Is it rude to call your half siblings, "half"?

We all grew up in the same household and i'm JUST finding out that they are my half siblings which means they're not really my brother and sister. My mom says I can't say that though. Why? Its what they are to me!

• Very Rude
  • Not at all

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you deserve to call them what you want, but if you grew up together you've hopefully developed bonds to them. I would personally find it easier to say brother or sister in conversation. It's just simpler. But if you feel compelled to call them half-siblings, there's nothing wrong with it unless they're offended. Your mom can't change the way you think, so do whatever is more natural. Some people say "Hey bro" and some say "hey man" and some just say "hey" - but that doesn't mean that any greeting is good or bad. Just different

Most Helpful Girl

• They're still your siblings regardless. It doesn't matter if they only share one parent with you.

What Guys Said 8

• That is so much Bull Shit!

If you have one parent in common, you are brothers and sisters.

I do not know where this half shit comes from, but it is a lot of crap that probably came about for legal reasons.

My father has 6 son, threw 3 different women. My brothers and I are brothers, and we don't divide ourselves up between who are mother is. We are our fathers sons, so we are brothers.

• It's still beats callin' em butt nuggets!

• Its not rude one bit truth be told. The fact that they are is what it is.

Call them your 50% brother or 50% sister then if the word "half" makes your mother unhappy.

• I don't see why it's the correct term people get offended by the tiniest terms and make a mountain out of a mole hill.

• No they're still your brother and sisters but just from your mom I'm assuming.
    It really depends. But if your mom tells you not to say that then don't use it...

• not if u grew up together. that's like calling your adopted parents...

"this is my adopted father..."

• I'd be all over that. Half blood; half and half; half brain. Then again I'd expect a smart ass comment in return. If your not joking around, then that seems a little rude.

• They're still your siblings, even if you only share one parent. You grew up with them.

What Girls Said 3

• My family doesn't tolerate that "half" mess. We're all just beither and sisters. Point Blank. You had no problem with calling them just your brothers and sisters before, so why now?

• Because they aren't brothers and sisters they are half.

• @Josht11 Doesn't matter. She said they grew up together, half or not.. They are still brothers and sisters.

• Not really they are still half, experience and growing up together doesn't change a thing. Although you can still treat them like that when growing up.

• I don't get what the problem is. If you have the same mom or dad or both then they're your siblings. And "half" is the term when there's only one parent in common

• Half siblings as in milk brother? Or not biologically but just (state) lawfully?

And either way, I wouldn't add the word half unless talking to someone else/introducing family.