Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Prostitution has unintended side effects, mainly human trafficking and sex slavery. Everyone who goes to a prostitute is also supporting those industries.

In theory the idea that legalizing it will give better protection to the prostitutes is nice in theory but has nothing to do with reality.
    It's based on two assumptions.
    1) all prostitutes do it on their own will
    2) all prostitutes are legal in that country

All countries that I'm aware of that have legalized it, have made two observations
    1) the demand for prostitution increases
    2) the percentage of forced prostitutes remained constant or increased as well

So in case it's not obvious that means the total number forced prostitutes increased, dramatically. The german police estimates that about 80% of prostitutes there are forced to do it, or maybe it was 70%, but something like that. Let's say they're off by 20%, that's still 50% at best. So it's not marginal number, it's quite significant. And it leads to the conclusion that the men who go to see those girls either don't know or don't care which means that apparently men can't be trusted with that decision. So I don't think it should be an option at all

And that's just human trafficking what's also happening in germany is that most girls there aren't german, not even european and if they were to go to the police about something they'd risk deportation. I don't have a number on that but I don't know 10% of prostitutes being there illegal (on their own will) is a conservative estimate I think. So what's left? Who is that law supposed to protect?

And if someone is gonna comment on this please don't just state your personal opinion on this that legalizing does work because you want it to, back it up

Most Helpful Guy

• i am for people being able to do with their bodies what they want as long as they do it safely.

however the inevitable consequence of prostitution is sex trafficking. women (but more often than not underage girls) being forced, coerced, etc into the sex trade. for example the average prostitute in the US is 15. recently in colorado a huge prostitution ring was busted up. the average age of sex worker was 13.

unfortunately a consequence of prostitution is those who exploit young people... aka traffic minors

• Sex trafficking exists *because* prostitution is illegal. Prohibition of human vice forces it into the hands of organized crime instead of being above the board and legally related.

• We need to split hairs because child prostitution is still illegal in those countries. It's illegal in all countries. In the ten countries with the worst trafficking, which you say is mostly children, adult prostitution is legal in 4.

You can't say that legal prostitution of adults causes trafficking of children when 6 of the 10 worst countries doesn't allow adult prostitution. It shows that the legality of adult prostitution has no connection with illegal trafficking of minors.

• @Dandeus i didn' say that in those 4 countries the major issue was sex trafficking of minors. perhaps that will help this conversation. read back at what i wrote. i only said that 4 of the worst offenders of sex trafficking are places where prostitution is legal

What Girls Said 6

• I think so. If it's legalised, we could hopefully improve working conditions to make people safer.

• HELL TO THE FCXKING NO.
    lol @ the guys votes lmao.

• Nope I pick no. thats just fucked up.

• I don't think it should be legal...

• No, it should not be.

• No it should not.

What Guys Said 21

• In some counties like parts of Nevada it is. I don't think it should be unless it is properly regulated and not on street corners and back alleys. However then the prices will be higher than than what they are now so cash-strapped horny men will have to settle for their hand. . . . Which is free.

• Its happening anyway wether its legal or not, so why not benefit from it?

If you make it legal you can at least introduce laws to prevent STD diseases from spreading. And most importantly, you can tax it.

"But Facepalm. what about family values" Fuck your family values. Its happening anyway wether you like it or not. Making it legal will only benefit the society.

• it's working out well for the Bunny Ranch. if legalizing it mimicked that establishment then why not.

• yes. it is where I live and I think it's the right decision.

prostitution is one of the oldest jobs in the world and you can't get rid of it by prohibiting it. all you do is making life more difficult and dangerous for the sex workers. make it legal, set strict laws of what's allowed and what not, protect the sex workers, give them insurance like people who do other jobs too, fight human trafficking, exploitation and all that other shit... that's the right way to do it. you won't get anything by making it illegal

• Yes, it should be legal and regulated.

• Provided it was heavily supervised and regulated, yes.

Firefly style right? Yes. Just so.

• If people are gonna do what they are gonna do anyways.. Why not make some money out of it.

The problem is, its degrading for the society. Being more open about sex, that is. Wonder why divorce rates are lower in Asian countries compared to western countries? Sex is not celebrated there, here we make songs like "I just had sex..".

The YOLO attitude might sound fun, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

• I think the state should control it and take it out of the hands of the criminals.

• It doesn't matter whether it should be legal or not. Prostitution is wrong, and anyone who disagrees is only following a bad path of wrong.

• Having been to the legal brothels in Nevada, I honestly do not get why it's an issue. Women should have the choice of what to do with their bodies, and legalization, and regulation would cut down on illegal trafficking.

• I never understood the reasoning behind making it illegal to sell something that's perfectly legal to give away.

• If porn is legal so should be prostitution, but with making it legal it would just be controlled professionally and you'd have to probably pay more.

• No it shouldn't.

• No, it will destroy the society cuz then men will not marry at all they will kind of pay and get that is less costly than dates if we make it legal then other things will follow its example like pay a girl for 9 months and get a child out of her.

• It is in my country xD I think it's fine.

• I vote yes. It would be good, they would contribute to society and live a less risky life.

• Oh, hell yeah!!

• Only if it is regulated.

• Ma body is rdy 👙

• Why would you need a prostitute we can get all the babez on this planet? Even the Muslim ones?

• It is wrong that prostitutes are allowed to take advantage of vulnerable lonely men who want sex and affection. However if because it is crimalised it is the men that normally get prosecuted for taking advantage of so called vulnerable women who get off scott free, so yes to legalised prostitution.

• Either way but they should be consistent about it and not treat the sellers as defacto victims if it is.

We already have laws that covers kidnapping, abductions and human trafficking. People that willingly use prostitution to make a living should be treated as criminals as the laws prescribes.

No matter how fucked up his childhood was, a drug dealer that gets cought is still going to jail.