Why do Adults think that us teens (16 year olds ) are stupid?

Everytime I say something (which is correct) And some Adult on Gag sees it, they say "Really You're 16, you don't know shit" It irritates me...

Most Helpful Guy

• Exactly what I say, you're not stupid, you just have less experience (which is normal). I remember when I was 16, I knew exactly what I was doing... I talk a lot to teens too and I do know you're not stupid, some of you are smarter than us xD. But laws say you can't do this, you can't do that, where I live you can't drive, in some places you can't consent for sex...

Come on, you're not stupid, you ain't children anymore. Let's not forget that Balduin IV of Jerusalem defeated Saladin in the battlefiled when he was just 16 years old.

Well, let people think you're stupid, this way you'll have advantage over them ;)

• Thank you bro, you are literally the only person out of all these people that understands. You sir speak with such logic and validness, It's phenomenal.

• You're welcome sir. I didn't mention that the most intelligent conversations I had in the last 2 years were with 16 year olds, I didn't reach that level with "adults" and we discussed deep things.

What Girls Said 16

• There's this phenomena where the less you know the more you think you know. Teenagers like to hang out in that area a lot. When you get older you start to realize how little you actually know. Just approach your situations with more fact checking and humility.

• But older people assume they know so much more than teens, when they really don't. Most older people don't seem to express humility either.

• @DarkHumorRUs Man I can't control what other people do. I'm just giving OP ideas of what he can work on.

• It's not that we think you're stupid, it's that we know you're inexperienced and thus talking out of your ass.

• Ohhh okay, so we're inexperienced and talking out of our asses? I guess i really am inexperienced because i didn't know people could talk out of their asses then "Says the 23 year old"

• In such discussions, it tends to be that adults cannot take teenagers/children seriously because of their inexperience and immaturity. Which was my point, but you immaturely chose to jump on a colloquialism you didn't understand.

• Everything you said here just proved their point. You don't even realise it which is probably why you think people are simply trying to be rude when they do it.

• Don't accept someone trying to shut you up but also make sure to do your research so you don't shut yourself out. It has less to do with intelligence than experience. The advice I impart on this site has little to do with my high school or college education. It has to do with my relationships, surroundings and interactions. Mostly over my last 7-9 years. If you don't think you will know more when you are 20, 25, 30 than you do right now, that's nativity and ignorance. Not necessarily stupidity.

• Because your brain's aren't finished developing yet.
    Because your frame of reference is often from the perspective of people who haven't experienced life outside of the safety of a parent's house and school.

You don't deserve to feel like you're stupid, but you gotta remember that you can't learn life experience is school.

• Size wise, it is finished developing. If you're talking about knowledge, it all depends on the person.

• @T-shirtsandkneehighs There are areas of the brain like the prefrontal cortex (front lobe) that don't finish developing until around the mid-twenties. This is the social moderating, decision making and personality area of the brain. The lack of development is why teenagers are known for their impulsivity and poor judgement.

• @T-shirtsandkneehighs Thank you,

• I know how you are feeling.
    And in real life too, not just here.
    We may be physically young, but we can still have a brain, opinions and everything like them.
    I can swear that our 31 years old Romanian teacher is dumber than me! And she is 31 years old. Or a 52 years old man that just joined the ISIS. If this isn't a dumb thing, I don't know what is...
    People should read/listen what we say, not how old we are.

• THANK YOU, We are the future Presidents, Scientists and doctors anyway, Why do they think we're stupid?

• But you just said a baby isn't the same. Isn't that an older person saying someone is less experienced and doesn't have sound opinions. Toddlers included. Then you want to book someone for it? Wut

• @Indigocloud
      Okay, hear me.
      A baby can't be judged how intelligent/smart it is.
      A kid can be compared just to other kids.
      A teen compared just to other teens.
      Now you don't compare a baby to a 50 years old, it's not fair. And it's not fair for the 50 years old to say that the baby is dumb because it can't speak.
      Ya know? Given circumstances.

• Ugh cuz I was stupid at 16! I know trust me!

• You're still learning and growing but that doesn't make you stupid..

What is stupid is completely disregarding someone simply because they are young.

• If you're stating what you claim to be a "fact" about a particular subject, and you can back up those facts, then you shouldn't be discriminated against.

BUT... what often happens is that teenagers will jump into discussions about marriage, relationships, parenting, sex, etc. Without enough years of life experience you (count me sometimes as a 20 year old) - simply cannot speak with much authority.

That's just the way it is.

• I did not jump into an adult discussion

• I told the guy that "Most Girls finish developing at age 15" (The body of course)

• I don't think thats anatomically correct.

But if you'd said something like "most girls are mostly developed" maybe. But when you put "most" and "finish" in the same sentence with 15yo, that's not really correct. Although not 100% false either. I think I know what you are generally trying to say. But I think that's why you got that reply.

• Probably because they were stupid when they were 16 ;)
    It's really got nothing to do with age, there's highly intelligent and thoughtful 14-year-olds and 50-year-olds who are the exact opposite and vice versa. You might know less facts, books, music, current politics etc. when you're young, but that, of course, doesn't mean that you can't be very intelligent and curious to learn new things as a teenager. I know I was.

• Um.

Don't worry about what others say or think; your self-adulation will get you through.

As for your questions on adults, not everyone knows everything. Ever the oldest person in the world does not know every single thing. We all have potential and sometimes adults expectations of teenagers blinds it. Still don't give up.

^.^

• probably because they were stupid at 16 and thinks everyone else was

• Because a lot of the time you are

• It irritates me too

• you're lucky you're a girl because people disrespect us boys more than they do to girls

• Much to learn you still have.

(You in plural)

• Younger people are actually more intelligent, adults brains are degenerating as they get older. Keep saying what you want to say, they use the excuses of experience and age as ways to get around common sense.

• Exactly because they're stubborn

• @T-shirtsandkneehighs ignore her she's probably 13

• That's exactly the excuse I'm talking about. Anyone at any age can know the same amount of knowledge, it has no baring on intelligence.
      Now you're just being silly, teenagers and people in their early twenties are at their peak. Accept it.

@Asker lmao 😝

• When I was 16 it was the same I think he will never change

What Guys Said 26

• Because you don't know a thing.

The idiot think he knows everything, and the intelligent person aknowledge that he does not know everything.

Seriously though

1. your brains are far from developed. FAR from developed. Which in turn makes you do stupid shit and take unnecesary risks. Hell, it's not properly developed until ~25ish so, i'm covered by that too.

2. no or very little experience with actual real life. Son, you done your taxes before? paid your bills? Paid the insurance? experienced the sudden sucky financial situation of a broken down car? Hell, looked for your own place and provided for yourself?

3. a general lack of maturity. You're nowhere even remotely near the maturity of the average adult, so please just aknowledge that. And act accordingly.

4. A lack of education. You're not even remotely near uni, so if you refer to education PLEASE just aknowledge the fact that you got nothing on adults.

Do you need more reasons, or are you just going to attack me like you do with most of the other answerers here?

• So you're being smart by saying "You don't know a thing" Because i'm 16? N also, Just because i'm 16 I can't take up my parent's uni books an study them? Do I have to be in uni to know 90% the text books?

• No, now stop being ignorant

• says the guy using anecdotal evidence. Look, you're trying to argue against statistics using anecdotal evidence. you'll have more luck killing fish with a squirt gun.

And the problem is that point number one is medically and scientifically proven. The effects of it has been proven too, and suffice to say they do not play in favor of your claims.

THAT is the harsh reality for you.

Sure, there are geniouses at the age of 16, but the statistical average will NOT be smarter nor more educated than the statistically average adult. And that fact, you can't get away from.

• Because they can. At least SOME of them realize that you really don't know much more after college. But yeah most of them are assholes about it.

Teachers always saying "YOU HAVE TO HAVE EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR ARGUMENT, AND NO, YOUR "LIFE EXPERIENCE" ISN'T EVIDENCE."
    Fuck that, what happened to logic?

• well in the grand scheme of thigns you are fairly inexperienced right? i mean do you really know more than a 30, 40, 50, 60 year old?

of course to be fair there is no reason that you should be as informed on life and things as an adult.

my simple advice. don't bother talking to people who talk down to you simply due to your age. don't engage them and if they tell you you're stupid, ignore them. whether or not they are smarter than you, and especially if they're smarter than you, they should know better than to talk to a child in such a demeaning way

• At the age of 16, I already own my business, i'm an entrepreneur. I don't know what's wrong with these people thinking teens are stupid

• And I'll just drop some Plato in here for good measure.

"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

Clint Eastwood put it a little more succinctly.

"A man has got to know his limitations."

• @DarkHumorRUs i never said that knowledge is directly or even indirectly related to age

• shit happens.

its not worth responding back

• They probably believe that their longer lives also mean more life experience
    which obviously isn't necessarily true.

And then there's the people just like to bash others because
    they're able, without any real basis/reason as to why they do it.

• Because most teens need to learn some humility. Trust me, as a teen you don't see things in its entirety. Most adults don't even do that, but I can clearly say from my friends and myself that your view when younger was a lot more narrow even though we complained about adults as well.

• I'm a very humble person... Are u trying to say i'm not humble? Dude leave me alone

• So you are complaining about not being properly respected for your age, but you act like a little tantrum-throwing teenager?

Do you not see the irony of it?

• Of course he doesn't see the irony, he's 16. He'll only appreciate it as he gets older, which is kind of the point.

• Never had this happen to me but to be honest your gonna have to give examples because if it wasn't something about life and stuff that happens then you really have little experience i ain't saying you don't know shit though that's a dickhead attitude. Although you day that what you say is correct doesn't make what you said correct it's all a matter of opinion and perspective.

• I'm talking about Education not life experiences,

• I only asked because i frequently comment on stuff like education etc and I've never had one single person say my age was a problem.

• At 16, you are lacking in judgement and life experience, which can result in behaviour that is perceived as being 'stupid'.

What will definitely result in being called stupid is being all cocky and arrogant in spite of not knowing shit.

• if it makes you feel better, i feel like most people on this site and in general are pretty stupid. don't feel bad

• It depends on the situation. There are some things you're just not going to be knowledgeable about at 16. That being said the fact that someone is 16 doesn't mean that their opinions on all matters should be disregarded.

• You're not stupid, just inexperienced and naive. There's no substitute for life experience. It's a universal truism that teenagers think they know more than they do, it's something that adults are keenly aware of from their own experience as teens.

• Because we were 16 once.

• Because we have been through that stage. Believe me, you guys have a LOT of knowledge that we never used to have at your age. Many of you are far more intelligent than us if there was a benchmark to compare on. But there is a difference between knowledge, intelligence and wisdom. The last one is something that only comes with age.

• Yea i know but i'm talking about knowledge & intelligence, not wisdom

• Oh yeah, I'm an adult... Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

You get a lot of stupidity on GAG so people assume all under 18's are stupid.
    Which of course isn't true.

• I know my thought process was very different at 16. I think that's what people mean. The way younger people handle things. It had nothing to do with how many calculus problems I could solve. That's totally separate from maturity. I know I'm not much older but even in two and a half years I've definitely changed a whole lot.

• we don't think 16 year olds are stupid
    but they don't notice things that adults notice
    that's all it is

• Don't worry I think 22 yr olds are stupid too. Most are until into their 30s

• Enjoy being ignored. When you're an adult the slightest thing you say is taken very seriously, one wrong move and your job or relationship is over.

• they were once your age with the same ideas, ask them how it turned out in their case and they may end up explaining why themselves. (this is how i solved that issue when i was your age :P)

• Stupid no. Ignorant yes. Because we all remember how much we thought we knew at that age.

• Old people are assholes teenagers.

• If I believed teenager are stupid why would I keep letting my taxes pay for school teenager are smart it's just some times they don't think there plans out 100% and somthing catches them of guard

• Because they are! Because at that age teens think that they know how the world works better than parents, and parents are not that old at that time to give a shit, so they are still trying to raise the kids and give them some knowledge about the world around! Perspective changes when teen is no longer a teen and parents become less involved.

• So you're smart to call someone stupid because of their age?

• Most adults are stupid too, just look at the poll numbers for Republican Presidential Nomination. I mean compared to your parents in 40s and 50s you can't be smarter, even though it may be what you think. If you can handle iPhone better, it doesn't mean you know how to live a life. There are a lot of things that are not even on your mind at the 16. I've been there. By 30 you will understand, that's ok, that how life works!

• There are differences between Experience, Being wise and being smart, You're whole paragraph is invalid.

• because you are. it goes like down syndrome-> retarded -> teenager-> woman-> man-> einstein.

• You yourself are stupid for making that line of intellect

• oh sorry. it actually goes after teenager, teenager->children->woman. small kids are somehow smarter than teens... .

• Most people in the age of between 16-24 year old are very naive and immature especially the girls, far more then anyone older was when they were that age, however i have found there is a lot of very mature 16 and 17 year olds who speak common sense.

• I'm not talking about maturity... I'm talking about education

• Girls mature much faster than boys do?

• @T-shirtsandkneehighs Hahah, get over it love, just because a guy points out a bad point in the female gender, some girl has to chime in with a retort back at men along with a denial, you just help my argument because it is immature to do that.

• Out of interest, is this mainly adults in the 20-29 category?

• 18+ All the ages above 18

• Sometimes it's because you're 16 and don't know shit.

Sometimes it's because they're idiots and use it to discount your opinion.

Sometimes it's because they're 23 and feel like they're all grown up now and are so proud of it.