Why is Hydrogen Gas a good fuel alternative?

Why is hydrogen gas a good alternative for fuel? How does it work? Do you see any problems with hydrogen gas in cars?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hydrogen has a high octane rating which is a good indication of its power output. It also has no pollution since when it burns it forms water as a product. It essentially is like an LPG system except it works at higher pressures.

This is where the problems come in since high pressures can be very lethal if anything were to go wrong. However it can be done safely since carbon fibre tanks are basicly indestructible but its the delivery points which are the concern. If a car enters a crash then you want the critical points to be well sealed otherwise an explosion can happen.

But its proven that it can be done safely but its still a concern and is the main argument against mass production of hydrogen cars. There have been cars made like the Honda which is legal in California.

The main reasons however that it hasn't been mass produced yet isn't because of the safety. Thats just a front. Its actually because it has economical viability issues since hydrogen is really cheap and can be made really simply in anyones backyard. You just perform electrolysis on water and you can make hydrogen yourself. Also oil companies have been fiercely against the proposal of hydrogen cars since that would dramatically affect their profitability.

In my opinion, hydrogen is the future since it has to be one of the best fuel sources and its proven since they use it in rockets which need the largest power output per volume. Its cheap and easy to make. And other alternatives such as electric cars just can't compare to the power requirements needed.

• Yep, I know about the safety issues and I see it as quite sad. Its a great alternative, its better for the planet, its cheaper instead of what used to be $4 something a gallon for gas and even though the price for gas has gone down because of Isis you never know when the prices could reach high again, and aren't we way more abundant in hydrogen than oil? But I totally agree with you, I see it myself as the future too even though there is a lotto controversy on it. Thanks for the extra piece of information I didn't know myself :))

• Oh yeah definitely. Hydrogen is probably the most abundant element in the universe. You just have to extract it from its compounds most commonly obviously is water. And its actually a renewable energy since you get it from water and then you use it and it turns back into water. So its recyclable and you can never run out.

Oil is different where it burns into its carbon oxide forms and then slowly over time it gets back to the plants and earth and then millions of years to decompose and compress into an oil form deep in the ground. And even then it might not reach that stage since it gets caught in the atmosphere and causes global warming.

What Guys Said 9

• They say it is good because the only waste product is water/steam. Therefore there is no pollution and no harmful gases being pumped into the air that harm human health. There is also no CO2 emissions which people believe are causing global warming. The problem with hydrogen is it is very explosive and when you have a tank of hydrogen in your car well you know what can happen. They are looking into ways of solving that danger.

• drinkable water comes out of the "exhaust" pipe!
    Problem is it has an expensive economies of scale.

• True but isn't it much better for the Earth unlike gasoline?

• @Applefan1 AGREED, fossil fuels should have been history, I should have grown up without them. Too bad they are some of the most powerful companies in the world and own some politicians, lobbying, etc.

Asker - Yes it is more sustainable, that's exactly what I am saying :)

• Yes we have had fossil fuels now for more than 100 years. You would have thought in 100 years they would have come up with something better.

• It's not. It generally has a negative net energy gain. While it is abundantly available in organic molecules such a methane and in water it takes large energy inputs to produce. It does have a relatively clean byproduct (water vapor), but energy has to come from somewhere and that cheap energy usualy comes from fossil fuels... So you tend to use more calories of energy to make hydrogen then you get to use when it runs through a vehicle.

• I didn't know some of that and here I thought I was pretty well knowledged in this forte. So which do you prefer the use of - hydrogen or gasoline? Seeing as they both have their setbacks.

• Based on the current infrastructure in the USA (pipe lines, storage tanks, fuel delivery trucks/trains/ships, etc.), I believe the solution will come in the form of biodiesel. The feedstock for fatty acids for methyl esters will likely come from genetically modified algae or cyanobacteria. Take a look at some of the research they are conducting at UC Davis for starters if you're interested.

• 1|0
  • Too much steam is bad for atmosplere also, so i hope that kind of invention fails and 100% electric cars conquers all the world, if they get reusable, reciclable, non polution batteries that recharche quickly, like it seems researchers are being able to do :)

• Because hydrogen gas will do your homework for you AND clean your room!

• Plain hydrogen? Probably not a great idea.

There is, however a molecule that is similar to water (in that it has two hydrogens and one oxygen) but is rearranged as HHO , rather than HOH. Takes lots of energy to create though so it's not really a realistic option.

• CNG is better

What Girls Said 0