Any Muslims on here? How do you explain the 72 virgins idea?

Let me starts by saying I'm not against the religion. I am married to a Muslim and regularly spend time with his muslim family. My husband is always urging me to look into the religion more, and I would seeing as I agree with most of what it says and I believe in God and can differ from right and wrong.
But there are certain things in which I auppose I should ask a shiek. These things keep me from fully embraceing the religion.
Particularly, the idea of 72 virgins given to martyrs in jannah.
My husband explained it as a reward for men who have hardly ever sinned. I asked him to turn it around and asked if he would question it if there was a possibility of me (he's the very jealous type) getting 72 husbands in heaven. He honestly admitted that he would and then seemed reluctant to talk about it any more. What's worse about this idea is that your wife becomes the leader of these virgins and feels no jealousy apparently. Does all of this not sound like women were created just to serve and have sex with men? 99% of hell is women, it's a sin for a woman to not have sex with her husband, multiple wives, etc.
look, I am really not bashing the religion. I genuinely want to think about reconverting. But these things keep me guessing, and I would have to be an idiot not to question it.
Can anyone help?

Most Helpful Guy

• Religion is largely invented by men for men. I mean, you have the Genesis story where the sins and suffering of mankind ultimately boiled down to a foolish woman eating an forbidden fruit and then convincing the husband, who trusted her, to do the same (isn't that what it's all about? I'm not religious so I might be interpreting it incorrectly, but seems plain as day to me).

Then you also have the hidden story of Lilith which is a bit more obscure who was apparently turned into a succubus sort of demon creature because she tried to be Adam's equal and not his submissive partner.

I mainly can't respect that side of religion. It doesn't seem to promote a healthy idea of marriage, women's sexuality, homosexuality, etc.

Anyway, if you are married to a religious guy, probably you're somewhat property, but property to whom he should be faithful until death. After death, it's an orgy with celestial virgins of unbelievable beauty that cannot be compared to anything or anyone on this earth.

• I mean since the idea is that Adam is more at fault than eve...

• @Muhammad1999 Culturally Islamic nations were extremely advanced, especially relatively during the Middle Ages where you had peasants bathing in mud in Europe and thriving Muslim empires on the other hand. I don't doubt the historical nature and accuracy of the predictions, and you find a lot of cases in all sort of ancient cultures where they made astonishing predictions about topics like astrology.

Sorry, I'm kind of irritable today and religious talks always place me in a foul mood. I don't mean to stampede on religion but mostly I find it's an ancient mindset, however advanced back then, that hasn't developed for thousands of years. Mostly the other qualities of subjects outside of religion is just for that, they evolve a lot faster with the times.

• @Muhammad1999 Doh, astronomy, sorry, like Hindu religions. But to me that's reflective of the advanced nature of these ancient civilizations, it's all muddled with religion but that competes with the idea that there is one true religion to rule them all. All make interesting predictions, all sometimes get some interesting things right about science and mathematics, all claim to be the sole key to truth. And that competitive nature is what I dislike about it, along with the ancient nature that still wants to kind of apply very ancient ideas about things like men and women and sexuality to the 21st century.

Most Helpful Girl

• im pretty certain both men and women can get whatever u want in heaven in the islamic view. maybe to a man 72 virgins sounds enticing hence it being used as an example but if u told me that what i get, i wouldn't be excited. thats not something exciting to me. and jealousy in general wouldn't exist in heaven. tbh dont apply the double standards of everyday life to the afterlife, its meant to be everything u want and perceived by u as an individual as what u want... not a complex coexistance of many where one persons happiness is another persons woe.

What Guys Said 10

• Hey there asker, I'm Muslim myself and don't worry, I don't think that you are being against my religion or something, I can understand that sometimes when you read A few things about our religion, you would feel they are strange and you would have a lot of questions. That's very understandable, no worries about it. That being said, the Qur'an doesn't mention this *72 virgins* thing AT ALL. It does mention that the believing people (men and women) who would go to heaven would be rewarded by many many things. Including houri al-'Aian, which are basically very beautiful creatures for men to sleep with, it doesn't mention the word virgin and it doesn't mention the number 72. In fact, the Quran doesn't mention any number about that so who knows? Maybe if I go to jannah inshallah, I will get more than 72 lol, you mad now? 😛 Jk.

Anyway, it does also mention that the women in jannah will also have a similar reward, handsome creatures I mean equal to the same reward that men will get in the same area, but the Quran doesn't go into deals about it because of the shy nature of women, so not it just mentions and says it's equal to what men would get. So don't worry, if I got 72, you will got 72 too lol.

It would be good for you to know that this number came from a weak Hadith, and weake Hadiths are not considered true by Muslims, only the sahih Hadiths are.

Read this: <a target="_blank" class="media-link" hrewww.justislam.co.uk/product.php?products_id=216w">https://en. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Houri

http://www. justislam. co. uk/product. php? products_id=216

Finally, about the jealousy thing, well, you have to understand that once you got into paradise, you won't have the same mentality and way of thinking that you have on this life, the two are not comparable, there are many things in paradise that can't be described and the way you would feel there is different than the way you are feeling on this earth.

I would love to say more things about this, but I'm kinda tired and sleepy right now. Maybe you could leave a notification here and we could talk about this more later on.

Good day 😊

• Based on my humble knowledge, that number isn't too accurate and is not taught in Islamic schools or their daily lives. It is something that those extremist groups have emphasized and glorified, in order to attract every possible loser across the world to join in. That being said, you have more than 1000 reasons not to join that religion, or any other religion for that matter.

For all we know, this life is all we get, so ROCK'N'ROLL BABE-H.

• Don't convert and honestly how could you marry a Muslim and you yourself were never one is beyond me. That's why before you marry someone you should know everything about their belief's and ask.
    They have all these things in the Quran and Hedith because its a made up religion.

• It's actually quite vague in Islam. But it's true that in Quran, women are kinda second and just there for men. Muslims try to deny it by stating that before Islam, things were worse (A thing I don't really think so) and all but it is it.

For example, in Islamic law, a wife must fulfill her duty to her husband if he wants sex and isn't aggressive or anything, if she doesn't, well, that's a sin.

• i'd be more concerned w/ the customs than the biblical text.

• Wait.. If all women ought to get fucked by their husbands in their lifetime... Then how come they remain virgins in heaven?
    Does the death thing virginizes you?

• Atheist here... how do you explain Heaven? Or even god's existence? Same question : pointless and stupid... i have better chances of having an elaborate debate with a wall

• it sounds like you should have been more culturally aware before you married.

• I am a Muslim. But I don't think its a good place to seek answers from religious point of view as most of the gaggers here are non Muslim. It's best to consult any Mufti or Alam or any other specifics site which only discusses religious issues

What Girls Said 3

• I don't mind let my future husband get the 72 virgin as long as it will happen to all other wives,, But you will be more loved & prettier,, you are the mother, wife, love.. they are there to serve & please him
    ... ask mufti for details

• none of that is based from the qur'an, you should ask an imam or a mufti for help rather than this site where most are christian or non religious

• Sad how you have to make up a story so pro Islam dunces don't attack you