What is a "young mother" to you?

I ask because I am 28 and about to give birth. I am really surprised that people keep calling me a young mother. I thought young mothers were at least a few years younger than me.
I do look a lot younger than my age, I get asked for ID everywhere, even on things that you only need to be 18 for, so maybe that's part of it, but even people who know my age say things like "oh you're a young mother anyway, so your body will bounce back faster" or "young mothers usually have less complications during labour, so you'll do ok" it's weird. I'm not even that far off from 30, and 30 is old.

Most Helpful Guy

• 30 isn't old. That's why. :)

Mothers are generally between the ages of 20 and 100. So yeah, you're a young mother.

• Thanks! And good luck with the bambino (or bambina).

Most Helpful Girl

• I think young mother would be mid-twenties at the latest. I don't think 28 is too young or would be considered a young mom. To me that would seem average.

I guess in society now most people are waiting to have kids.

I'm 26 and I feel like if I had a kid now I would feel like an old mom, like I waited forever. Because most of my friends already have a few kids, one has 4 kids. Most of my friends started at 18. So I'm going to be an 'old mom' if I have kids any time soon! (which is crazy to think about!). Lots of people are pressuring me to have kids right now and I want to wait until I find someone.

• I was the same, all my friends have had their kids years ago. The only thing with that is my kids won't get to play with their kids growing up. I will say though, babysit their kids a lot haha, so when you have yours, they'll owe you one and babysit for yours lol.
      Don't feel pressured either. Their not the ones who'll be raising the baby, so it's not down to them to talk about when you "should" be having them. It's changing your whole life, not theirs. Don't mind them.

• That's the thing. I'm not close to a lot of them anymore because they were raising infants while I was in college. I had to move away to go to school and some of them got mad bc I could never go to see them (didn't have a car). It's hard when most of your friends had kids early, because you are right, our kids will never get to play with our friend's kids. It's kind of sad. But life goes on I guess.

What Guys Said 15

• I would also consider you a "young mother". I think it depends a bit where you are from. For example in the US, a lot of people get married and have kids ridiculously early (19, 20, 21). In my country and generally in most countries in western Europe, the average age to have your first child is around 32-33. Part of the reason for this is that in Europe, higher education takes longer than in the US and young adults cherish this stage of their lives more, especially compared to conservative Americans (in America, being a young adult and going a little wild and crazy mostly applies to your college-yeears. In Europe on the other hand it already starts around 15 or 16 and it goes on until you're 29 or 30). We also have very, very few teenage pregnancies compared to America. In my country Switzerland, they're practically non-existent (they're so rare that the newspapers write about them if one occurs). So when I see a girl becoming a mother at age 27 or 28, I consider her pretty young. But that's not a bad thing. I'm 27 now and I basically feel ready to have a child. I wouldn't have a child at age 22 or 23 but if you're 28 and you feel ready for it, I think there's nothing wrong with it :-).

• I think that's about the right time. To me "young mother" might be early 20s or before. Mostly kids means kind of end of partying all night and so forth, late 20s to early 30s seems about good when you feel like you want a new responsibility and don't mind preoccupying yourself with your kids.

• To me a young mother is 20 and under. Average to me would be 24. My mother had me at 15 and that is what I consider a true young mother. Frankly it is ridiculous that people would consider 28 a "young" mother. Probably the same morons who think that you should wait until you're in your 30s to have kids.

• Because you are in the prime breeding years, I guess.
    People can really be fxxking stupid, So who knows :P

• No your old lol young is 18-22 and when j say old I mean regular not old lol. I wanna have kids in my 30s

• less than 28 y o

• I would say <25yrs old.

• 24 and below

• You might look young, but I don't think that's like a crazy age to have a kid...

• Teens

• teens.

• 18-23

• Under 25

• 30 is not old good lord why is my generation so fucking dumb.

• It's the age I've been dreading since my 18th birthday 😞 it is old. It's not old old, like 80 or something, but it's old.

• Cause 30 marks the last decade of your youth, by the time you hit 40 you are no longer young you are middle aged. 40-60 is middle aged and 60+ is old.

• Honestly... I *think* you are in a good position. I consider a young mother, in my opinion... anyone who has a kid under age 24.

What Girls Said 11

• A young mother for me is probably someone under 25. 28 doesn't seem young to me, though 30 is definitely not old.

• To me a young mom is 16-21 years old. I think your age is an ideal age to have kids because you're still young but at the same time you're not really young. If that makes sense!

• nope. haha! Young has to be 21!

• 30 isn't old to me. But yeah, you're a pretty average age for having your first child. I'd consider anything younger than mid 20's to be a young mother, but that's only my opinion.

• I think that in the past that was not young but it has become the norm to wait longer to have kids. Personally I want kids by the time I'm 28 and my mom had me when she was 28, I dont consider it a young mother but now-a-days a lot of people do.

• Yea, you might be right, a lot wait til their in their thirties these days, some even early forties. It's weird to think it's young though, I mean, in about 6 years, the risk for certain things in pregnancy goes up and you're classed as an older mother, so I don't know why people say I'm young. It's strange. I think the risk of having a downs syndrome baby goes up slightly in your thirties too, according to things I've been reading anyway.

• Yeah and I think a lot of it is that people don't want as many kids, it used to be the norm to have big families so you had to start younger, now everyone seems to only want 1-2 kids so they have the option of waiting longer. My mom had my youngest sister at 38 (she was a surprise) and she was considered and old mom.

• I think young mothers are around my age. Maybe like late teens to early twenties. 28 is like the perfect age to have kids. I wanna start having kids by that time👍🏼

• I usually think 20-25

• Under 25, I'd say

• Less then 21

• Teenagers. I wouldn't call you a young mother, but as you said, it might be because of your younger looks.

• I'd say under 25. Perhaps you look younger than you are.

• I do look much younger. I know I shouldn't care, but sometimes I'm embarrassed about being pregnant in public because I know people are looking at me thinking I'm a clueless teen mother or something. It'll be worse when I actually have the baby. A friend of mine, she's a year older, looks very young too and she has 2 kids and people make comments to her sometimes because they think she's a kid with kids.

• People make dumb comments no matter what. You can't do anything to stop them, haha. Just enjoy the ride. Plus, you'll be psyched to look young when you're 40+! :)