Tips to study for a test?

World history ugh...

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I study history at Uni, so I love the subject :-). The way I used to study for history tests in high school was to tell myself everything I've studied. In other subjects such as math, this doesn't really work but the cool thing about history (at least on a high school level) is that this method works really great. Just walk around in your room (walking increases blood circulation and blood circulation helps memorizing and understanding things! That's why the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle always used to go for walks with his students in the vineyards instead of just sitting in a classroom). And while walking around your bedroom, talk to yourself about the things you need to know for the test. This can either be in a story-like way or it can be in a teacher-like way, where you're imagining yourself as a teacher, standing in front of the class and telling it to a bunch of students.
    Apart from the walking around part, there are two really great and helpful things about this method. Firstly, saying things out loud makes it much easier for your brain to remember them. If you just read things, your brain can't process them so well. If you yourself are saying them out loud, your brain is paying more attention to these things and thus it can learn them much better. Secondly, by having to tell or "teach" these things to yourself, you easily notice gaps in your knowledge. Maybe you don't remember a particular date you need to know or perhaps you can't explain to yourself why something happened. When this happens, you can just go back to the book and look it up. I usually used to study 2-3 times before every test with this method. The goal is that you can just talk to yourself for half an hour or so and you don't have to look anything up anymore. If that is possible, chances are pretty high you will write a good mark in your test :-).

• Oh, by the way, I just thought of one other great method. One I still use today, even at university. Don't just think of this history stuff as boring, dull things that are written down in a book. The awesome and fascinating thing about history is that it really happened! It's about politics, environment, culture, language, economy, love, society etc. etc. It's about all the things you know from your own life and the world you live in today. And most importantly: it's about human beings, just like you. So what helps me a lot is to get creative and imagine the things I read as a movie. Almost like when you're reading a fun novel. Imagine yourself being part of this movie. Maybe you're a time traveller who is just looking at all these things. Or maybe you're actually one of these real, historical people! Would you have done the same thing he/she did? Why? Why not? Can you understand - not just rationally, but emotionally - why something happened? This movie-technqiue is also great.

What Guys Said 6

• Associate the material to things that you already know I'm some weird, sexual, fucked up way. I know it sounds strange, but it's really effective.

• For me writing things down always helps... especially if there is a lot to remember, which as I recall there is a lot to remember in history exams!

Asking yourself mock questions that you think will be on the exam and writing them down kind of reenacts the test. It works well to do this in a study group before exam day. That way you can other people ask you questions and see any areas you will need to work on!

• easy... don't

• Read things in the voice of Carl Brutananadilewski. Makes studying fun

• I usually just keep filling out the outline until I remember everything that's on it

• cheat

What Girls Said 3

• make sure your brain is awake :P drink lots of water and stay hydrated :D and after that it's just studying. skim through the actual test before you actually take it and see if there's anything that will take you a long time and do those problems first.

• study group is always the best. I hate history so much, I'm searching the best and easiest way to study it, and I found comic version of my history's subject in school, and it halps me a lot. this is the best time to use Mr Google, find the best way-comic, video, cartoon or anything that can help u in your study

• Try to learn it as gossip. That's what I do even though it's kinda stupid 😜