If the earth is really moving 1670 km/h then why aren't we flying away?

So, if the earth is moving so fast then why aren't we flying away like we do in a merry go round?

0|0
9|16

Most Helpful Guy

• Simple words - we never experienced that force cause we were born on this earth and grew up here.
    We can only feel things when a change is happening,
    Since before our birth the earth was spinning, we never came into experience that force.
    IN your case of merry go round, your initial speed is zero and then it increases and you are thrown out, but when you reach a constant velocity you are not experiencing such force to that extent.
    Apart from it the force you are talking about is angular velocity and angular momentum... And it depends largely upon the the distance from the center of body or the center of rotation.
    For example - try shutting a door from the edge where the handle of door is located and again try shutting it from the opposite side of handle. Where it is attached to the wall... Where does it consumes more force, just like that on earths surface we are on Wall it will take earth to rotate 10X times faster to send trees flying to Mars.
    + gravity is continually pulling us and we have a very small mass as compared to earth..
    So conclusion is there are lot of forces! You cannot execute them in an equation, but you have the result that we are stuck on this planet

0|0
    0|0
    • thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• When you spin a wheel at a certain speed it will appear to go slower or faster depending on its size.

The earth is a fuck load bigger than a merry go round. For its size, even though it's moving at such a great speed, it is slow.

Also gravity plays a huge part.

3|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• So when you stand on the surface of the planet, your velocity has a tangential component that points tangentially towards the direction where the planet is heading in, and a component that points towards the center of the Earth.

The one that points towards the center of the Earth (gravity) is greater than the one that points tangentially.

That, and you don't really feel that you're moving, you only feel that you accelerate. If the Earth suddenly stopped with everyone on it, then the sudden change between our velocities would indeed cause us to fly forward.

The velocity of the Earth is constant, so you don't feel it. Due to inertia, the fact that the Earth is moving and we along with it, means that to us, it feels like the Earth is not moving at all; because we share the exact same velocity.

P. S. I really suck at physics, so some of what I said could be false. Also if I knew physics, I could calculate which one is truly responsible for it.

4|1
    0|0
  • Imagine there's a big person-magnet in the center of the merry-go-round holding you on the thing. Then you wouldn't fly off. The person-magnet is gravity. In the case of the earth, the gravity is way stronger than any outward "force" from the earth's rotation.

I read some more of what you wrote to other people, and I'm not sure I'm 100% clear on what you mean so I'll try and hit it from all the other angles.

The earth is moving around the sun really, really fast. If that's what you mean, the reason we don't fly off is because acceleration is what makes things want to fly off other things. Like in a car, if you're doing 100mph, you don't really feel it - you aren't being pushed back in your seat. But when you stomp on the gas or the brake, you sure feel that. That's because those are accelerations. If the earth suddenly "jammed the brakes" and stopped moving around the sun, you bet we'd fly off. Then the earth would fall into the sun. Doh. (Earth is accelerating about constantly, but that's tiny.)

If you're talking about air resistance, like if a bug tried to sit on your windshield and you got going fast enough, yeah, the bug would fly off from air hitting it. But in our case, the air is moving with us so we don't feel any movement from that. (Sometimes the air moves a different speed than the surface of the earth, and that's called wind.) Same as in a plane - you don't feel the air blasting past you because the air in the cabin is moving with you. If you stuck your head out the window... well, never stick your head out the window of a moving plane. There's no air in space, so that's not an issue. You could stick your head out a space ship window at whatever speed and not have a problem.

I'm a physics teacher too, and I guarantee your teacher knows the earth is moving. He might have told you it isn't moving as a "reference frame" kind of thing. It's how physics problems are modeled a lot of the time to simplify problems. Like the ancient problem about, "One train leaves Chicago heading for New York at speed x, another leaves New York heading for Chicago at speed y, when do they collide?" It's much easier to change the reference frame, and say, "Ok, the train in Chicago is not moving. I'm going to add speed x to speed y and pretend the New York train is the only one moving, but with both their speeds." So maybe he was trying to get you to pretend the earth isn't moving so that you can set up some problem to be easier.

Was any of that relevant?

0|0
    0|0
  • I am going to cut out all the physics and explain it by analogy.

Imagine this merry-go-round makes a huge circle. Because the orbit of the Earth is a super huge ellipse. It's almost like going on a straight line (think of it).

Not if an object goes in a straight line in a constant velocity, you can't know the difference from staying still. You sit in plane that goes 900 km/h - do you constantly jerk or fly around? Does even your coffee in your coffee cup move? No.

Scenario two, you are driving down a highway and suddenly hit the break. Your coffee in your car goes front, as well as your body. So what's happening is you only "fly away" when you accelerate or decelerate quickly i. e. CHANGE SPEED RAPIDLY. If it's kept constant (cruising for instance). You would feel nothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Inertia. A body continues to be in a state of rest or motion unless acted upon by an external force. Its like why we don't move forward with the bus when we're inside a bus. Our lower body shares the momentum. But if the bus were to suddenly stop, our upper body jerks forward. If the earth were to suddenly stop spinning, believe me, the effects would be catastrophic.

1|0
    0|0
  • If a car is moving 100 kmh, why isn't the driver flying away?

2|2
    0|0
  • Electrostatic attraction. Gravity. 2 masses draw each other. The more massive an object the more 'pull' it has. You're accelerating towards the planets core at nearly 10 metres a second. You don't get there obviously because of the 6000 miles of rock between you.

0|0
    0|0
  • We probably would if it suddenly stopped

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd have to say gravity.

2|1
    0|0
  • There's this G word. Its gravity. You should really study it more

0|0
    0|0
  • It's Magic

0|0
    0|0
  • the truth is we need sudden acceleration or retardation to feel like merry go round

0|0
    0|0
  • lets be real GOD is holding it down
    he's doing the job of holding everyone in place

0|0
    0|0
  • Magic!

0|0
    0|0
  • Gravitational pull of the earth is pretty strong compared to the gravitational pull of the center of a merry go round.

Basically you have 'escape velocity' relative to the merry go round's gravity. By contrast the escape velocity at the surface of the earth is over 40,000 km/h.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Because gravity pulls the earth's atmosphere. So when the planet rotates, the whole atmosphere moves along and you don't really feel anything anymore.

0|1
    0|0
    • Indeed: earths atmosphere is one of the reference elements on a merry go round but not for Earth.

• Gravity keeps us from flying off the surface of the earth.

1|1
    0|0
    • Nooo damn it, if we're on a damn merry go round and it starts moving we're not staying on the damn same spot even though there's gravity

• Your poor understanding of physics concerns me, child.

• No really, my physic teacher was trying to convince me that our earth is mot moving i know damn well that it is moving don't worry but what he said made kind of sense and i want to know why we're not falling off earth if it's moving so fast, even if there's gravity we can be blown off like nothing

• It's called gravity and physics. Ever been on those rides where you put your back on a wall and it spins and you can't move

0|0
    0|0
  • gravity

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of gravity

0|0
    0|0
  • It's called g-r-a-v-i-t-y ✌🏽

0|0
    0|0
  • GRAVITY!!!