Have you ever had to have a pet put to sleep?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, my first dog duke (we don't know exactly what happened but it honestly looked like a stroke. Half his body just stopped working) and my second dog hobbes (He was having issues with sever arthritis and then had a couple of blackouts) Both where heart breaking but both lived until they where sixteen so at leats they had long lives (for dogs).

Most Helpful Girl

• Unfortunately. She was very old, like 10 or 11. She had cancer that started, we think, in her bowels and progressed through her body to her brain. She became more aggressive, wouldn't eat very well, wanted to be left on her own, was lethargic and eventually became unable to go to the toilet without passing blood. The last straw was when the cancer ether got to her brain or she had a stroke and all she would do was walk in circles. She couldn't get comfortable and would just spend such a long time going in circles or doing laps rather than sit down or sleep that we knew she just couldn't go on like that. It was heart breaking and I was probably only about 12 when it happened but she had no quality of life. We were there and held her whilst she got put down but I think we all still felt horribly guilty about it.

• Aww that's so sad. I'd feel the same. I appreciate you sharing that. Thank you!!

What Guys Said 16

• I've always had rescue cats, many in less-than-excellent health, so euthanasia has been a part of my life for virtually all of my life.

Humans are quicker to relieve suffering and agony in the animals we love than we are in our fellow humans. For whatever reason. We're more accepting of a total loss of quality of life and health in human family members than we would are in our non-human family members. Strange and sad but true and ubiquitous.

• Yes twice and it was the most painful experience I've ever felt. I cried I mean sobbed for days. What makes it so hard is that they're 100% innocent

• Must be about 25/26 years ago now - We had to put the family dog to sleep, we had him for 14 years from when I was age 7 to 21 right across my most formative years. He was "The Pet" you have in your life.

• Yes, 2 cats that were sick due to old age.

• Yeah twice, 1st one was my dog and he had become so sick that it was just more humane to put him to sleep rather then let him suffer. And my 2nd one was my cat who had cancer.

• I have a few times... cats and dogs. It sucks when you have to put down one of your best friends!

Some people say but you own a farm... ya but it doesn't make it any easier!

• Yes I have.

• Unfortunately I have

• Yes I have and I was in the room next to the pet as they gave the injection so their last moments were near me petting them.

• I imagine that would be so heartbreaking.

• I was very upset but my pet was slowly dying so it ended the suffering quicker.

• Aww that's sad. It's painful when a pet dies. Thanks for sharing.

• No I hope I never have to 😢

• no thankfully

• Da, twice. Irritating with the second one, we'd only had her for a month or two.

• yes my cat

• yeah had it done sucks but has to be done, better than it suffering

• No...¡ __ ¡ I can't have any.

• Yeah, sadly. He was a cat and he had some sort of cancer. He got put down on Christmas

What Girls Said 11

• Yes I've had to put some my Great Dane lab mix name Elmo. I loved that dog but he had a tumor and it caused him to start getting aggressive and lose his ways about him. I worked at the vet clinic we did it at and they were so patient with me and helped me so much... But it was very very hard😔

• no never, and i try to ensure they're never in a situation where they have to be.

• Yes my cat was. She ran outside and got lost. She as under my shed and a lawn mower fell on her, crushing her bladder. The vets tried everything to save her but hey couldn't... We had to put her down. Her name was Snowy and she was the sweetest cat ever. :(

• Three family dogs over the years have had to be put down by the vet. The last one died at home.

• Did you find it more comforting having it put to sleep at home?

• Well... he just passed at home with no vet assistance. It was easier on us overall because we didn't have to make a choice about who would make the final trip to the vet.

• Ok I understand. Thank you!!

• Yep. It was rough.

• No, thankfully.

• No, and I hope it doesn't come to that.

• My two cat, Ruhbarb and Custard 😭😭

• Nope, I don't recall.

• yes a few

• Yes i have...