How do you (did you) feel when you get discriminated on your ethnicity?

I recieved so much hate in High school due to being Polish AND German I'd get "you Polish Nazi Jew" a lot lmao. I just laughed it off ont he inside afterwards, but took it badly on the outisde and reacted to it when there was really no reason for that reaction.

It's important to realise recists are just ingornt and undeductaed and fear change.

And how do you react to it?
Racists* ignorant* uneducated* fml

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I've had many run-ins with ignorant people that prejudged and hated me because of my skin color. It doesn't bother me as much anymore. Does it suck that people can be so cruel? Yup. But you know you're better than anything they say about you. Keep your head up.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 15

• I sometimes got hateful comments by "true Romanians" for having Hungarian ancestry too, not just Romanian. Like "you don't even know Romanian, you are translating with Google", "Hungarians have nothing to do in this country!", etc. I just don't give a sh*t, because those that throw comments like these have mostly nothing in their heads. 😂
    Once I even heard "I'm not racist because I love Asians, but I'm racist towards blacks and Hungarians", you can see how stupid these "true Romanians" are.

• Nazi Jews? What?

I've never been discriminated against for my race because I'm white and I live in Britain. I have had to deal with other forms of discrimination during my life. Thankfully I known that I'm a better person than them, I learnt this at a young age and have taken comfort from it when people have been vile to me. Fuck them. People who hate others for no good reason don't live happy lives. Love is life and hate is living death... I prefer to have love in my life.

• "I've never been discriminated against for my race because I'm white and I live in Britain."

Even whites can be discriminated by non whites or other whites.

• @Rainie_ it's extremely common where I'm from too! It will never change sadly but it's certainly decreasing.

• @Rainie_ I took it to mean the colour of my skin. I have never been discriminated against because of the colour of my skin. I'm Welsh myself.

• Mmmm not really, i was once told by a Russian priest to go back to my country. Yeah, funny since he himself is not French LOL, he randomly came to me and my black friend, asked us if we were Muslim then went on saying how should go back Home. I replied to him by saying it's so sad that a man of faith who is supposed to be tolerant and kind has such a hateful speech and I left. That's the only incident I can think of.

• haha if I were in that situation, I'd tell him to re-evaluate what he just said... lmao

• Yeah when I hear someone begin racist I think they come from backward life lol

• I'm half German. It's obvious as I have that total Germanic look. I get asked disgusting Nazi questions all the time when I am the farthest thing from a Nazi. Yes, people are prejudiced against anyone of Germanic descent and think we are Nazis. I've had to deal with it my whole life.

• Oh hey, I'm part Polish and German, too! But I'm a mix of so much others as well, lol. I didn't get a lot of discrimination. I moved around to various countries every two years, so I didn't really pay attention to what people said.

• I'm part Polish and German too! But people don't really care about "what type of white you are" here - as long as you're white you usually don't get discriminated against. Anyone else, on the other hand...

And those people sound like morons.

• Oh yeah that's true, it's not like that for me anymore, just got a lot of racism at high school, bit in primary, seen as an outcast because I was a fucking minority...

Yeah the are morons

• Once again I'm so confused by the idea of "you look German/Polish/whatever therefore let's discriminate against you!" In the U. S. - if you're white, you're white. It's everyone else that gets discriminated against :/ but I've never heard of someone saying "oh you're German" or "oh you're French/Dutch/Polish/Norwegian/etc." I guess that's more relevant in the UK/Europe where countries have been at war on and off for centuries so it's important if you're French/Spanish/etc. - yes? no?
      (Then again that wasn't true 100 years ago about the U. S. - the Irish, for example, were treated like dirt. Kind of fascinating how things used to be, if also not ok.)

• Yeah it's had to understand why people re like that, just sad that a lot of people judge on ethnicity etc

• Everytime I mention that I'm German to someone, I'll get "so are you a Nazi?" My Russian Jewish friends also like to make fun of me by calling me Nazi and it's super annoying. Also one time three years ago I was at my Albanian boyfriend's house and his dad proceeded to ask him "Why is that Mexican in our house" because this was back when I had tanned skin for being in the sun for hours and short Dora hair so I looked more Hispanic.

• Yeaah I get that too!! Always "oh you're a Nazi then are you?" gets so annoying
      Yeah people can be quick to judge! Hope it;s fine now :)

• I mean, the only thing that happens to me is that I get "randomly" selected at the airport a lot.

• Statistically there would be someone that is selected a lot so maybe the inverted commas aren't needed.

• @Josht11 and when you can't really know for sure it's inappropriate to assume that it is the worst of the scenarios. That's the problem. When it becomes a stereotype that people are discriminated in this way or that way people think about it in terms of that. The fact that it is a stereotype is used as evidence that they are experiencing it in the same way

• @Doofey literally every time I go to the airport, they "randomly" select me. Ever since I turned 18. Even if I were a person that was statistically chosen more than your average person, that still seems off to me.

• I was more discrimintated against because of where I was from and it made me feel less than human. Like I was a green slimy thing that came from a strange planet. That is part of why I don't really talk to people right away

• i legitimately hate to say this, but it's happened quite a few times, but one that sticks out in my mind is this women who was making monkey gestures at me, that somewhat hurt, I get things like "you don't speak like a black person", or "you're pretty for a black girl" quite often, but I don't see it as discrimination as such, due to the fact that the intentions weren't entirely negative

• They're absolute ignorant retards! Say something simple to them such as "grow up" or go back to school, something that simple will annoy :)

• It's irritating.

• Awhh Paul!! That's sooo sad!! 😭😭😭😭

• I've been discriminated against for being white, does that count? In my area, there are many jobs reserved for people of specific cultural backgrounds. It's gotten so bad that only about 20% of the jobs in my industry are open to Caucasians, even though we make up probably 70% of the population here.

• I come from "white trash" stock and a rural area people can tell. Many think I'm stupid before getting to know me, even though I graduated college with a 3.9 gpa. I was pulled over in the "ghetto" by a cop who thought I was buying heroin because most white girls who look like me there are doing just that.

What hurts my feelings most is that one of my coworkers hassles me a lot for my background. She makes negative comments about my looks a lot and frequently insinuates that I must be a closet racist. I am really uncomfortable around her, but can't do anything about it. Ironically, although she is black and I am white, I grew up much poorer than she did. I really like getting along with everyone, so I don't know what to do. I get along with all of my other coworkers (black, white, old, young, gay, straight) just fine. 😟

• That's her problem! Tell her to get lost, ignore her or just talk to her and ask what her problem is and try to resolve the situation.

• I'm afraid she'll take anything I say the wrong way, which could be big trouble. So I just keep my mouth shut.

• Why big trouble? It's her problem, if she reacts why should you care or even try to reason with someone who's too ignorant to realise you're the humane/more logical one :)

What Guys Said 21

• I am white, but, unlike most whites that have any kind of Irish heritage (including my immediate family), I have a lot of traits that originated from or are strongly associated with the Irish, all of which are immediately and clearly visible. When I was young, school for me was a nightmare, especially elementary school. I was constantly made fun of, picked on, and bulled for those Irish traits. I recall several times crying really hard in the morning and begging my parents to let me stay home. They never did. They always made me face it and deal with it.

As I grew, I started lifting weights for that purpose (so I could deal with them) and I wound becoming a star athlete in high school, so it largely ended then (though I still come across the occasional idiot every now and then). The fact that my parents always made me face it and deal with it made it harder at the time, but in retrospect that's probably why it made me stronger in the end.

In college, I started dating black women (I now date both). I got it from both whites and blacks for it. The whites that I heard it from or who talked to me about it (I'm not talking about the occasional public stares or sneers or hushed comments) seemed to know that what they felt was wrong and wished that they didn't feel that way. It was more of an intellectual discussion than anything else.

The same was not true of a lot of blacks. They said some truly heartless and vile things to them just for dating a white man. Of course, they'd always deny it to me. I would have married one of them, but she wouldn't do it because of her family. Maybe now you can understand why some racial opinions expressed on here (especially the recent "sexual racist" shit) really pisses me off.

I'm not saying that this is true of all whites or all blacks, but it has been my personal experiences. (Although If you do a google search on white men dating black women, what I have experienced does seem fairly common.)

• Jeees! Then again haters just gonna hate... Ignorance etc can't change their minds, take is a compliment though when they discriminate. What were the family saying to you?

• polish nazi jew?

that is one of the more confusing epithets i've ever heard. i was discriminated against a few times. it's dehumanizing. it just makes you feel horrible that people see you for nothing more than your race, ethnicity, gender, etc. OR make judgments about you based purely on those things

• Many Russians who live here in Latvia aren't exactly the frendliest bunch. A lot of them think all of us are neo-fascists and nazi colaborators n shit.

There's even this Russian guy on GAG who has something for me but I dunno and don't care what's his problem.

Then there's this recurring guy, who has been banned more than once, who's profile's 'what's your mood' picture had a concentration camp with "kill al lythos" written on it. Apparently he hates Lithuanians and the other Balts as well.

• Racism is part and parcel of a class society. It makes the rich rich and guards them against united resistance by the rest of us.

And it's as bad towards most European ethnics as it is toward blacks, but the media tries to pretend otherwise.

• I've had people describe me as an Aryan God or a true Germanic who walked through the German woods 1000 years ago

And I've had people call me a Nazi because of my appearance - Which did hurt me at first but National Socialism is actually no evil ideology - there were only people who perverted it - the same happened to Communism by the way...

• When I was in Western New York in the suburbs of Buffalo from 96 to 99, I was pretty much discriminated every day in school by students and even school nurse and bus driver. Even few teachers weren't great but yeah, I was pretty much called Iraqi, terrorist, immigrant, Arab and kept being told to go back to Iraq and Middle East in school even though I'm ethnically an Indian. Those were really depressing years and I hated being Indian as a kid because of it.

• Depends on how you define discrimination. I was never hated, picked on, or treated hostilely per se, but oftentimes it was simply that people would think lowly of me and assume that I was underachiever with no future simply because I was Mexican America. I responded to it by constantly proving them wrong with my academic achievements and being a staunch Republican.

• Good on you man! But you don;t even have to prove anything to them... the idiots deserve nothing form you.

• North Indian and never been out of India. Never been hated in my own state but I had to stay in south india for 3 years once. I was the odd one for being the palest person in probably whole school and had very straight hair. I was like a walking specimen. Some people stopped me to just touch my skin to see if it was real. They thought I applied makeup as they were all very very dark brown or almost black with curly hair. Plus my accent was different.

• lmao, you're white dude!

do you know what indians, pakis, punjabs, black people and orientals go through? lmfao

• I know It's true but it's the same on both sides always

• Yeah it'll alays be there, do YOU think "preference" is racist then?

• I wasn't are before but these articles are saying it is. www.google.ca/search

• I don't in particularly, because I'm too busy focusing on stuff that actually matters.
    ... I don't actually do anything, so that's kind of a lie...

• Damn that's a creative insult you polish nazi jew bloody amazing I'll have to remember to use that one.

• To answer your question though it's never happened other than someone saying like once you dumb white cracker on the internet on you cracked teeth britbong (4chan comes up with some great insults for us British), I really don't care tbh.

• Yeah a lot happens everywhere, just important to not give a fuck

• I'm too awesome to be discriminated 😂 lol
    But yeah girls here usually say this to me a lot
    "What? You're from there? You're different from them..." Which is something positive :P

• I feel angry really , but I just look at them and say good for you and ignore them that's how you make then more angry

• Pretty much. Yeah. Know how much being an Indian sucks on Gag?

• Those who discriminate against Indians... again just ignorance

• Truth bruda. Many people like wearing masks.

• Yah and conformity

• I never let it bothered me. I'm in the US and I have had crap before for having a Muslim name. It's always awesome with veterans who fought in Iraq though... they can recognize Arabic language from miles away... LOL.

• The veterans give you hate?

• I know, right? You can find almost every race in the US army...

• Exactly!! Doesn't make sense... just dem rednecks

• Polish Jamaican checking in.

right there with you mate. I've experienced being too white to fit in with blacks, and being too black to fit in with whites, as well as a variety of namecalling based on my environment.

tldr people are fucking stupid

• They said a few times split-eye or gook or whatever it is called in English (on the street). About my ethnicity not so much, just some jokes that Im use to now.

• I have Dutch friends and they say there's a fair amount of discrimination there?

• I think that depends in which part of the country you live in. There is less racism in bigger cities since there are more people mixed together.

• "Polish Nazi Jew" quite the creative bunch huh? not the brightest... but still...

when people barrage me with racist stuff, i just smile knowing i am better than them ^_^

• yeaah partly banta but got too far sometimes -_-

Haha exactly! xD I wish i had realised that waay sooner haha

• Cheers when people hate on you because of something you have no control over.

• I've never knowingly been discriminated for my ethnicity.

• I just remind myself that I can say "thanks for the warning, officer" and "I love you, dad".