Why do females seem to think we guys should be impressed by the fact that they've gone to college?

As if a college degree or education makes them in some more attractive or able to date. I know they especially love posting their college creds on dating sites, as if it should mean something about their personal value or quality of love.

Most Helpful Guy

• A college degree does not impress me. What does impress me is if she is mature and if she treats me and others well.

What Girls Said 12

• I am getting the sense that someone didn't go to college themselves...

• Why does a woman need an education after all? She only needs to be able to cook a decent meat loaf and bend over on command.

• There's a difference between an education and actual intelligence.

• You're trying to be tongue-in-cheek but you just look stupid, since you're not intelligent enough to see what the point was.

• Blah blah blah. Women need to know their place, no one cares if they accomplish anything, they have no value beyond their vaginas, etc etc. Have I missed anything?

• Just because you missed your chance at college doesn't mean that the work others have put in is meaningless. You talk about how you want "real intelligence" but you're obviously ignorant to work, time, and tears that go into getting a degree.

It's okay to have a different worldview. It's not okay to dismiss the work others have put into theirs.

• I didn't miss any chance, I chose not to go because college doesn't have any use for me. The "work" that they put it into it is their choice, not what was expected from them, and doesn't define their character or inner self, or add value to them as a person.

• Oh yes it does. Believe me. I'm sure that a few sociology and women's gender studies classes could help you get in touch with reality. Most people disagree with you if you haven't noticed by now lol. It's not just me.

• @babylips14 I have studied sociology and women's gender studies through the years, and it doesn't make what you study be the be-all-end-all to the situation. If you're talking about people here disagreeing with me, it's just a website, not real life, so it wouldn't matter to me. However, interestingly enough I have had plenty of people here agree with me, even females, though I don't need their agreement nor would it change my mind if I didn't have it. So for you, it helps you to feel better if you can find people who don't agree with me. Just because everybody thinks the same thing, doesn't necessarily make it right or fact. And in the same way, just because only one person thinks something, doesn't make it wrong or untrue.

For someone who thinks I'm a fool, you clearly have much, much more to learn.

• These days, I'm pretty much impressed with anyone who is not LAZY, period!

Just do SOMETHINg! It could be anything! Not necessarily a degree, but some sort of plan, aspiration or goals you plan to achieve for the future... Not just live day by day and always depending on someone.

And that's not just for men, it's for everyone.

Do something with your life, not for impressing others, but rather do it for YOURSELF! So that one day you can look back at what you have and be able to say "this is mine, I got all this on my own".. Even if it's not something grand and fabulously glamorous, but just simply yours. And THAT'S where you impress people... Or at least the people who value achievements through hardwork... and those people are the ones worth impressing! And not those who only value you based on if you can afford the most expensive house and such...

• And having a degree means nothing if you can't excel in what you studied... Sometimes it's just shameful and depressing, when you spent so much time and MONEY in a profession (studies), in a field in which may never even become a part of your life... And end up doing something completely different!

If she worked hard to pay for her schooling, then that's something to admire however!!! Because school is expensive if you live in the states.

• Well said.

• Probably because she's going somewhere other than a dead end job like a retail store or a restaurant for her life.

• Working those types of jobs don't devalue you as a person, and in the same a college history or career doesn't make you valuable as a person either.

• Right. But I don't care about being in a relationship with someone based on whether they can help me pay bills or not. If that's what it's about for you that's clearly and sadly a shallow goal.

• It's not, I'm just answering your question.

• Isn't having an education desirable in a partner? I thought it was.

• Being intelligent is what matters. I really couldn't care less about her college history because college doesn't make a woman smart, it just teaches her about the fields she's studied in, but has no link to her personal intelligence. There's a difference.

• Do some people actually post grades on dating sides?

But I think maybe you're misinterpreting what they're doing. Stating your degree says a lot about you. What kind of interest you have, what kind of job and lifestyle you're likely to have.
    If you're an artsy person or more into science. Stuff like that

• But doesn't tell me anything about you as a person, or your character.

• "I don't think a sentence ever bothered me" what are you complaing about then?

• I think "complaining" is just about how you see it.

• Going to college is a big achievement and an educated person is immensely more attractive than an uneducated person in my opinion.

Sure, some college degree are worthless but let's say that I meet someone with an engineering degree... I'd be very impressed with them overall as a human being. Versus someone who didn't go to college.

• I wish if I spent my 5.2 years cooking & training I'll just post my Accounting degree in the wall , I prefer to be Housewife & run my own business

• That's what the media keeps telling us. However some guys want an educated woman.

• Why? You jealous because you didn't go to college?

• Oh I'm not jealous, trust me. I actually chose not to go because college has no use for me, and doesn't have anything to do with this question concerning females and THEIR college experience.

• And that probably is true in your case, and I wouldn't disagree with that, but not for some others. You're the only one who answered this and actually got me. FINALLY, lol.

• Lol! Thanks. :p

• Most of them, I think, are trying to show that they're intelligent without saying "I'm intelligent."

Believe it or not, that trait matters to many men, though the specific degrees do not.

What Guys Said 8

• The essential answer is that people have been brainwashed into thinking that men and women think the same.

Women are impressed by status. So, most women assume that men are also impressed by status. A university degree is currently an indicator of status.

• I don't think it's about expecting guys to automatically throw themselves at them (that would be a little silly) but more about showing something that took them 4(ish) years to do. I'd put mine on my profile if I was on a dating site. It would be a good talking point, an indicator to my interests and career (/career aspirations) as well as being something that took up years of my life.

Why not?

• Many college courses you can sleep through and still pass.

• it depends on the individual. some care and some don't. i wouldn't care because if i like the person why would i refuse over someone career path. a job is a job to make money

• Lol I know this always make makes me laugh.

• I agree...

• As long as they have a promising future then I don't care if they have a degree or not. if they'll have crappy jobs that don't pay much then I'd rather not be with one. I don't want to be the one supporting them with lots of money. I want someone who can hold their own weight whether that be with or without a degree.

• Because they assume we think like them.