If someone was born blind, would they be able to see things in their dreams?

Most Helpful Guy

• I was born almost blind myself and though I have a tiny bit of vision left, I think I have some advantage in answering this question because I generally know what it's like to live a life as almost blind person. And of course I have one or two blind friends.
    So the question to your answer is: no. If a person is born blind, the brain has no chance of even understanding what vision is. Vision simply doesn't exist for blind people as a concept. Think of it like this: imagine you meet a bunch of aliens who are capable of thinking in and experiencing a higher dimension. Now, would you be able to feel/think/experience that higher dimension in your dreams? Obviously not, because you have NO IDEA what that higher dimension is even like. You can't even fathom to understand or wrap your head around it. It's just too strange and bizarre a concept for us humans. It's like that with being blind since birth.
    The function of dreams is to re-live and process the experiences we made during the day. Since blind people experience the world differently - mainly over touch and sound - this is also the way they live through their dreams.

• Here's a video you might be interested to watch:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUW9pm9wxs

• It's amazing what people are capable of

• Wow--that is a great video! Thanks for sharing.

What Girls Said 5

• Um, yes.

People blind or even born blind see in their dreams in the same color and way as a natural human being sees. Science has many reasons, but believe it or not there is definitely reincarnation of every human being. Even the born blind see their last life.

This is very true.

:\

• I'm sorry but this is so wrong I just had to comment. Your little reincarnation idea sounds romantic I guess but it's rubbish. Blind people who have been born blind do not see in their dreams. This is not about belief, there are thousands of blind folks out there you can ask and they will all tell you the same thing. In fact, I can also tell you first hand because I'm almost completely blind and I have relatively little visual stuff going on in my dreams. See my opinion down below.

• I believe so, but itd b different. Its b based on what they believe the world looks like, what people look like, etc.

• I think so. I think they can still see things similar to us in their heads, but a bit different.

• I've heard that they dream of colours and shapes and stuff. I guess they'd dream of colours because humans can naturally see strong light even with our eyes closed, so maybe it's the same for them, they can see the colour of the light if it's near their eyes?

• More on what they think the world looks like. Probably after they are able to touch and feel things, they might form images in their mind.

• It just baffles me that that could be possible since they have no concept of anything visual, no concept of what colours look like.

@Miyonis suggested reincarnation and if that is real then I could understand how blind people could see things in their dreams based on past lives.

• A friend of mine works with disabled children, and she said this blind boy described objects to her. He didn't mention color, since he doesn't know what is what, but his imagination was precious.

That is an interesting theory.

What Guys Said 7

• I was born stupid and I'm still stupid in my dreams, so I doubt it.

• I have read a study somewhere that blind people do dream in images. Even if they were born blind. I am just going to believe that the people who did the study know more about it than me. So i would say yes they do.

• They could still see stuff in their dreams but it would be different from what we see because they've never seen the world or what's in it, they'd have to go by their own imagination or based on what people tell them.

• Good question x_x

• Nope they dream of other senses

• Of course.

Dreams are built within your mind, not your eyes.

• It depends on wether it's a eye probablem or a brain probablem that is causing the blindness