How long should you wait to get a new pet after one dies?

My girlfriend and I's dog died unexpectly of a sudden attack of diabetes and its been a week and needless to say hurts a little bit. He was 6 years old and we got him at 3 years old and it was a unexpected due to being an immediate attack and there was nothing we could do to predict it. She is hurt more than I am or is at least showing more emotion and we agree we want a new dog but don't want get one too so we compare it to our old one.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're always going to compare, no matter how soon or far out you get the new dog. Your new dog will do the same trick your old dog did and you'll remember how the old one did it in comparison to how the new one does it. Or how much easier it was to train the old one vs the new one, etc.

• I guess it just feels like a bad dream at the moment and it was unexpected so I can't really consider itnyetm it should gon away soon.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• My childhood dog had to be put down in September. I didn't feel emotionally ready for another dog, but I think now I'm close to it. Although, I can't actually get a dog right now. I'm a uni student with roommates so between university and having roommates it's not a good idea. I'm also an international student in another country so that complicates things, and I'm probably going to study abroad in the fall or winter so I'd have to find a place for the dog, and my parents are going through a divorce and moving so I couldn't rely on them. And it's not fair to the dog to disappear on it. I also don't think I could afford one realistically. So I have to wait until I'm settled somewhere more permanent, live with people who are fine with it, and can afford the pup.

• My girl and I can afford one and are stable in our current house and its like I miss him poking his head between arm and hip when I eat dinner to get a bite and the little things. Even the things that annoyed me at the time are things I miss and I feel like I took him for granted.

• I loved when my dog did that too. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'd wait a bit. Don't get a dog to just replace the hole your other pup left, get one because you love dogs and want to share your life with one, and want one in your life. You know, make it a happy event and allow yourself the time so that you can enjoy getting a new one, bonding with it, and training it.

• Whenever you're ready.
    My cat died when I was 17. I don't plan on ever getting one again.
    Sadly, my sister got a new one.

• As long as you guys feel comfortable , if you still feel down about it , then wait.

• If it were me I would wait a couple months like 5 or 6, or just until you are ready to adopt another one. I wish you guys luck R. I. P <3

• Getting a new dog might be a good way to feel better. Puppies psychologically make people happier.

• I want one now I can't lie I know I'm not mentally ready and no way she is ready. It just feels almost like its a bad dream which is weird cause when my grandma died I didn't take it this hard cause it was expected and I said my good byes. This was just so shocking.

What Guys Said 0