Is it sexist for me to be afraid of black men?

I AM A BLACK GIRL. It's just that my mom has been abused by many of her ex boyfriends and 3 black men murdered my big sister. Also, whenever I walk down the street they are always saying derogatory things to me and one even chased me to my house. I want to date a black guy when i'm older, but i'm too scared of them.

• Yeah. it's sexist.
  • No. its not sexist.

Most Helpful Guy

• No it's not sexist, but you are stereotyping black men. This sort of thing is understandable because of the negative experiences you've had. This form of bigotry is the result of a form of inductive logic which, years ago, psychologists called it "the fault of stereotypical generalization". Logicians call it "hasty generalization", but, that's oversimplifying.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization

From a biological perspective, your bigotry makes sense. It's not that you are like "All black men are bad." but more like "Whenever I see a black man, avoid him or be cautious if you need to make contact with him, because black men have been known to be a source of pain in my life."

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 10

• Wouldn't that be more racist then sexist? since your fear is towards a specific race of men and not men in general.

• It's still sexist and internalized racism at it's finest.

• Sorry these things happen to you. Hopefully you can move on and enjoy a full happy life. There are plenty of assholes out there, just don't let the determine the type of person you become. Or else they win.

• sounds like you live in the hood
    when you are older leave
    there's plenty of black men that won't hurt you at all

• These goofs fail to realize the traumatic damage that can do to a person. Any any everyone is shaped by their environment, especially growing up. Im truly to sorry to hear those things.

• Omg you gone through a lot and its natural to feel that way maybe there is problem with your locality

• sexist? its called racist

• i dont blame ya many of the black people thta i went 2 high school with raped girls :/ which is fucked and cared guns.

• That's not sexist, that may sound racist but it is based on some bad experiences youve had. I assure you that this is not a racial issue though, those men are like that due to poor education and lack of resources not because they are black.

• No you have terrible experiences and you just feel bad because so many things happened in your life

What Girls Said 7

• I don't necessarily think it's sexist, but its kind of generalizing. Its hard to explain. Do you live in a bad neighborhood? The black guys' I've been around act NOTHING like that. Maybe, its just who you're surrounded with.

• It's fear and it is okay to be afraid. And being afraid depends on your experiences. And I was a stripper At the Cheetah Lounge in Atlanta Georgia and I was mugged by three white guys don't need a green garbage thing and robbed me. And I'm white. Now I carry a gun. I'm scared stiff of a gang of white guys. Is that racist? No because I'd be just as afraid of a gang of three black guys. That's called common sense don't worry you're an okay person

• not sexist because you've had bad experiences with them. obviously not all black guys are the same, but it's completely reasonable that you're scared of them.

• you seem aware of your own reasoning, obviously not all black men are gonna abuse u? u sound like u live in a dangerous neighborhood

it isn't sexist, you seem traumatized with PTSD

• Its not sexist more prejudiced. But I am black too and I know it could be scary. But personally its not just black men in my case. Its all men that scare me.

• A black guy said, I hope ya die! Today at school to me because I refused to give him candy so...

• A product of your surroundings, you feel unsafe that is why you have developed this fear of them.