.

• yes. it's proven to be accurate. i remember 5 verses that describes exactly how people are today. 1: But know this, that in the last days+ critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power;+ and from these turn away. 6 From among these arise men who slyly work their way into households and captivate weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth. 2: 3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.
    3:For just as the days of Noah were,+ so the presence* of the Son of man will be.+ 38 For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,+ 39 and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away,+ so the presence of the Son of man will be. 4: The man said: “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit from the tree, so I ate.” 13 Jehovah God then said to the woman: “What is this you have done?” The woman replied: “The serpent deceived me, so I ate. 5: Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.

• I think it is fair and true, but people are likely to get offended by it anyway.

• It depends on how it is used. You see, the thing is that prior to maybe 200 years ago, everyone would have referred to it as a collection of fables and it wasn't viewed as derogatory. The reason being that "fable" still held some value and worth, and were recognized as a useful vehicle for conveying the truth or otherwise. However, with the advent of Modernism, fables and fairytales have been relegated to the status of uselessness, and are now used as derogatory terms.

• Well I believe in it so yes it is offensive.

• So if you didn't it would be fine?
      Is it bad to say fable when it refers to a religion you don't believe in?

• @Boomer123 Even if I didn't it would still be offensive, even if I don't agree with other religions I won't say that what they believe in doesn't exist.

• Fairy tales with lesions? No, the scriptures are far too strong to even consider that. In churches the people sound like they're speaking a different language.

• The Bible is listed as the number one most read "nonfiction book" which means that it's sort of offensive to other religions that the book authorities are saying God is the only answer.

• well, mankind CERTAINTY has been one, and we've had millions of years to try.

• @Sabretooth you didn't follow the Bible and you didn't get anywhere? I'm not against Christianity but dude I'm making it quite fine in my own, soul crushing not included. I believe in proof. Evidence. Physical. Science gives me this, yet God does not. I must have faith? God's gotta give me a reason to have faith

• Science has proven to go only so far.

• Maybe people think it's fairy tales but it's rude and offensive to tell thay to a Christian keep it for yourself and respect the other's belief (ps by "you" I am not referring to you personally lol )

• No, I don't think so. I consider myself a Christian and I don't think that's insulting because that's just how an atheist sees anything spiritual related. As fairy tales.

• When people get that rude about it I have two suspicions, first, that they are not that smart and simply parrot what others have said, and two, that they are gay and hate religion as in my experience gays are the most venomous towards religion.

• I don't get offended by ignorant people.

• You can think it but you shouldn't say it out loud.

• yes very dont do it...

• It's not nice to bash others for beliefs. Just believe what you believe, you can suggest others to a certain way of thinking but you shouldn't offend them because you think differently.

• That's what I view the bible as

• Depends on context. I don't think it's an offensive -view-. And in some contexts it's not offensive to -say-. But it would be rude to rub that view in the face of someone who was both a believer and sensitive about it.

• It's offensive to unintelligent individuals , if someone is dumb enough to think the bible is true... then they aren't worth your time! If I hurt anyone's feeing I honestly don't care because it's very silly to believe most of the stories. I'm not saying 100% of it is false more like 95%, I'm not trying to change anyone's views I'm just saying it how it really is. But in public I still try my best to avoid bringin up religion. That's asking for trouble.

• Well considering 3 billion people on the planet believe in it whereas only a minute percentage of the world are atheists. Rationally we can deduce which belief has more reason.

Consider your statement with the statement that "atheists have no uniform objective basis for morality"

• so if the majority believe in something that means it must be true?

• Nope but it does say that the minority without this belief have more of a need to prove that their belief is valid at all

• Depends on recipient of your statement.