Atheists, how do you explain this?

If most people believe in science, why is only 10% of the population atheist?

I just want to hear an atheists explanation for this, and please don’t resort to insults.

No where in this question did I mention religion... many people believe in God but are not religious.
I don't know why atheists are denying that they're the minority.

Most Helpful Girl

• In some cases it might cause difficulties. For example, in Ireland unless your child has been baptised they will not get a place in most schools. 90% (this is a legitimate statistic) of schools in Ireland are catholic. I am an atheist, I have been looked down on by the rest of my family and relations (who are catholic). I have been told I am letting my family down because I do not believe. Most of the time I will not mention that I am an atheist just to save time explaining myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• First, that 10% figure is artificially low, as it doesn't fully account for the "nones," people who aren't affiliated with any religion, don't consider themselves religious, or who are genuinely agnostic. If you include the nones, it's actually closer to 20%.

www.gallup.com/.../...ians-drifting-down-high.aspx

Then there's a certain level of cognitive dissonance with some religious people I know where they believe the science, but they either turn that part of their thinking off one hour a week while in church, or they rationalize the difference between the two. That's how we wound up with the term intelligent design. I've also met a few deists, who do believe in a creator, but a non-interventionist one, who doesn't answer prayers or play a role in the workings in the world. Many of our founding fathers were Deists.

What Girls Said 2

• You can have a religion and believe in science, one doesn't exclude the other in my opinion.

• Scientist still believe in "god" they just don't talk about it.

What Guys Said 7

• Because the majority of people are not from countries free from the influence of religion. Take a look at the country with big populations..
    Nigeria
    Indonesia
    India

Those three alone surpasses EU and US and these countries have lots of population (billion +). Influence of religion are big these countries.

• It gets pushed into your head when its still soft, and its no wonder most atheists are younger they didn't get it fearfully instilled like the older generation. I mean Christianity is only the most prominent religion in the world because Britain imposed their religion on their colonies under threat of death.

• I mean I'm talking about today in a society that wasn't colonized.

• Sigh. I'm not talking about native people. I'm talking about what we commonly consider americans today.

• Yes them too, you guys are just a colony from Europe that disbanded, you guys were a British colony for a long time and most of you guys are from Britain anyway, you didn't make your own culture in terms of religion, you guys have always been influenced by Anglo religion from very early on.

• You know what makes us relgious people ignorant and closed minded THAT WE DON'T APPRECIATE SCIENCE, of course nit all relgious people. LIFE can't be proceeded without science nor God in my opinion. but science IS IMPORTANT JEEZ

• 10% lol have you checked other countries percentages too? If you're talking about only America then some people don't really express that they're athiest much because obviously they're everywhere. It's called pressure to remain silent. There are athiests that go to church everyday or hide behind a religion even though they don't believe too. So it's a lot more than just 10%

• Do you have any indication of this?

• Lol everyone knows atheists are in denial.

• Yeeeeeeeee. Sure, you're the one in denial. Denying that we know what we believe in lol. Freedom. Learn it

• Firstly, your figures are wrong. But even given that we are a monority, in many countries Atheism is illegal so it doesn't count.

• I was just talking about the U. S.

• It's just that atheists always try to make it out to seem as if there's a conflict between God and science.

• If there is a conflict it's caused by the Religitards. If you want to believe in God, science can't prove you wrong. But leave evolution alone,.

• Because being agnostic is the more rational mode to be

• Then you don't understand what atheism means. Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive and atheism is not some sort of radical form of agnosticism. I don't know why so many people keep believe this. Most agnostics are also atheists and most atheists are also agnostics. The two have nothing to do with each other. One talks about knowledge, the other talks about belief.

• know, he just says that he lacks believe in a god. The vast majority of atheists (including myself) are ALSO agnostics (it's called "agnostic atheism"). So I would say something like: Because I don't have any knowledge of the existence of a god or gods, I do not believe in him/her/them.
      Most agnostics (though not all because there are also agnostic theists) are also atheists. They talk about what they don't know but when you actually ask them what they believe, they will tall you that they consider it unlikely or unknowable whether a god exists. That's atheism. To make it simple: if you answer the question "Does god exist?" with anything except from a clear YES, you're an atheist. This includes saying "no, certainly not" as well as "I don't know... probably not but I can't tell for sure".

• @asker: I don't care about your numbers. Where I live, roughly 47% of the population consider themselves non-religious and not affiliated to any beliefs. It is like that in most countries in western Europe.

• It is possible to be religious and still believe in science.

• Can you explain?

• Ok I guess I just assumed. Most people lump spirituality and religion as the same thing, that's probably why numbers are so high.

• The statistic is clear, about 10% of people both worldwide and in the states consider themselves atheists. You are the minority.