How many hours a day do you work/how many days a week?

curious to know if most people work longer or less than me

Most Helpful Girl

• 15-20 hours if I'm lucky. 3-4 days a week.

I really need a new job! I've been applying everywhere. I need to save more for a car.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm at university, so it's hard to put my schedule into exact numbers. It's much more irregular than having a job. Usually the beginning of a new semester is a pretty relaxed time because there's not much going on. The closer you get towards the end of the semester, the tougher and more stressful it becomes. During summers and winters we have semester break but usually I have to write papers or study for exams during that time. When I have to write a paper, I'm usually very absorbed. For example I had to submit a paper on Monday and so, for the last three weeks or so, I was VERY absorbed with that. I hardly ever went outside the house and when the deadline came near, I sometimes worked through the whole night and didn't even go to bed. That kinda thing can be pretty tough. But now I'm done with the paper and I literally don't have to do anything for the next week :-). Generally speaking, studying at university is harder for me than for others because I'm almost blind. This means that I have to give 150% of passion and determination in many aspects and I have to work longer and harder for the same results as others. But I like my two majors and that's the most important thing I believe.

As for working, we have a 40-hour week in Switzerland. This means that if you're employed at a 100%-job, you work 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. There are 5 weeks of paid vacation for every employee under the age of 50 in Switzerland. Over the age of 50, you get 6 weeks paid vacation.
    In my personal case, I am studying to become a high school teacher. It's kinda different than in the US because being a high school teacher is not considered a lousy job here. It's actually quite the opposite. High schools generally have a high level because they're selective. Not everyone can attend them (the level is comparable to the first 2 years of college in America). If you want to become a high school teacher, you need to have a Master's degree in at least one subject and after that, you have to get an additional Master's degree in pedagogy (another 2 years). Many high school teachers in Switzerland also get a PhD and lecture at a university if they feel like doing a bit of both. So the requirements to become a high school teacher are very high but it's a well respected job and the government pays you a very good salary. Oh, and you get 13 weeks of vacation, who doesn't like that :-).

What Girls Said 16

• Ehh, I don't have a job so for me, working is technically just attending lectures. I only have 9 hours of lectures spread across my week though obviously I have to do quite a bit of reading and stuff outside of lectures but nothing comparable to an actual job.

• For business about 15 to 20.
    As a mom... like 4 million.

• Depends on the week, but it's usually no less than 35 hours, 5 days a week. Sometimes if someone is on vacation or we've made enough sales, I'll get lucky and have 38 hours, 5 days a week.

Still definitely not enough at only $10/hr though, as far as being effective with saving up money to move out, etc.

• Even overtime at $10 isn't shit, that blows.

• @TonyRyan Yeah, I'm tryin' to get a part-time job. But I can't find many part-time jobs at $10/hr, and that's the only way I'll see it worth it... is to work two part time jobs if I'm paid $10/hr at both jobs.

• That's the route to take, I used to work security at Wal-Mart at $10.50 and even with overtime I was constantly broke.

• Maybe I work on saturdays some odd week days really not all that much. I work more in the summer

• Like 5 to 6 a week like 30-40 depends on how much overtime I did. I'm leaving that job soon the pay is terrible for what I deal with.

• lol first I though workout...
    ermm I am in univ so... my schedule is fine it's mainly the work at home that is draining.
    projects take soooo much time man like you have no idea O. O
    plus I joined the swimming team so I am more drained now

• 9 to 10 hours a day, sometimes a couple more, 5 days a week. plus at least 3 and a half hours a day traveling.

• About 40 hours a week (5 days) :)

• My hours vary. Anywhere from 2 days to 5 days. 10hr days. Or entire weekends.

• I have 2 jobs. So I work from 7 am to 1:30 pm and then from 2 pm to 8 pm, every day from Monday through Friday. I also work on saturdays from 8 am to 5 pm (second job)

• 35 + grad school

• 10-15 hrs a day 5-6 days a week.

• maybe 6 hours a week

• 2-8 hours, I'm PRN so I'm scheduled whenever.

I'm also going to school though.

• how many hours average are you in school/studying a day?

• I'm taking 8 hours at the moment... will be taking more.

• University 6 days a week 5 to 6 hours or more :(

• Depends on how busy i am, it changes day to day...
    I usually work around like 6-9 hours a day and usually 6-7 days a week.

• wow at that 7 days

• And some weeks i only work maybe once or twice a week, all depends on how busy i am.

What Guys Said 19

• as a private business owner, 168 h a week.

Whats my private business? Be awesome and finish school.

• At my old manufacturing job, I worked a typical 40 hour week. 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. I since left that job to go to college, and now I'm trying to find a part time job.

• 45 hours or so in one of my jobs, I am salaried so I don't keep track. As for my company (the company I own) I probably put in an additional 10 hours or so, and for the design company I am on the board for an additional 2 or 3 hours. so total about 58 or so.

• hard working man wow

• I'm trying to build a future rather then just work to live. Most of my work for the board, and my own company are unpaid, with the hopes of building equity and a future. I would like to retire within the next 5 years or so, and live on my investments, but in order to invest you must either invest time or money (as I do not have the money, I invest time)

• I have two jobs although one of them is a bit different, my work hours aren't preplanned from the get-go, but rather along the way, as I'm needed there.

• 40+/week

• 40-45 hours a week.

• On average 4 days a week, and that is on every weekend from Thursday through Sunday.

• It depends on what's going on. I have my own consulting company, so I could work 70-80 hours one week and zero the next. As long as I average 10-12 billable hours a week, the bills are paid.

• 40-48 hr weeks, 5-6 days a week, plus all day after until bedtime with my daughter. So I'm basically ALWAYS on-call.

• I normally work 40 hours a week. I'm fortunate to have my own office so I can goof off a lot on GAG :)

• At the moment 60 hours a week.

• Anywhere between 40-60 hours. I have school too so I work a 12 hour shift on weekends.

• I work for 16 hours over 2 days a week :)

Im a full time student also so thats hwy i work short hours : )

• As little as possible/every day. (Housework. No job yet... 😣)

• 60-70he weeks, 26-27 days out at a time

• Not much right now, maybe 70-75 during the summer.

• About 40 hours, occasionally 50-60, but not often. Long commute unfortunately.

• that sucks dude

• Used to walk to work, now i have a bunch of kids, houses are really expensive here so i'm in distant suburbs. But i don't drive, i walk and take the train. Long commute, but i can GaG the whole way ;)

At least the pay is decent :D

• Monday to Friday, 8 hours a day.

• 14 hours a week. through the internet. 60k a year.