Will the American healthcare system get reformed in the near future?

if so does that mean that doctors' salaries will decrease? private practice and hospitals.

what is the likelihood of this happening?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think a model with partial reimbursement of your medical costs (for example 80% paid by the state, 20% by you) is the best system. It makes medical care affordable.
    In Belgium we have such system but there are 2 main issues which need to be tackled or things go wrong:

1) Avoid that a doctor can charge much more than the standard amount, for his services (call it working hours).

2) Avoid excessively expensive brand medication. Very often, the branded version of a medicine is 3 times more expensive than the "generic" variant, with the same content. The state medical insurance will cover a fixed amount only so the more expensive the medication, the more expensive for the patient. Or if not, your system becomes too expensive :-(

• i agree. japan's national system is 70/30 (co-pay is 30%)

• You see... we're far away from each other but some things come very close in terms of concept :D
      We're both wise people I guess haha!

• Thanks a lot for the MH Coco :D

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends who gets elected and if congress decides to stop being a bunch of ridiculous old men.

What Guys Said 9

• it will certainly be reformed. it was already under Obama and i'm sure if obama had another term he'd add reforms to it

whoever is the next president, whether they like the ACA, will look to continue to reform it

doctors salaries shouldn't decrease much, in fact they could increase. but hospitals, and insurance companies should see a fall in profits... as they should

• I'm pretty sure all the healthcare reform was done in his first two years of his presidency when there was a democratic majority in the house and senate. I doubt he could pass the same act with the current congress. I think most republicans have been trying to get rid of the act he passed since in majority. If Sanders did win I bet he would propose the system he wants but I don't think it was get the supermajority necessary.

• The hospital doesn't dictate the price insurance pays though. They can not choose reimbursements. They can only choose to charge more to uninsured.

I don't understand why the amount of people would stop capitalism from working.

I'm not trying to be facetious but have you compared Bernie and Hilary's policies? I don't see what is different about the Clintons. I do think a lot of people don't like Hilary because she has history. Her time in the public view has given more opportunities for people to find personality or character reasons for not liking or trusting her. I think it's similar to how presidents tend to have much lower approval rates towards the end of their terms. I don't even like hearing her voice tone but I don't think Bernie has a much more enjoyable voice either I guess lol. I really have enjoyed Obama's communication skills.

• @cavmanier her tax plan is rather different than bill's. she's in bed with big business and thus is in bed with the wealthiest (i mean she is on the board of Walmart). i'm not against the wealthy being wealthy but i believe a strong middle class makes an economy strong

hospitals do not choose reimbursements. but they can upcharge a patient who has insurance (especially prevalent in the cases of out of network patients). the insurance company (esp in the case of those out of network patients) can choose to reimburse the billed amount run the risk of having it appealed and potentially going to court. regardless the administrative costs as always passed down the line.

• It needs too.. But i think its more like they need to regulate what emergency services can charge.. For example, sometimes, if you take a 10 miles ride in an ambulance at certain times, it can cost 5000... And im talking a cut, not even anything done during the ride... And i know they charge to walk through an emergency room door, i think 500.. Would you go to walmartnif they charges to walk in the door? Its illegalnto overcharge when the state declares a narual disaster, but legal when its a medical emergency

• certainly the direction healthcare is going. that is the idea of Hilary's prescription cap plan, that will not allow pharma's to simply gauge patients.

• @madhatters4 the direction its going? Im basing this off of what happened to me about 5 years ago.. I needed about 10 stitches.. They want like (guessing here) 10,000 dollars.. In the old west they would just do it at home... I think i should have dont that... But i remember the 5000 bill for the ambulance, and the charge for walking through the door.. You dont wanna know what a regular aspirin costs in there...

• trust i know the exorbitant costs. i deal wtih it every day. and yes i think that ultimately we are heading towards a system with caps on costs. that is what medicare is and with medicare being the largest payer in the country and more regulation on the healthcare system the end goal is a structured cost system where prescription companies can't just charge whatever they want... that is why our elections are very important (presidential and esp congress). we need leaders who understand that the system is seriously broken and needs to be fixed now and not in 10-15 years

• Obama care was sold to Americans as doing that but is doing the opposite. The Presidency changes hands next January and Obama care will be dismantled. Healthcare Reform is a complex issue which has been ignored in the past. It involves restricted competition of insurance carriers, legal tort and malpractice reform and over-regulation of medical professions. Change is coming but it will take years to fix what's wrong.

• how is the ACA doing the opposite of what obama proposed?

• "please educate yourself", well this conversation is off to a great start. i work in the healthcare industry. i have an masters in public health. i literally read the early versions and the final version of the ACA from front to back.

my question is for those who are critics. what are they specifically critical of? the plan has it's flaws. on reform is without flaw... none. still from your "educated" perspective how is the ACA the opposite of reform as you posited

• @madhatters4
      It doesn't take a degree in public health. Better one in Economics (mine).
      You can keep your plan (but its premiume skyrocket every year..
      You can keep your doctors. (many are leaving the industry because of over-regulation)
      Premium reductions (average) $3,000 per anum. (What a jioke).
      Many in your industry can simply ride this out because profits are assured. The taxpayer picks up the tab while premiums and co-pays skyrocket. Obamacare simply inserts another unaccountable government bureacracy into private life. You are probably able to justify that the current administration will have doubled the national debt over 43 predicessors as well. Fortunately, Obamaxare starts being dismantles in 11 months. Not interested in exploring it further.

• Nope cause Americans are too stupid at least this generation of Americans are. And no it wouldn't Canada has free health care. I am a big believer in that there is more than one way for doctors to get paid besides from health insurance not being fully covered. The biggest problem here lies on that we already are paying taxes for health care yet our health insurance still doesn't always fully cover our bill.

• Apparently i don't know much about our healthcare system cause I was under the impression that doctors were making bank under the new laws

• doctors have made less and less money in the past few decades. malpractice, lower insurance reimbursements, and other factors have seen the margins shrink for doctors.

they still make more than enough if they are practicing correctly and employ adminstration that understands how to correctly (legally) work the system.

• @madhatters4
      oh okay but I was thinking more about the scams and fake diagnosis just to milk insurances money

• well that certainly occurs (i see it on a daily basis), which another reason why healthcare reform is so necessary.

• Yes Trump says he has a plan

• No it will not. It is always uphill.
    Obama said the same thing when he was contesting, So is bernie sanders.
    The congress is the one who rules the roost.

• Man I hope so! Its really messed up and very expensive

• I doubt it the us is already in to much debt to make it happen

• Most advanced countries are.

• Ya but America is running a way higher debt to income ratio then most

What Girls Said 0