Do you think it's appropriate to portray people with cancer as being either brave or heroes?

Or does it just make them unfortunate?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. Obviously it is unfortunate that they have cancer, but that is exactly why they deserve some level of recognition for fighting and dealing with something so incredibly difficult. They don't need to be treated as though they just saved the world, but I see no reason not to acknowledge their bravery.

• Here's one reason: because there's nothing brave about it, there only doing it to save their own life. I mean what else would they do? That's like calling a dog viscous for biting you after you chased it into a corner.

• It's A definition, sure.

• Correction, it's the definition

DONE!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Trying it again you anonymous cowardly bully?

• Well this wouldn't happen if people didn't force this BS on me in the first place, but karmas' a bitch ain't it?

• That's funny because I graduated at the top of my class and in the standardized tests for university graduates I got in the top 11%

• Have fun with that

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• I think it's highly appropriate.
    They face death and fight the good fight, battle their fear to battle the disease. That's bravery. Some people would like to be braver than they are, perhaps as brave as a cancer patient. This makes them heros to some. And they got cancer, and that is pretty unfortunate.

• Facing death doesn't make one a hero and cancer isn't a fight or battle.
      battles have winners and losers, diseases have victims and survivors.

• I'm not going to argue with you mate. People with, or who have survived cancer are brave and are heros by definition.

People who face fear are brave. From the dictionary:
      Brave
      brāv/Submit
      adjective
      1.
      ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage.

Hero defined from same:

he·ro
      ˈhirō/
      noun
      1.
      a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities

I understand you're are unimpressed with real life heros. But not every battlefield has thousands of unauthorized American infantry on it.

I hope you never have to find that out first hand.

Cheers.

• The definition is READY to face danger, (Ready=> willing). Did people with cancer willingly get put in that situation? NO. That's like calling a dog viscous for biting you after you chased it into a corner.

• A bit for both, actually. They are unfortunate for having got cancer, but they're also brave for fighting it out.

• Not really, what else would they do if their life's in danger?

• Then you live in a delusional fantasy world.

• Considering the other responses, it's YOU who is being delusional.

• It takes a lot of bravery and determination to go through chemo and all of the painful treatments without giving up so I think they should at least be admired for their courage

• It takes no bravery when the alternative is dying an even more painful death.

• It's much easier to give up and die than to continue doing painful treatments every day of your life

• Not when what's going to take your life will cause more agony than the treatments.