What would you do if you learned you were related to Adolf Hitler?

Your family finally learns the truth: one of your female ancestors (which one depends on how old you are) had a thing with young Adolf Hitler at some point before he got into politics and gave birth to an illegitimate child. You descended from that child. What would you feel about this?

Most Helpful Guy

• As a historian, I would actually find that very intriguing. There are real, actual descendants of relatives of Hitler alive today but most of them changed their last names into something like Hindler or Hitter or Hutt (l) er after the war. The fact that my ancestor was Hitler wouldn't bother me too much morally speaking. I might share a couple of genes with him but that doesn't make me a bad person. Racism has not to do with genes but with social factors. People like Ghandi or Nelson Mandela could have easily been brutal racists had they grown up under different circumstances. At the same time, Hitler could possibly have been a very different person too. In fact, with some luck, he could have become a different person even if he had grown up under the same circumstances. And at the same time, I'm convinced there are thousands of people on this planet right now that are just as bad as Hitler. The only difference is that most of these people are normal, average Joes and don't have the tools to do something large-scale with their racism while Hitler was "lucky" to be at the right place on the right time. So eventually, it doesn't really matter too much if my ancestor is Hitler or perhaps some other no-name psycho. I know my family tree about 6 generations back and these ancestors all seem to have been pretty normal, respectable folks but I'm sure there's something creepy lurking in every family history.

What Guys Said 5

• Great? the actions of someone else don't dictate my own. Pretty common about how racism is seen as nowadays, for instance some white people get reprimanded because of their ancestors, that doesn't mean they were bad people at all. The human race is neither bad nor good. We always try to put labels on things we deem necessary but in fact we want to make something out of nothing in response to the bad things we have personally done. People with bad ancestors are irrelevant, its foolish to think otherwise.

• That would explain my instincts for world domination. I always thought it was just for the sex, but hey.. being related to hitler would also make sense.

• I wouldn't be able to change it thus I'd have to live with it.

• Not much I can do, just knowing I am not like him will have to do

• Nothing. There's not one thing I could do about it. I wasn't responsible for what he did. He had been dead for 19 years before I was even born.

What Girls Said 7

• continue to live my life. we're all related to someone who's done something awful/fucked up at some point. that doesn't make us like them.

• This is how I get treated anyway because I'm part German. No, I'm serious. People really are that ignorant and racist. And I'm certainly no Nazi except for a Grammar Nazi maybe.

• I don't think I'd care

• Are you hinting at something?

• Personally I wouldn't tell anyone, scared they would think I "came back to finish what he started" or something.

• I would keep it quiet i wouldn't want to be associated with that evil man and all he stands for. I would feel so ashamed.

• I'd be confused because my family's history is Jewish...

• That wouldn't be THAT surprising to me...

• I said I'd just be confused.

• Can't change it, gotta move forward and be the best person you can be. Tons of us have some unsavory ancestors/relatives and say fuck it, I am not my bloodline!