Do you think we would be a happier society if we were less touch-phobic (and wore less clothes)?

Let me just start by saying I LOVE BEING TOUCHED

Most of my life I suffered from depression and anxiety. I hated it SOOOOOO much!!! When I'd have anxiety attacks and I would get so depressed for days. They always tried to treat it by using anxiety medications. But then I started to hug people when I got upset and from there on I just realized how effective touch is at just making you feel better. Over the years I evolved into a super affectionate person and let go of pretty much all my inhibitions and now everyone says that I'm the sweetest, bubbliest most upbeat person they knwo!!! I give everyone hugs, I need no less than 10 hugs a day and they can't be a wussy side or gap hug, it has to be a long tight one. Whenever I chill with my firends and we watch TV I snuggle up next to them if they're a girl and if they're a guy I sit on their lap and it makes me soo happy. And I'm gonna sound really unorthodox here but my favorite kind of touch is where I can feel their skin on my body. I don't know how to explain it but when someody touches my body I don't get aroused per se but it is such a euphoric feeling <3 I always walk around with my shirt off (while wearing a bra) and ask people for a hug and actually feeling the skin against mine multiplies that sense of security and reassurance that touch give me 10 fold =) I also slept with some of my closest female friends (and when I slept, I don't mean had sex, I mean SLEPT) in just our panties and feeling their soft velvetty skin against mine (without turning me on) made me even more relaxed than cuddling with pajamas did otherwise, it felt so serene. Even a 30 minute cuddle nape makes my day so much betterr and that's even more so if it's skin to skin cuddling. I even ask my friends to pet my hair and for booty rubs because they're just so relaxing :) Screw you meds, I don't need you anymore haha All this affection doesn't give me any romantic/sexual feelings but it just FEELS SOOOOOOO GOOD.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm very, very touchy for a guy (and especially for my culture) and so, I can largely understand what you're saying and I agree with you. I wouldn't want to touch or be touched by strangers but if I know a person a bit and I like them, I also liking hugging them and being hugged etc.. Also, being absolutely anti-homophobic and anti-macho, I'm one of the very, very few straight guys who like to have real, tight, long hugs with other guys. I've always thought how dumb it is of guys to think it's "gay" to simply share some warmth and intimacy in a friendship-like way. Luckily, I have one very close guy friend and he has a similar opinion about this as I do. So when we see each other or when we say goodbye, we give each other very long, intimate hugs, without this stupid, guyish patting on the back. I think so many guys pat each other on the back when hugging because they feel awkward and uncomfortable. The ironic thing about this is that especially as a guy, you have to LEARN to not find it awkward. We are so much socialized into "men can't be intimate with each other" that guys have LEARN to "bear" a deep, intimate hug and pull through. And after doing it a couple of times, you realize how beautiful it can be and suddenly you don't feel awkward anymore.

I also like how you pointed out that skin-to-skin touches can be especially nice. I think these kind of things have to be said especially in America. Most Americans are extremely prudish when it comes to nudity. Even more so, when it comes to nudity in public. There's this twisted puritan ideology going on that most Americans IMMEDIATELY connect nudity with sex. For example if two people are doing a naked hug, Americans tend to automatically jump to the conclusion that it MUST be sexual. That's of course silly because there are tons of other good reasons why being naked can be nice. People go skinny dipping for example, usually not for sexual reasons but it's an amazing feeling. I'm glad this is still a little different here in continental Europe where people are more relaxed with nudity. Personally, I really like to do naked hugs with my girlfriend after sex (usually after we wash off, we would just do some naked hugging in the bathroom :-)). At that point, it's not sexual anymore. It's more like a very, very intimate and like you called it "serene" way of feeling the other person's body and expressing your love. I also sleep naked cuz it just feels so much nicer (once you get used to, you never go back!)

Most Helpful Girl

• Na, it'd make me sick. I hate people touching me. I can just about deal with my boyfriend haha, but I don't like people touching me at all. When I'm on a packed bus and somebodys arm touches mine or something it makes me cringe. I just hate it.
    For some, I'm sure it'd be nice, but that's like my nightmare.

What Guys Said 6

• while I am NOT suggesting being promiscuous, I have to wonder WHY you would want so much physical contact, so much intimate physical contact, without any sexual arousal?
    I'm not saying you shouldn't find comfort, or happiness, or contentment, or euphoria in the contact. You do, so good for you. I'm glad it makes you happy.
    But if you are going to curl up with another woman, wearing nothing but panties, and feel euphoric feeling her soft skin against yours while you two are pressed together, WHY NOT allow it to be sexually arousing also?
    I'm also concerned about mixed messages you might send to people. If a girl wearing no shirt wanted to sit in my lap, cuddle, and hug me, I think it is perfectly reasonable, as a guy, to think that there is more to what is happening! Do you realize that, even if it isn't sexually arousing to YOU, it may be to the guys, and girls, you do this with?

I have no problem with physical contact. But I do think it belongs in certain context, because if you do something that usually falls into one context, and the person you are with doesn't know you mean it differently, there is a lot of room for confusion.

• Um disease, sickness, freezing to death in the winter seasons, increase rates in rape, sexual harassment and the like.

• huh, I never realized it but I guess I am a bit "touch-phobic" both with people touching me and me touching others - the most I'll do is poke someone with one finger if I'm trying to get their attention.

• Please don't touch me :)

• The reason people avoid touching is
    1. Common colds, flu's etc

2. Safety that I don't know you factor.

• I don't think so. Touching makes me uncomfortable

What Girls Said 2

• nonono I value my personal space way too much.
    hate anyone touching me... unless I want to for sexual reasons.

• No, because I like the look of modest fashion more than I do half dressed people.