Do you think weird or normal if woman keeps her name after being married?

• weird
  • normal
  • I prefer if name were hypenated
  • other (please explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• I told my wife she didn't have to change her name for me - in fact, I sort of would have preferred she kept her name except that she was going through last names like sale items on Black Friday. She wanted to take my last name because it made her feel more connected to me.

Generally though I prefer the woman to keep her maiden name because it is easier and helps in the long run when people need to find you after many years of time.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's not normal, but more like acceptable. I think it depends on the guy tho. Anyways, I put other because my mother is a perfect example. She wasn't married when she had me and when she married my step-dad she didn't take his name. She didn't change her name until their like 13th or 14th anniversary (a couple years ago) just because she didn't want to. It REALLY annoyed him (pissed him off tbh) so she finally did it. She just didn't care either way, so she stayed with her maiden name. I think if I didn't change my name it'd be to kinda get a feel for the relationship. I mean, it would hurt the guy even MORE if you changed your name back to your maiden name so I think I'd just wait n play it by ear. Probably do it as an anniversary present or something lol

What Guys Said 6

• It's uncommon cause most women change it, but it's not weird at all, I wouldn't care if my future wife keeps her name, or if we hyphenate.
    In Spain women don't change their name, since the kids end up getting both last names, the first last name of the father and the mother. So in the end the family is know by the first names of both, though the man's name is usually the one that goes first. Maybe that's why I wouldn't care if my future wife keeps her last name, and why I maybe prefer to hyphenate.

Anyways, I don't trust Buzzfeed at all, I think that video is fake. And if it isn't, they shouldn't point out the fact that she kept her last name, cause that conditions people to think about it, I'm sure most participants wouldn't have put that much attention to her keeping her last name if it wasn't pointed out, that's why I don't trust Buzzfeed and think they're crap.

• I think I'd prefer if she wanted to take my name, but it's not a deal-breaker or something.

I mean, it just seems easier for legal puposes. Plus, I don't want my kids to have hyphenated names and all that jazz.

• if she's going to keep her last name, why even get married? I mean, just exchange loyalty vows. If she's not even going to change her last name, why go through all the effort and expense and legality of a wedding?

• I really don't care either way.

• I don't see anything wrong or weird with it

• i do not care at all, as long as i like the name, i would change it.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm indifferent to it.

• Neither... I think they should do whatever they want but unless there are no males in her generation to pass on the last name I think it is dumb to keep it.

• In my country (Italy) is completely normal to keep your surname after you get married. Actually, I don't know anyone who changed it.

• pretty normal. i'll probably keep my own name too.

• Wait, if it was hyphenated wouldn't your decendants have extremely long last names?(assuming that other people were doing the same)

• I think it's weird and a things for feminazi, when I get married I would take my husband name and it's a lot better for the child to have the same name like both parent