Why are people so obsessed with social media?

I used to have an IG, twitter and Tumblr but it got boring so I deleted all my social media exept for this and pinterest. I just don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with it

Most Helpful Guy

• Being from an older generation, I don't bother with personally. I join forums of interest, but facebook drove me crazy with getting "friend" invites from friends/relatives of existing friends/relatives I friended whom I either didn't want to talk to or didn't even know. The whole thing drove me crazy. It's bad enough with all the metadata from your cellphone and being tracked constantly from Google and other entities. Now I just use an online album and make it private and allow others access so it's much simplier to share photos.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a great way to keep in touch with people who you don't have the time to meet with in person. In theory, at least.
    In reality, it seems to have become more of a way for people to get ego-boosts on the regular. Creating a generation in which narcissism is at an all-time high. 😖

What Guys Said 10

• I don't either. I just keep them around in case I will really need them for something (unlikely but things can happen). I have facebook but I barely use it at all.

• Yeah I just use facebook, but I'm not obsessed with it in the least. Sure I check it daily but I mainly use it to keep in touch with friends that live far away because I personally think it's pointless to talk to a friend on fb who lives close by as I prefer to talk to them in person if I wanna have a conversation.

But yeah the other social media sites and apps like instagram, snapchat, etc got old very fast.

• Basically for entertainment and the desire to be nosey on people's lives and also a platform where people can be 'on the stage' to get attention that would be harder on the physical world..

• Not me. I don't have a phone.

I got addicted to this because I get to talk to people I would never normally talk to, I get to discuss my views without being thoroughly smacked in public.

• validation=is food for the insecure and the unsure

connection=is for everyone

for these reasons.

• I haven't deleted mine, but I rarely use it though.
    it's usually Skype

• because this generation lacks self control overall.

• Usually because people have nothing else to do. So its a good way to say occupied.

• I don't know I just do whatever to cure my boredom. I dont go on social media much though. Only to like pictures or videos and maybe comment.

• I only have this and tumblr

What Girls Said 12

• I know right! I am crazy about gag! I can't wait for the app!

• Social media helps people stay connected and keep up with the latest news. Some people use it to pass the time or to show off potentially as well.

• I only have fb which I rarely use
    and whatsapp if that counts
    they bore me too gag is more interesting haha

• I don't have any of those either.. boring shit

• As you look for answers on social media...

• Mmm. Well I am cause I get paid for it... So...

• I am not addicted either. But it's good that you think like this at the age of 15 while most of your peers can't live without it.

• Depends on them,, we all agree it's easier to be in touch than before. Me? I want to show my arts my interests & stay in touch

• People have a fear of missing out. They want to feel constantly in the loop on things. So if the hottest new things that will keep them in touch with people they know, they'll join.

I have left IG for it was killing me 😫😫

• bc we're bored, inspiration, check up on friends, trends

• ... kills loneliness... jk i don't have social media except snapchat/tumblr

• It varies slightly, but mostly I think it's because it makes them feel validated. Getting x amount of likes or comments makes some people feel important or loved. Of course, other people use it for entertainment or communication as well.