How do you handle someone else's anger?

Example:

you did something wrong, something to hurt them, or betrayed their trust, etc.

They lash out with angry words, expressing their frustration at you doing them wrong in any of the above scenarios.

Do you:

a) respond back angrily
b) apologize and try to calmly talk it through

• Respond back angrily
  • Apologize & discuss

Most Helpful Guy

• If I actually did something wrong I will usually apologize, I can accept my mistakes. If they're mad over nothing, I'll usually get them more riled up and then leave. My philosophy is if you can't make them happy, might as well have some fun with them.

Most Helpful Girl

• I try to discuss the issue or at least let the person vent. I've spent too much time dealing with displaced anger and frustration, hah.

What Guys Said 25

• Normally I don't see the point of A - I feel it just leads to more turmoil - I think in any ongoing argument if the overriding feeling is emotional you will get nowhere. So what you are looking at is, most likely , someone has done something, the other person has lashed out because of it, a cycle has begun, another emotional outburst only perpetuates the cycle.
    Before doing anything I will look at the situation (1) What did I do? Why? Did it hurt second person? Did it hurt anyone else? Was it forgivable? (2) Same questions for the response.
    You have analysed the whole situation and decided there is a future "Yes, I want to move forward beyond this". This leads us to your option B where you say "Not only do I want to resolve this but I want to focus on why it happened or it will probably happen again. Lets resolve this to our mutual satisfaction and try to avoid something like this happening again."

• I apologize while pitying their inability to control their anger in my mind
    and figure how to change whatever it were they were displeased with.

• when I have done that and realized it.. I will step up to the plate and say I am sorry.. but I will not spend a lot of time dwelling over the fact.. I said I was sorry for it.. that is good enough for me

• A fool man is quick to anger, but a patient man calms a quarrel. (Proverbs 15:18)

www.dougbrittonbooks.com/.../...ibleaboutanger.php

• Not necessarily "apologize", but I'm not an emotionally reactive person to just throw anger back at a person.

I have NO IDEA about the reason WHY said person in a bad mood!

• When I feel someone is angry either with a reason, or because the person has accumulated some emotions, I'll stay very calm and nice and try to help them through the emotional times :D

• I try not to lash out back even if the temptation is there. It rarely makes the situation better and I just end up feeling worse about it.

• I have never been beyond apologizing for something that I have done to hurt someone else. I always lead with... people make mistakes and I am a person... I would like to get past this and move on... please forgive me!

• Anger is someone's reaction to a situation. If you meant to cause it and feel badly about it then apologize. But if you didn't do anything wrong then don't apologize, it's their issue not your's.

• In my opinion, if you feel like their anger is justified, just sit back and take what you have coming to you

• In most cases I'll own up to what I did to them.

• Either discuss, or simply start pissing them off. Either works

• Discuss it with them.

• Apologize & discuss

• Neither. I try to respond calmly and rationally and point out the facts.

• Apologize and talk it out. If that doesn't work, walk away

• I apologize and discuss... I'm not the type for angry arguments

• i usually apologize before it gets to that point

• I joke about it until our relationship is completely destroyed.

• Pull a gun on them if they start to get violent

• I look them in the eye while butting my lower lip and rubbing my nipple.

• I try to stay calm and cheer them up then once they feel better I can apologize.

• nothings better than yelling at eachother to release lol

• So you lashed out at your "friend"? Tell me since you love telling us your life story. How did they do you wrong?

• Start throwin righties, lol nah bit of both depends

What Girls Said 10

• a mix of both. i confront them civilly. i might not apologise from the very beginning, but it'll come out when i can cool down.
    like if I'm already bearing the weight of guilt, having them add to that can lead me to just do or say something ill regret, so i need time to just compose myself.

• I try to talk to him/her when they are calm down.

• I try to never let my temper get the best of me. That's the sick thing people are obsessed with these days, poke at somebody till they crack and literally explode. I try to never let somebody do that to me and sometimes (especially the past few months, let's just say restraining orders at school were signed, and NO, there was no fighting, she just kept having random callers call my phone and harass me and call me a whore and etc) it's really hard. But don't give any person the satisfaction of knowing they hurt you or made a reaction in any way.

• If I'm in the wrong, I will always take responsibility for my mistake and try to make up for it or change my behavior.

If I didn't do anything wrong, I tell them to shut up. n😂

• Honestly it depends on how severe the response is and how I truly feel about the person. Generally speaking, I'd say sorry and try to work it out

• Second choice is ideal.

Sometimes I end up yelling back but trying to learn to control that.

Silence is better than anger.
    But watch your body language so as not to anger the person even more.

• Definitely apologize & discuss, hands down. I hate arguing and things like that, I tend to avoid anger at all costs 😐😓

• I'm a bit the other way around, I wonder how people handle MY anger...

• That's essentially what I'm asking without wording it that way, lol.

• I act before I think, so I'd probably yell back at them

• wait it out, some people just need to let it out. then i'd apologize