Is Harry Potter really worth reading?

So, I have never really had any interest in these kind of things, I have never read a single line from the books or watched anything from Harry Potter movies, I'm just not a fan of this kind of books/movies, but I'm learning German right now and want to gain some vocabularies and considering that it's mainly a children novel, I thought the vocabularies would be relatively easy so I'm thinking about getting the first part of the series, translated to German. But I guess it would be good to have fun while learning so my question is whether you think it's worth reading or not?

• Yes, it's interesting
  • No, it's boring
  • Not that bad, but nothing spacial
  • Never read it either
Update
Update II

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know about German, but the English HP books have a really good vocabulary, especially the latest books. I read them in Greek when I was a kid, and then I read the English ones, and that's how I started reading English books. I generally love fantasy books, anything to do with alternate worlds, superheroes, magical creatures etc. The most interesting part is experiencing the magical world, daydreaming that you're a part of it (well maybe your owl got lost), identifying with some of the things the heroes go through, and occasionally learn a bit about values.

Most Helpful Guy

• I probably wouldn't read it for the sole purpose of helping with your German. I mean, it's kind of a niche story; something more mainstream and modern might be better.

What Girls Said 17

• i love harry potter~ the books are truly timeless.

there are 7 books in the series. i read the first book at 12, the last one when i was 23, and my older self loved it just as much as my younger self did.

fantasy is not my thing at all, and yet this series is still my favourite of all time. i think part of the reason is because, while the books take place in a fantasy setting, the emotions and experiences of the characters are very much rooted in reality, and we can still relate to them.

at least promise me that you'll try the first one; i think you'll enjoy it.

• It was never necessarily 100% my cup of tea, but I will say they are amazingly well written and worth reading.

• Yeah, it's a really good book series. I enjoyed reading them. I wouldn't say the vocabulary is "easy" though. I mean, reading it in English was easy for me but using it to learn a different language may be somewhat difficult.

• The books are amazing. The vocabulary is actually fairly grown up, though. But yeah, Rowling is a genius.

• i really liked it. read it all. id recommend. if ur not into fantasy though u may not like it.

• I love reading, I gobbled up books as a child. But Harry Potter never did much for me. I always ended up returning the book.

I say go for it for the learning aspect, maybe you'll find out you like them.

But I had a hard time liking them.

• Honestly, I avoid fantasy books as much as I possibly can. I just find reading into them, and understanding a "whole new world" tiring and difficult - not to mention it's all fake...
    But I DO recommend the Harry Potter series,
    1) It's a good level to work with for a new language (I read some in french)
    2) It's a well-written and interesting series. There's some good character development and the plot flows nicely.

• Haha that's the problem with me too, I can't get into that "fantasy new world" thing.

• I admit it was a bit tough at first, but once you get into it, it's really good.
      good luck!

• oh it's quite good! it starts off as a fairly light children's novels, but quickly becomes darker and darker. and they are extremely well written, there is an answer and reason for everything even if it's not apparent you have to pay very close attention to get it. the movies don't do the books any justice whatsoever of course, because they had to cut out so much of the subplots.

• I could not answer this poll. The Harry Potter books are the best books known to men. They are amazing, perfect, amazing and EPIC!!!

• YES IT IS WORTH READING HOLY COW I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE ASKING THIS!!! Best thing ever. You get more out of the books than the movies. Oh I can't even begin to describe my love for Harry Potter. Please read them. You will not regret it.

• They are really well written and the world JK Rowling created is incredibly rich and detailed. Every name has some kind of significance, even characters that never make an appearance, have been dead before the series started, and are only ever referenced. The characters are extremely likeable, the setting fascinating, the story intense, lol this sounds so corny. No, but it's great. I'd read it in your native language to get the full experience.

• Nope, too long.
    If I had to pick from reading and watching.. I would pick the latter.

Though I really disliked the recent ones. Nasty.

Anyway, I stopped reading books like that. Waste of time.

• I have never read any book of this kind. It's just that my German teacher keeps talking about it and how much she liked reading it sooo.. I thought it would be interesting 😕

• Hahahaha no.

Why do you ask though?

• Lol first the poem and now sharing her interests.

Common symptoms of developing a crush, lol

• I think I read maybe 3 chapters of each book before I gave up..

• It's good storytelling but I did not like the ending of the last book

• Yeah there's more detail

• I absolutely loveeee the Harry Potter series

• Harr potter sucks dick, Watch Twlight

What Guys Said 17

• honestly the movies are everything. and they're all a one time watch.

• Never read Harry Potter, but if you want to read some good books, the inheritance cycle is great. Eragon is the first book of that cycle.

• I never read them either. A long time ago, I remember I did borrow a DVD of one of those movies to watch, but the DVD was scratched or something and it didn't get past the first 10 minutes or so but I did not feel all that intrigued about Harry Potter to re-borrow the DVD or borrow the other Harry Potter DVDs, nor did my experience with those 10 minutes made me felt that I just have to read any of the books.

• I like fantasy and I've never read it,
    The whole wizard school is done better elsewhere
    Plus the best wizard named harry is harry dresden
    I'm not Harry Dresden.

Harry's a wizard. A genuine, honest-to-goodness wizard. He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a.44 revolver in his pocket. He'll spit in the eye of gods and demons alike if he thinks it needs to be done, and to hell with the consequences—and yet somehow my little brother manages to remain a decent human being.

I'll be damned if I know how.

But then, I'll be damned regardless.

My name is Thomas Raith, and I'm a monster.

• Meh I prefer the movie not my kind of things to read 😛

• I tried to read it. Oh, how I tried. It was unbearably shit. Rowling was trying desperately to make up Roald Dahl-esque fantasy words and be witty and whimsical in the same way and *completely failing at it*

• Fuck yes.

• Out of all the book series I have read, it's at the bottom. That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, or maybe I'm biased. They're just not as good as the other things I've read, in my opinion.

• Nah, read Tolkein's works instead. HP is overrated.

• it's good if you like really slow stories. I read the first few, then stopped because reading in class was not a requirement anymore.

• if there's a movie, always pick the movie... unless it has nicholas cage.

• it is pretty good

• no.

read the first book. . it's nothing special unless you're a teen or younger.

• I still haven't read it, mainly because it was so popular.

• Try it out.

• Read Game of throne's and harry potter you will be a happy man

• Game of Thrones is the most overrated book since the Chronicles of Narnia.

• Yes as far as children's books go, they are interesting stories with lots of in-depth lore. Also they get darker and more mature as they go on. In the final book many murders take place and graphic scenes.