Hypothetical scenario time! Who do you go to?

You are a parent.

You have two children. They live on opposite sides of the country.

One of your children is dying of cancer but may last another week.
One of your children is giving birth to your first grandchild tomorrow.

They both need you there now. Immediately.

Who do you go to?

• I go to the dying one. Duh!
  • I go to my first grandchild. Duh!

Most Helpful Guy

• Dying one for me. It's kind of sad to miss the birth of a grandchild, but the grandchild is going to be around, as well as the parents. Death means I'm close to never seeing my child again, every last moment with him/her is going to be tick-tocking its way towards the permanent state of never seeing my child again.

Put another way, I can live with myself if I missed the birth of my child. I can't live with myself if I skipped that opportunity to say goodbye in order to witness a grandchild being born.

• I can live with myself if I missed the birth of my [grand]child

Most Helpful Girl

• The dying one. I'll get to spend a lot more time with my grandchild, I'll only be able to spend one more week with my child before I'll never see them again.

What Guys Said 5

• Dying one, no contest. There can always be another chance to say hello but not another chance to say goodbye.

• To the One dying defiantly. I know it sucks to miss a birth but I have countless friends who have missed births of their own children because they were deployed. Its a common occurrence in my job. I have about 4 or 5 guys just in my platoon that has had the misfortune of that happening just on my last deployment. So I would go to the one I would never see again and stay with them as long as I could.

• The dying one defiantly, no brainier.

• Both scenarios involve tears so it's a coin toss. A coin toss solves everything with no bias.

• you're asking me a wuestion between the powers of life and death which are forces to powerful for any body to understand

What Girls Said 3

• definitely the dying one.

• I go see the baby!

• You'll never get another chance to see or speak to your dying child. It's a simple choice and I see most people chose correctly.