Is technology making children stupid and dumber?

• yes
  • no
  • kind of- I'll explain

Most Helpful Guy

• This is like how people used to complain about novels making kids dumb.
    Technology is only a tool. And because you can use it for so many things, it really depends how and what you use it for. The internet for example gave us easy access to a database made up of almost all the knowledge humanity has amassed throughout the eons. Need to know something? Want to learn something? Just google it. It's like a library on steroids. Hell, websites work like books. Comics aren't known to help people to get smarter, buuut we have encyclopedias on the other hand which clearly do not make you stupid. Hell, some schools like mine are completely technology dependent. All our classes are tech based and done on computers.
    Children nowadays play games on tablets. These games can range from the hardcore gaming titles that the media likes to blame mass shootings on to educational titles that teach them about history, science and proper human behavior.

Technology never did make children dumber. It simply created an entirely new bank
    filled with different skills that they can tap into for the world that would come in the future.
    If anything, the only thing that I can think of that really actually makes them dumber and has become dumber is the media. It's full of bullcrap and dumbed down music.

And at this point I wonder if anything I said in the last paragraph even made sense. Might have gotten abit carried away while ranting.

What Guys Said 8

• Not at all.. Technology is a broad word but I suppose you mean the common meaning of internet, phone and all that web communication.

• stupid? noo , but i see many children prefer to play tablet inside the house than playing outside , i think it make em lack of social skill and Emotional Quality/EQ

• yeah, it might just affects their social activities and makes them lazy but don't believe that it makes them stupid

• Totally depends for what and how we're using it :P

• I do not completely agree with you, it all depends on the application. A child who uses the internet for reading will be wiser.

• you got me wrong I think, I didn't say that technology makes them stupid, I just asked to see what you guys think

• Technology is helpful

• It does and turns them into drones pretty much.

• Not just children

• nope generation is actually smarter than previous ones

• yes, I think it just makes them more lazy

• the Internet is also a piece of technology; it's a network. the Internet has help sites like this and like Ebooks and shit so not really

What Girls Said 5

• As we further advance into this age of technology, I've notice that newer generations are both wiser and unintelligible as they begin to develop. For example, kids are more gullible these days towards the internet, believing anything they read without even conducting research. Not everything on the internet is true, and there are plenty if ways to spot a fake\click bait article, but most kids of today fail to realize the difference.

I was once one of those kids, believing anything I read. But as I grew more adept to exploring the internet and it's endless info, I began realizing how gullible I had been. I took a more scientific/intelligible approach at things, not just the internet, and I now refuse to believe anything I read online unless there's plenty of valid evidence given. Sadly, not every kid even realizes how gullible they are and never turn that around.

At the same, there are plenty of adults, including teachers, out there who teach kids to do proper research before assuming that everything they read online is true.

That is only one example, however. I think about it from time to time. Pretty much everywhere I go on the internet, all I can see is mass ignorance and gullible-ness. But, I am very hopeful that one day that will be turned around and kids will begin to use the intellectual side of their brains more often.

• I think technology has a lot to offer all generations. For children, it depends how it is used. Technology can be used to enhance their knowledge through skill building and obtaining information through auditory, visual and tactile means. Technology isn't only used by child for social media and gaming.. etc. So I'd say there are pros and cons to the technology integration into society that we see today and child intellectual development.

• I couldn't agree more

• in a lot of ways, yes. it depends on how the child uses it.

• i suppose it is making kids stupider in a way if its too much. i think the biggest thing is its effect on social interaction and health and its tendency to make kids give more attention to useless info and social media. i know some kids who use it for real good though. like youtube documentaries and such. nothing in excess is a good motto,

• Yes, I can see the difference between kids who's nose are glued to it and kids who's aren't