Americans, how would you react if gay marriage became illegal again?

Personally, I don't give a fuq. But I'm curious since this is a sensitive topic.

• I would have a party!
  • I would be happy.
  • I don't care.
  • I would be sad.
  • Boo fucking hoo...
  • I'm not American/Other.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im not LGBT so same sex marriage doesn't effect me. So, id be indifferent about it but wonder how in the heck that happened.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 17

• I think it would be stupid if they did so. It's not like them getting married is negatively affecting anything.

• Seeing as same sex marriage has been quietly legal in Canada for over a decade with little opposition and next to no fanfare, we would certainly accept any Americans fleeing the suspension of their human rights.

• Lol, getting a tax break is suspension of human rights?

• Maybe its because I am religious but for me, a religious marriage is what determines if I am married or not. If the government chooses not to recognize it that doesn't invalidate it.

But many states have laws that say if you live with a partner for so many years, you are automatically viewed as a married couple by the state

• @DaddyRollingStone there's a difference between being common law and being married.

If you were religiously married to someone, that doesn't give you any legal rights. That's why same sex marriage is important. For example, if my hypothetical wife is in the hospital but I don't live somewhere that recognizes our marriage, I can't make any decisions in her stead or even visit her.

• I would be devastated for my family and friends who could no longer be with the person that they love the most

• It wouldn't really affect me at all.

• Ehh, I'm not American, so it'd just give me another reason to think America was more of a cesspit of degradation and lack of empathy than I already think of it as.

• Wouldn't give af who gobble's what d or munches on what carpet like summertime watermelon. We all need love and equality b.

• I'm not American but if I wouldn't care if that happened in my country. I have nothing against gay people though.

• Thats crazy!

• To suddenly remove the rights of some citizens would be a slap in the face to all America stands for.

• i'm not American but i think it would suck. it's pretty stupid that it hasn't been legal until now.

• It'd be nice to go back to traditional values...

• Right, because someone's ability to get married *really* affects YOU.

• @9mfeo Oh, but it does! You see, we straight people often get bitter over weddings in general, if we're not invited to them! But gay weddings have double the handsome tux-wearing men or gorgeous dressed-up women for us to envy, plus all that delicious wedding cake, and we're such sour stuffy self-righteous prigs that it's doubly sure we won't be invited to them. Twice the reason to be bitter, and even more reason to ban the happiness of others. :D

• Not "sad" so mach as angry.

• Technically it was never legal anyway

• Tbh I kinda would be pissed

• "It doesn't affect me - not my problem." or worse "I'm sick of these problems other people have annoying me."

- How Americans are losing ground.

• Very disappointed. It wouldn't directly affect me, but denying others human rights doesn't seem fair.

• I don't care if gay marriage is legal... It doesn't really hurt anything. I'm a Christian, so I believe it's wrong, but it's not really my place to condemn people for it. Although, seeing how I view it as immoral, I do think one day it's going to be very difficult to raise my children to know what God says about it when so many people openly support it and it's socially acceptable. Just plain and simply honesty there...

Now, I would have a problem with the United States Government making it illegal. "Why?" you might ask. Well, because it isn't really their business what you do in your free time. They have enough crap of their own to deal with without digging into your clutter.

What Guys Said 23

• Everyone would be affected.

It would be the first time in the history of the US when a civil right was recognized and then eliminated.

After such an event, what assurance is there that any of us won't lose a civil right in the future?

None.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

- Benjamin Franklin

• The question is moot however for four reasons:

1) Younger generations are more supportive of gay rights with each passing year.

2) Tens of thousands of same sex marriages have been performed around the country in every state in the union. Every one of those marriages would have standing before a future supreme court session demanding that the government once again recognise their marriage.

3) The supreme court is very reluctant to overturn prior court rulings as it weakens people's view of the court.

4) Given point number 3 above, the only way to alter the outcome that would be acceptable to the court would be a constitutional amendment. There is no way that 38 state legislatures would pass legislation that would send such a proposed amendment to Washington for ratification.

• It wouldn't be the first time a right was eliminated. A company can now force you off your property, and through creative language they have even gotten around double jeopardy, so you can be charged with a hate crime after being found innocent of the crime.

• www.survivingcollege.com/.../...g-his-head-gif.gif

I'm all for gay rights and marriage and equality.
    But I'm was just so tired of everything I was so relived that it was over and it could go away.

I'm still waiting for the day of "coming out" is not being a big deal anymore.

• I'd be happy to be honest with you, thought they don't need to make it illegal they just need to adhere to our laws and not force every state to do it, it is the states individual right to decide for themselves whether they want it to be illegal or legal in their state and what the courts did was not only a direct violation of that right but it was also wrong.

• Actually there was a intractable inter state problem.

The US Constitution obligates each state to recognize the duly enacted laws of each other state. Among those laws that states must recognise is the laws that establish marriage in each state.
      When a marriage is performed in Arkansas, the state of Oregon is obligated to recognise it. This web of mutual recognition exists between all states in the union.

With that as context, the law as it stood, with some states enacting same sex marriage while others prohibited it was not tenable.

Consider two same sex couples: One couple marries in Minnesota and moves to Texas. The other couple lives in Texas and remains there. The state of Texas would be in the position of having to recognise the marriage enacted by Minnesota. At the same time, Texas would be denying the right to marry to the originally resident couple.

• @gray_sailor if only they were as on top of dealing with Obama's executive orders *shakes head* the only thing they've actually done lately that's helped anyone was one of the latest ones regarding immigration. And regardless I still think think it was wrong what they did, not the only one either.

• If it is the will of the people that the Constitution be changed, the process to amend the Constitution is provided for.

Also, we are not nor have we ever been a democracy. We are a constitutional democratic republic.

Constitutional-- written fundemental rules to which all are held including all governments (local, state and federal).

Democratic-- the authority of our government and it's leaders derives from the consent of the governed, principally through elections.

Republic-- we are governed by representatives, the people do not govern directly.

• "Dammmn! Meek Mill's new Drake diss is fucking fire yo!"
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1DGLrkCUAAMRQ5.jpg

http://ci.memecdn.com/928/8325928.jpg

I basically wouldn't care

• Why don't we also put those darned negros on the back of the bus where they belong.

That's what people who hate on gays sound like, if you're going to be regressive and hateful you might as well be honest about it. Don't hide behind the bible. People used to claim that God viewed negros as the natural servants of the white man.

www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/.../beast_02.jpg

• That would be unconstitutional under the Equal Protection Clause

• That'd be a good thing. To restore the definition of marriage. It isn't like anyone wasn't equal before and for those arguing it wasn't. .. by what standard are they arguing something is good or bad

• human rights would lose a major battle in that case. Gay marriage has been legal in my great state of Massachusetts since 2004 and there's no issue.

• It depends on how it became illegal.
    If it happened by the SCOTUS decision being overturned and states had authority over it again so like four states might not recognize it, I'd be happy.
    If some federal government branch said that it was universally illegal I'd be pretty pissed.

• I don't care. Gay marriage is an oxymoron.

Two cohabiting sodomites don't make a marriage.

• I'd be pretty happy.

• I personally wouldn't care. I would care more about my GF's reaction (who's bi and who's mom is a Lesbian)

I'd find it dumb as hell, and I'm sure there'll be riots all across America

That's probably the greatest way to crush a dream

• I don't care.

• I'd wonder if this was the ultimate decline of the American Progressivism

• Disappointed, since it's a move to a right direction.

• I'd probably protest
    Seriously its legal and anyone opposed is a moron

• Everyone deserves to love. If you only want to only fuck, that's called lust and is a sin. Love is love. People need to leave it alone.

• Gay marriage was never illegal, it just wasn't recognized by the state.

• You know what... Many people have this vision (or lack thereof) and say oh it does not affect me at all. If it affects my kids, it affects me. I don't want my kids to grow in a world and an environment where it is considered normal and legal to be a married couple. Whatever you have to do, keep it inside your homes and stop begging for a normal life because you are not normal.

• well its wrong but if your homo. Just dont be homo around me and im good. I won't support you, but i won't bug you if you leave me out of it.

• I really don't care either way. Marriage doesn't mean anything in today's society. If you feel strongly about gay marriage on either side, then you are literally arguing about a meaningless legal definition, and nothing more. Both sides need to grow up and move on with their lives.

There are already plenty of laws set up that do the same things for couples that aren't married, that marriage does for married couples, such as palimony being basically the same as alimony. A stupid piece of paper doesn't change anything. The government shouldn't be in the marriage business anyway. As far as I am concerned the government can refuse to recognize all types of marriage.

• I am having trouble deciding whether or not I am pro gay marriage, I am still crunching the numbers, literally.

I've got main 30 main variables to run through a formula and then through an equation to have a good answer using the moral spectrum.

• Okay, the results tell me that gay marriage is neutral which in this case defaults to being good, so live and let live.

• Pissed that a minority population is having their right, as stated by the supreme court taken away.