Do you compare yourself to other guys (if you're a guy) or girls (if you're a girl)?

• Yes. Often.
  • Yes. Sometimes.
  • Rarely but yes
  • No
  • I compare myself to myself
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, psychologically I would argue that WE ALL compare ourselves to others, whether we know it or not and whether we like it or not. We're a highly social species, perhaps the most social species of all on our planet. Caring what others think and feel (also about ourselves) is a social skill that we have evolved over a very long time and for some very good, biological and social reasons.
    However, what I can say is that I try to not compare myself too much consciously. I don't have power over my unconscious and like I said, I'm certain there are also good aspects about comparing yourself. But I do try to limit my behavior insofar that I reduce the negative comparisons as much as possible. I do have some physical insecurities (I'm very confident about my character and my mental skills) but that's just my thing. I don't really talk about them because I don't think it will make anything better. When I was a teenager, it used to be pretty tough sometimes but I'm 27 now and I've come a long way. I've learned to accept myself pretty well. There's a prayer called "Serenity Prayer" by Friedrich Niebuhr that I really like (although I'm not religious ;-)). It actually originates back to ancient Greek philosopher Epictetes (without the god reference, obviously):
    "God, give me grace to accept with serenity
    the things that cannot be changed,
    Courage to change the things
    which can be changed,
    and the Wisdom to distinguish
    the one from the other."

Most Helpful Girl

• Very rarely.

What Guys Said 10

• No, not really. I'm pretty self confident, so there isn't really anything that another guy has for me to compare to.

Physically, I believe that I got very lucky, genetically. I'm tall, well built, and have nothing to be envious of.

I have a good job, a good car, and a good life. Sure, there will always be someone out there that is better than I am, at least in some ways, but I don't compare myself. I'm happy with what I have, and if I want more, I will work for it.

• Nope. I never compare myself to anybody, that's just a bad thing to do. I do not want to resemble to others, I am myself. If you start comparing yourself, you'll judge your own person through criteria that are often subjective (beauty etc.) It makes you jealous of others, and you try to change your own nature. Just try to let go of that judgement subjectivity. I always try to follow this quote of Jean Cocteau : "what others reproach you, develop it : it's you."

• i used to, more specifically when i played sports.

• Compare in what way?

• In any sort of way.

• I used to compare my physical "assets" to other boys when I was in middle school as we changed for gym class, but I don't feel the need to do that anymore. At some level, almost everyone has compared themselves to others in some way.

• I compare myself to everyone

• Compare in what way exactly?

• Like comparaison in a good way like of someone got a higher grade than me I see what he did and say I must get a higher grade , or someone having a better body than I have I see what he did and try to do like him , more like a good comparison but not like envy or something coz everyone got something he's good at I try to see this in everyone

• LIKE... how da fack does this thug get such a babez and not sumbooty like meh? Feel meh baby?

• I won't compare me with any one.

• YES. A lot.

• in what ways?

• Built and body hair wise.
      I hey are mostly way less hairy then me :(

• I don't compare myself to anyone, in no way what so ever

What Girls Said 4

• This passage comes from Desiderata.. I quote.. "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself." .. End Quote.

• yes to both unfortunately...
    I can be very competitive :/

• Nope. I have no reason to compare myself to others.

• Of course, who doesn't?