Why do so many struggle with accepting that some people are 'happily single'?

Most Helpful Girl

• because they weren't/arent happy being single themselves and therefore cannot understand the concept.

What Girls Said 5

• Because all they know how to be when they are single is desperate and whiny. I had fun when I was single and I think having fun and trying to enjoy being single attracts people to you as well. If you act desperate and like being single is the worst thing ever, and that your gender of preference is secretly plotting against then you drive people away! You SHOULD enjoy being single in my opinion. There's no point in moping and feeling sorry for yourself, or forcing yourself into dating someone you are not really into just so you can say you are dating!

• Many people aren't comfortable with what's considered the norm or what they can't handle themselves.

• the 'norm' for me is being true to self

• That's how I see it to. However a lot of people don't see it that way. You know how many girls my age run around like chickens with their heads cut off getting themselves into more dumbness bc they think they need to be in a relationship or married oh so bad right now? My favorite "I'll have his baby bc we're so in love and he'll love me more." Then I'm the weird one bc I don't mind being to myself getting to know myself.

• all power to you

• We've been shown by society that being in the relationship and having children is the norm. When people are out of the norm, people don't really understand it.

• I have three children and was married for 22 years.

Where do I fit into the supposed 'status quo'

• Maybe he still wears her ring out of love/respect

• yeah... that's true. Mystery solved then

• Far too many people don't realize that we can only find completeness within ourselves. Those who do live happily with a mate due to desire not need and the rest of us are cool with being alone.

• I can't figure it either. My friends are always trying to fix me up with someone.

What Guys Said 1

• They do? I need to get out more. It's kind of weird how they think others must have the same inhibitions as them, but I think I understand why they make those assumptions. It's much easier to think others have the same problems you do than it is to realize maybe some people really are different because it is tempting to project onto other people rather than addressing your own problems, but it's not a wise path to take once you know the implications it has on you and others around you. If someone is projecting their insecurities I recommend that you don't take it personally and remove yourself from the situation if it starts getting toxic. Don't let others bring you down, keep being yourself and you should do fine.