Solution to Racism is to Talk About it More or Less?

I noticed a number of black american's post a lot about race and racism on their facebook feeds (they're American but we're not in america). A lot of them tend to reply to people telling them to stop obsessing about it by saying "it's a big problem because you keep talking about it" to which their replies are generally centred around "we can only overcome racism if we talk about it"

I don't think this is a viable route... take the examples we have. The USA seems to have some of the biggest problems with racism as a whole, people think about it a lot more and it is the basis for discussion that surrounds all other discussions. I think talking about it a lot is more a case of trying to use it as a card to hold others down even if they haven't done anything.

that's why it seems like the UK, Ireland, sweden, germany etc have little problems with race, it's not obsessed about and it'd be rare for example to even hear people thinking about it in places like england.

• I think the Solution is to Talk about it MORE
  • I think the Solution is to Talk about it LESS
  • I think we need to stop talking about it AT ALL
  • other

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not that rare in Europe, it just isn't as fucked up as it is in America. Like in the UK, you'll get stopped and searched, in America you'll get shot.
    But there were riots back in the day in the UK, and then we had the Steven Lawrence murder, and both those two events led to a lot of discussion and so much changed after both of them. It's never really been as bad as America, we didn't have lynchings and things like that, so it's not needed to discuss it as much, but we are where we are today because it was discussed. If you just ignore a problem and don't talk about it, it won't be solved. It's like the gay rights getting better these days, it didn't happen because we all hushed it up and didn't speak about it, it happened because we spoke about it. It's the same thing. Racism, or any other type of prejudice and bigotry is purely down to ignorance, and people will remain forever ignorant if they're never taught, and they'll never be taught if it's never discussed.
    I'm half black, half white German, my grandparents were around in Germany in Nazi days... so you know they had issues. The only reason they got less racist over time is being educated.

Most Helpful Guy

• lol, those countries don't have racism? I don't know if they went through with it, but countries like france and germany fine (or considered) fining people for wearing muslim clothing. in the uk, during a soccer match, white fans made monkey chants towards black players...

but in either case, it shouldn't be talked about it any more or less. discussing race doesn't fuel racism. lack of empathy for another race fuels racism. just look at most of the people on here. let's be real. most of people on here are white and American. there are a lot of questions about how racism is overblown, it's not that bad, it's not their fault... maybe so; but i'm sure most aren't around black people (or any other race) enough to know the inherent differences in daily life. take a rich person... disclaimer, i'm not equating each to each other, but i'm making a comparison: they have lots of money. probably well off. well, when the recession hit, it's like them saying "oh, the recession isn't that bad, i still have enough money to buy a new car, send my kids to college, etc". not realizing that for most families, the recession is/was very real. i'll just leave it at that.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't necessarily think talking about it or not talking about it is going to change anything. By talking about it, you're honestly not going to change the opinion of someone who is racist. By not talking about it, you're just not talking about it, less stress on people like myself who hate racism and less anger from people who are racist getting all worked up, but at the end of the day racist people will be there either way. A lot of the problem in the US is media. Media drives and drives and drives racial wedges, and our president doesn't help those wedges with his uncalled for comments on events. Also people seem to see racism as a one way street, nope. It comes from every direction. I have been spit on and called a ni**er lover and then the next week I'm a rich white bitch stealing their men. Another thing... people are soooo race card happy. Everyone from every race is flashing their race card, it's ridiculous. Then back to the media, they push things on us, especially the past few years, to the point that I think many people from all races are feeling like they have their backs to the wall and obviously anyone like that is going to come out swinging and rightfully so. It's just bad all the way around.

• Lol, Europe has a lot of racial problems it just swept under the carpet, the number of white Europeans joining nationalist groups, NaZi and skin head groups is huge. I think talking about it and there being accountability by the white community would help. Like a sorry! Germany apologised to the Jews , they also don't talk about what happened either. what happened is in the past. Germany is probably next to England the least racist country also racism of any kind is illegal. granted a lot of people will argue minorities are treated better than German blood which in a way is true but they have better racial problems. plus the more diverse a place gets the more prejudice you will have. I think as long as people don't realize we are all the same akin color is just skin color and we are treated equal under god nothing will change

• a lot of racists are just ignorant and just need to meet black people and travel a bit, i don't think talking solves anything if they don't want to open their minds. Africans, American or otherwise, are not racially inferior for many reasons and africa is not a black land of savages with naked people holding sticks running around.

• I think we should talk about it less. Because the more you talk about race, the more differences you start to notice which helps to segregate people. The less we talk about it, the more people will see all races as just different versions of the human race lol. Then race will be less of a problem in future generations in my opinion.

• Role reversal

• Why are people on here so obsessed with black people. I bet whites go to bed dreaming about black people

• I have no interest in them. I was wondering why black people obsess over race. Specifically only white people

• Did you read the question? I'm asking why some black people seek bringing up race. I'm not living in a western country and neither are they. I was asking why they obsess about it

• I read your details and YES you are obsessed with black people

• I think keeping an open mind is key.

You can't negate a minority viewpoint and just tell them to shut up.

But minoroties can't assume everything that happens to them is BECAUSE of race.

People need to not "take sides" based on skin tone by itself. If all sides did this... People's see how much they have in common and also see how much factors like poverty, education, location, age, etc make a difference.

What Guys Said 10

• Europe can be very racist. The fact that they have to be diligent in stopping racist chants from occurring at football event tells you how insensitive many Europeans can be to the concept of racism. You will NEVER hear NFL, MLB or NBA fans as a whole chanting racist chants or throwing bananas on to the field/court when a black player is present.

Also you can't compare America and Europe in terms of race issues because those two places have completely different histories. Racism in the US is just as old as the country itself and was the main component (slavery) in building the nation, meanwhile in Europe, many of those countries like the UK, Ireland and Sweden have a history that goes back over 700 years ago and never really had a past in which racism encompass majority of it.

Talking about racism has done a wonderful job in improving race relations within the US. A black President or a black CEO or a black millionaire/billionaire would have been unheard of a mere 40 years ago, but after the nation started to openly address racial issues, all those things became a reality.

If you don't talk about issues then people automatically assume there isn't an issue and will become insensitive towards them. There's a reason why in terms of racial progress, the US has accomplished a lot, while places like Eastern and Southern Europe haven't accomplished anything. However, I will admit that the US talks about racism too much. IMHO I believe most of the racial issues in the US are truly socioeconomic issues at heart.

• I'm from continental Europe and I think it's also a bit different here than in the UK. I think we talk even less about it than in the UK, although the UK already talks way less about it than the USA. I think one reason for this big difference between America and Europe is also mentality. For example Americans are extremely emotional and they love to show their emotions openly. Also, most Americans love discussing controversial topics. This is not necessarily a bad thing but if you connect it with this fiery emotionality, it can easily lead to a lot of ugly fights and conflict in the society. In Europe, especially in the German speaking part of Europe where I live and in Scandinavia, we tend to be much more reserved and unemotional than Americans. This can sometimes come across as distant but it also gives people more space. We do discuss controversial topics as well but perhaps less in public and mostly just with our good friends. Also, another big difference is that politically and religiously speaking, the US is a MUCH more extreme country. Of course we have progressives and conservatives in Europe but the differences between them are much smaller. For example what is considered a conservative in some European country could easily pass as a progressive in the US. Connected to this and the issue of racism is also the issue of social equality. Because America is one of the most unequal countries in the world, it includes pretty severe poverty. Very poor people in America (people who live in ghettos or trailer parks) also tend to have a very bad education or little education at all. In Europe on the other hand - especially in continental Europe - education is cheap (or free) and widely available regardless of your social standing. For example in my country Switzerland, you can also get a very good degree if you come from a working class family. In America, this is not the case because public high schools suck and good colleges are not affordable for many poor people. This lack of education also leads to people being much more ignorant and intolerant and that in turn leads to racism. So one place to start preventing racism would certainly be social equality and a decent education reform.

Now, another factor that needs to be mentioned here is that racism in Europe is very different from racism in the US. In the US, it's all about ethnicity (in the German speaking part of the world, we avoid to use the word "race" for pretty obvious, historical reasons), In

• Europe on the other hand, it's more about nationality. For example some people in my country Switzerland don't like Germans not so much although we have the same ethnicity and we even have a similar culture. This difference also leads to racism being less obvious when it occurs.
      Generally speaking, I believe that speaking about racism is a good thing and it's important to have a conversation going about these topics in a society. HOWEVER, America is absolutely obsessed with this topic. There is no single day when I log on to GaG and there aren't at least 5 race-related questions on here. Interestingly, even Canadians are not so obsessed with the topic. So I do agree with you. I think that Americans talk WAY too much about this topic and it would be healthier for everybody and for the peace in the society if Americans talked less about it. Honestly, I also can't see how it's making anything better. Maybe it would be better to talk less about it and show your opinion in your actions.

• Listen if a person singles themselves out then that is the exact power you gave to those who pinned you out. "Like the ridiculous action Black Lives Matter Movement" If you are yelling out abruptly that your life is relevant than you alone are putting yourself out their. Color doesn't exist to to the sightless. So if that is all it takes to make a person feel relevant as an equal that just put down the measuring stick and letting others define you as different.
    We are all human we eat shit and die the same. Unless you eat kale then you do shit differently. If you eat kale then you should be discriminated , thats just wrong.

So unless your are not human , SHUT IT.

• In the history of America the Irish were treated as poorly as the African American people. The reasons why it's no longer the case is because the Irish integrated themselves into American coulture. If you hold yourself separate and hold onto old grudges others have no reason to include you. So the first part of loosing racism is to no longer recognize yourself as a separate group. To not hold yourself apart, to integrate. Until African Americans no longer see themselves first as AA's then Americans second everyone else will see them as AAs 1st and Americans second.

• The Irish were able to integrate into the society because the majority (Anglo-Saxon Americans) allowed them to integrate as time went on. The Irish slowly began to acquire important positions (police officers, firefighters and etc) as early as the 1890s.

Blacks just like the Irish tried to integrate as well, but every time they did they were either killed, beaten, lynched or discriminated against. Redlining policies by banks coupled with segregation in the South made it even more difficult for Blacks to truly integrate in the society. It truly wasn't until the 1970s that Blacks were given the full green light to integrate unfortunately by the time that occurred, Blacks had already created their own distinct subculture.

The reason why AA's see themselves as AA 1st and Americans 2nd is not out of choice but because of how America has historically treated them. I'm positive the same goes for Native Americans as well.

• @Starrk You may be correct, I just know that it's hard for others to include you when you exclude yourself.

• The more we talk about race the more whites are going to realize how much race actually does matter... blacks would be better off dropping it.

It will definitely not be dropped, obviously. Blacks protest and rally over verbal insults, or over police killing black criminals. (And if you're on tape strong arm robbing a gas station, yes, you are a criminal Mike Brown!)

Soon whites are going to be following suit and when things happen like a black marine murders a white college girl after a party... www.people.com/.../twitter-photo-lead-police-to-marine-who-allegedly-killed-texas-sorority-girl

Well, whites won't be waving signs and calling for safe spaces, I'll say that much.

• These people are nothing more than butthurt race-baiters who try to escalate the situation in unnecessary ways. We GET it already, you people have inferiority complexes because of the past. We get the picture, now shut up, stop race-baiting and move on with your lives while relying on welfare.

• To stop being racist 💁🏻

• Talk about real instances more and stop looking for and making up cases of it.

• The problem is racism still and always will exist. Black people hate white people, some white people hate black people. It's really all a struggle for power for them. They're not content being equal to the whites, they see them as deserving of the same oppression they faced themselves. They want to rise up on top and be better than white people. And that's even ignoring the racists white people out there.

Thus racial equality and peace will never come.

• "C" all da way bro...

BAN those fucking questions about racial differences (and feminism and "Am I fat?" as well) from here... everything'd become smoother once it happens... trust me...