What do you do when you're extremely nervous?

I might die, I have a presentation and I'm super nervous. I don't know how to make it go away! How can I make it go away?

i can't even speak English or Spanish or whatever language right now, yes I'm going to die! I'm even wearing all black because I'm going to my own funeral!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• (1) So what it is only a presentation
    (2) Do they take out the back and beat you senseless if it is not interesting?
    (3) You went to time and effort to do up this presentation and you are happy it holds up
    (4) It may not be the most inspiring bit of oration they ever hear but it is your work and you are proud of it
    (5) It is only 10 minutes - There is 1,440 minutes in a day and 525,600 minutes in a year so it is not a huge issue
    (6) You are imagining them all naked now - How are you keeping a straight face?
    (7) Finally your Mexican mommy loves you no matter what and will bash anyone who laughs
    There I don't think you will have any problems now, so put on your costume and go out and wow them
    static2.gamespot.com/.../...ew_nologo_20150618.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh God I hate presentations. I panic.

I got through my public speaking class in college literally by drugging myself (nothing illegal, yo) every day I had to present.

But try deep breaths, exercising beforehand, and telling yourself that
    1. Your audience probably really doesn't care
    2. At any given moment only 40% of your audience is most likely listening
    3. Go in the middle so even if you're terrible, odds are fewer people will remember it
    4. Just speak to the one doing the grading. The others don't matter.

What Guys Said 18

• I had the same deal and my doctor prescribed a beta blocker called propranolol. It's specifically prescribed for performance anxiety (and other things). Read about it and consider talking with your doctor. Like she told me, don't take it for the first time right before you're going to perform. You might look stone-cold drunk if you do. :) It affects different people different ways.

But the main way to deal is to practice, practice, practice, with nothing but a loose outline to refer to. That way you aren't tied down to a specific text all the time.

Also, bear in mind that no one watching will really give a shit. :) You know what I mean?

You'll do great.

• I've never really had a problem with public speaking since I ususally don't give a fuck what the people in the audience think, I just focus on my material and try to give extra information and context not just what's on my powerpoint or whatever.
    Since you probably studied the material you will know extra things that you didn't put in the presentation so try and elaborate on points or say something that occured to you when you were reading etc. I think it's super boring when someone just reads what they already wrote down it's painful to watch.

One time I was in history class and the teacher had given a assignment but I didn't know about it or something (don't remember exacty what happened). He was pissed at me and he said I had to come to the fron and give my presentation anyway even though I had no preperation. So I just thought for a few seconds what I knew about that topic and started freestyling a presentation, it wasn't very good but I was trying :). The teacher got even more pissed off because I wasn't embarassed or crying so he interrupted me angrily and sent me back to my seat.

It's all a mental thing you're not actually afraid to speak you're making yourself nervous because of who's watching, just think about it as if you were doing a presentation to your best friends or to your mom or something, speak normally. It can help if you do the presentation a couple of times at home to work out some problems that you only realise once you're doing it. That might give you more confidence aswell.

• Practice will help. I've gotten better at presentations and public speaking but even now I would still get nervous in the first 1-2 minutes of starting. Being nervous is natural and I realize that this nervousness will pass once I get into the presentation - I may even become a bit energetic because nervousness is just misplaced energy.

One time I gave a presentation on using slideshows but I couldn't get the slideshow to work. So I ended up giving a presentation about slideshows without actually using a slideshow - I made it work because I had printed handouts of the slides I was going to use. It helps to have a back-up plan too.

• Oh gosh Clarisa, make you survive it :D
    Try to make a short walk in nature and focus on your breathing. Slowly and not to deep.
    When you exhale (breathe out) say very slowly "twenty one - twenty two - twenty three". Never breathe in deeply, that's hyperventilating and makes you even more nervous :o
    And don't forget: you CAN DO IT and you WILL DO IT :D
    Confidence does a lot!

• I feel you.. I gotta do a damn recitation for my English class.. I have a stutter.. Public speaking is torture for people with a speech impediment. I really don't know how I'm gonna get a good grade on it.

I'm thinking I should mention it to me teacher but I don't want to appear weak.

• I drink extra water. Helps me cool down. Relax.
    And try to imagine myself succeeding in whatever I'm feeling nervous about.

• Lol. I had to go through this same thing so many times in high school. I can't say I ever did anything to help. Or got over it. Because I never did any of the two.

But honestly, you just do it. And it's over. You might get laughed at. Maybe not :) But if you said something slightly funny and they laugh, it can make the presentation much more pleasant. So that's what I would try to do. Just be slight funny or charming and make people giggle. Including the teacher and things went much better.

• Breathe and embrace the idea of failure. Learn that failure isn't the end of the world but an opportunity to learn and grow. I'm not saying you'll fail, but it's possible so instead of stressing over it accept it. Acceptance is the best way to get over something.

• Um I bite my lip I rap my fingers usually in rhythmic patterns which sound almost like I'm trying to make music lol, tap my foot, and sometimes nothing at all my mind will just come at a blank, like the void, stuff like that.

• I get sick in the stomach
    Now I'm nervous in a good way because I can't wait to get to training since it's been so long, and it's happening the feeling as I am writing this :/

• Nerves gets you prepared!! embrace it, it's the only way to make it go away/feel more relaxed :P If you try to forget about it... you're just gonna make it worse :) What I do do is accept it and think about aha!

Good luck!

• Who are you presenting to? What is the setting? If you have access to the room where you are going to be presenting, I would suggest going in there and practicing and visualizing it. It will make the real presentation much smoother.

• You get used to it after awhile. Face your fears more and be prepared.

• I say as much as I can as fast as I can. If I have no words, I make sounds.

• I will pass it on to others... lol

• Care less. Imagine that you are going in there to fail it and it becomes hilarious to think you could actually even pass it.

Pessimism cures all.

• Breathe.
    Pray
    Nap
    Water
    Calm down

• i seldom get nervous.

What Girls Said 10

• I get really bad anxiety when I have to give presentations too. I become a shaky, nervous mess. I'm not sure if you've already done the presentation yet since this is 3 days old, but here are my tips for next time:

- Prepare for it ahead of time. Practice a bunch of times until you feel confident with the material.
    - Make flashcards with important bits of information to have with you when you present.
    - If you have the time, exercise the morning of the presentation to tire yourself out and feel mentally better. I do this and it makes me feel a lot more calm.
    - Don't drink caffeinated drinks beforehand - they can make you shake.
    - Remind yourself that no one is going to hardcore judge you; most people are probably going over their own presentations in their head during yours.

• I do feel a little nervous. And at that time I some sort of weird feeling all over my skin... but I still like presentations.. cuz they build my confidence and I walk out like a winner and feel like I am the most awesome bitch ever born.. for 10 minutes lol.. than I take the next class and same routine

• I look down at the floor and than up and around.

• take a deep breath and remember, its ONLY a presentation and ur not alone. everyone has to do it. even if u slip up, its ok no big deal! ur not on national television, ur around ur peers who are nervous too for their turn. u will do it, u will be fine, and life will go on :)

• I have an anxiety attack.

• OMG I feel you, I have to do two presentations for different classes. And there's no way out! I HATE talking in front of crowds, I sound retarded. I dont have any advice :-/ Im sorry, I know what its like though. The best feeling is when its over and done with.

GOOD LUCK!! ♥ ♥ ♥

• I call my Mom :p

• I act slightly over the top and crack jokes.

• I go on GaG 😕😐😑

• When I'm nervous I start playing with my hair, lol.