Easier to go from 30 years of wealth to poverty or 30 years of poverty to wealth?

Do you think a person accustom to wealth would be able to adjust and make good decisions living in poverty better than a person accustom to poverty would with a sudden change to wealth? Would they be able to adapt and find happiness or make poor desicions and loose who they are as people? Some people feel the poor would never be able to properly embrace wealth and many poor feel the wealthy couldn't survive their lifestyle. What's your opinion?

Most Helpful Guy

• definitely poverty to wealth. but there are many factors as to what you mean by wealth and poverty and how said individual got to that stage in the 1st place. for example, did they work their way up like a mark cuban? or were they just trust fund babies? were they born into poverty? or did they spend it all on drugs or lose it in a recession?

• I live in a city full of homeless. A man told me the wealthy couldn't live his lifestyle the same as he wouldn't adapt properly to theirs. That statement triggered this question. It made me just wonder..

• that's why i asked because someone who worked their way up and became successful are usually frugal. they might trick out their shit, but look at mark cuban. he started from almost nothing and became a multi billionaire and wears a t shirt and jeans all the time. he knows how to hustle and grind his way to the top. but someone who was born wealthy wouldn't last 30 minutes. conversely, poor people can't manage their money usually. they did a study where they gave them money and most ended back up poor in months. but if someone lost their job and somehow lost all their assets, they'll know what to do if they gain that money back.

What Guys Said 6

• The transition from wealth to poverty is far, far more common than poverty to wealth. Wealth has a surprisingly low survival rate even in family lines. Wealth is easy to fritter away, whereas poverty's grip is strong and extremely difficult to break, especially in multi-generational situations.

• If by "wealth" we're talking about filthy rich, not something like working white collar, upper middle class, I think it's about even, equally rare.

• It's easier to go from wealth to poverty.

• i think it should be obvious that spending all your wealth isn't a difficult task.

• No poverty to wealth obviously

• Who cares?

What Girls Said 3

• I think it'd be easier to go from poverty to wealth. With poverty, you're not used to having much, if anything. Adding money onto that may be overwhelming and they may buy way too much in excitement, but eh... I think the rich would not adjust well to losing money. They're more than likely used to being able to buy more and do more. Take that away and they might not know what to do, how to survive.

• I would say wealth to poverty. My family did it and struggled so hard but we knew to appreciate every dime we had at that point. It also made us much more humble.

• who cares? Life gives you a hand and you do the best you can to keep it alive.