Do you think being obsessed with video games is worse than being obsessed with any other hobby?

Sometimes i get that impression from people. Like somehow being obsessed with video games is worse than being obsessed with any other hobby like movies or books.

why do video games constantly get singled out?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly I think some other hobbies are worse to be obsessed over. Though I'm biased and love video games. Since it kind of gives you a sense of freedom kind of.

I've noticed that too. Though normally if someone just assumes that with anyone who really loves video games.

Which most people are worse about if a man is obsessed with video games. They just straight to thinking he's a lazy bum, lives with his parents, is fat, ugly, etc. Which those people are fucken stupid.

Just because someone is obsessed with video games. Doesn't mean they don't work or do other things. They just end up filling majority of their free time with video games. Unless they are a sever case of obsession. Which they end up do nothing but just video games. Then that's a problem. Though people could do that with any hobby.

I truly believe majority of people just don't understand what playing video games are like. Though I just see women being the ones that see video games as bad. Mainly due to thinking it steals the dudes attention from the chick. Which most won't even bother giving it a try.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hell no. A hobby is a hobby. As long as you're a healthy and balanced individual it doesn't matter what your hobby is as long as you're not hurting anyone.

What Girls Said 13

• Well, being obsessed with anything is a bad thing :P But as others have said, I guess people view video games harsher because it's an extremely passive activity, it's like deciding you want to live this adventurous life and get a taste of adrenaline and get to do things you don't do in normal life, but you're not actually going after that. You're letting it be a simulated activity where you're in no danger and you're not putting yourself out there and taking risks like you might push your character into doing. Games are also associated with children so I think people view it as immature that you need to bring that into your adulthood where you're supposed to be grown up, kinda like how an adult would be considered weird if they read kid's picture books all the time, y'know? I mean, obviously I game a lot so it's not like I agree that it's less worthy a hobby than anything else buuut I can see where people are coming from.

• I think video games especially get singled out as a not so good hobby because it's a completely passive activity.

Reading or photography require an individual to stay constantly focused, similar to video games. However, unlike in video games, books/photography require active cognitive processes, whereas the former can often result the players passing into an almost zombie-state or complete lack of awareness of their surroundings aside from what's going on on the screen.

You can often see, when comparing social skills of avid gamers with non-gamers and how the former will seem a lot less attentive most of the time. Like whatever you're saying is going in one ear and right out the other as they have greater difficulty maintaining long-term active attention.

• Watching movies or tv all day are quite passive hobbies too

• yes, true. Any kind of such activities where you're sitting behind a screen of any sort for larger chunks of time will have that kind of effect. I can even see it when I got to tutor kids who are on spring break. Can tell right away if they've just spent the whole day playing Minecraft on their tablet or watching Youtube videos.

• A person can be obsessed with something, but there is a fine line between loving something, being obsessed with it, and addiction to it. I think a lot of times, video gamers develop that addiction where they just want to escape from the real world and into their video games. Because one is generally glued to a couch, not moving, sometimes not eating, sleeping, etc. they become passive, imobile, unable to deal with people sometimes sitting 5 feet away from them. That fine line is crossed when you can't deal with real life anymore, when you are only about this one thing and nothing else matters. In that sense, all obsessions that turn to addictions fare the same way.

• yes but how is being obsessed with video games any worse than being obsessed with any other hobby?

• read my last sentence...

• I think the sedentary lifestyle is what singles out video games. Maybe unless you are obsessed with Just Dance, where you are getting exercise. It's all about balance, so if a person loves video games, but still gets their exercise in, I don't see a problem. The person gets to do something they enjoy while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Reading and watching movies is also sedentary, though. Maybe the people thinking games are worse think it's a waste of time, whereas books you are learning and having cerebral stimuli. You can have that in games, too, but they probably don't realize that.

• Videogames are so much fun. And at my age, all my boyfriends have loved videogames and spent quite a bit of time gaming. It's a huge part of their lives/one of their favorite hobbies. My current boyfriend loves gaming. His gaming doesn't make me like him any less, in fact, it's fun to game with him. Some of our best memories are gaming side by side and killing zombies, haha, or him getting frustrated because I'm literally the worst walker in history.

• It evokes this image of overweight people with no jobs, who never shower, and ignore their family and significant others. But what people don't realise is that sometimes video games ARE someone's job, Like streaming on twitch. I'm biased because I play video games but I do often hear people complain that their significant other is ignoring them for gaming which is hurtful.

• i think its cuz of the stereotypes of it being a thing for basementdweller nerds (which, that doesn't have to be a bad thing... maybe they need it) and also cuz people will see very young boys playing video games too often and assume these kids dont play outside anymore and are gonna become unhealthy and obese

i always thought gamer dudes were the male version of female fangirls for boybands and hearthrob solo acts. people roll their eyes at them but for the actual people, its a good passtime and can fill a void.

film is something everyone of every age engages in, so people understand it. books are seen as intellectually and creatively stimulating so they will always be respected.

• Well people my age and brlow are growing up so i beleive eventually even video games will be appealing for people of all ages too.

• Well i mean actual gamers, people my age who grew up with the nes and atari and old arcades we are getting older and many of us are still playing games just as much these days still.

And people generations below us just accept and embrace video games already. After most of the baby boomers die out that will leave most of us who already are familiar with video games

• hmm i never realy realised it was a lifelong thing. i figured mostt guys grow out of it after starting a family

• I think it's perfectly fine to be obsessed with video games.

Everyone has different hobbies, likes and dislikes with some more adventurous than others but it's how you like to spend your time.

It just depends whether you're happy or not.

- Exceptions when it comes to hard drugs, and crime etc. But I hope that would be fairly obvious anyway, haha.

• Obsession with anything is not healthy. We all need balance in our lives.

• because most of you are in that video game world more than you are in the real world.
    if your girlfriend for ANY reason, started flat out ignoring you for her hobby, you wouldn't just suck it up and keep moving forward with what she used to be like with you.
    why people think they can maintain relationships or any kind of relationship by just making yourself unavailable.
    like you already done enough the other person should accept that?

• Right well my issue is why is that any worse than someone super obsessed with books or movies? possibly ignoring their partner for those

• because those other 2 things, even reading, are more social and easier to pry someone from.
      example,
      if a man was watching a movie and a girl randomly started taking down his pants and hinting at something more fun,
      chances are she won't get yelled at to hang on a god damn minute or cursed for making them die in the game, things like that.
      I think most girls would be more ok with it if you guys tried a little variety (ironic right?) and played something fun rather than the same boring and obnoxious shooting games,
      and if not that then at least have 2 controllers.
      no matter what though, if you're trying to have a relationship youd better be ok with sitting through something that makes her happy, whether or not you like to do it or have fun since most of you expect the girls to.
      FYI your dick ain't that good

• excuses

• Its ok to be obsessed with video games some people are obsessed with drugs

• Its to be obsessed with drugs some people are obsessed with murdering.

• @Parzival and dont take drugs if you don't know what it is or if you think you will have a bad reaction. Some kid from my old high school died from overdosing on acid and it scared the hell out of the high school students. This is their new policy.

• The point was that you were saying it's ok to be "obsessed" with video games because there are worse things out there. I was pointing out that this reasoning extends to taking drugs even. It's ok to take drugs because some people are obsessed with murdering. It's ok to be obsessed with murdering because some people are obsessed with genocide. See the slippery slope here?

• I dislike obsessions that equals to wasting valuable time.

• I don't know. But it's not the worst hobby if you think about it. Really if you play the right game for like and hour it can make you smarter ( if I remember correctly sorry if in wrong) in a way or make your reglexes fast. I'm not sure.

What Guys Said 13

• The majority of video games are wastes of time.

Literally, one of the worst things you can do for yourself apart from bodily harm and hard drugs is playing an obscure, irrelevant video game for 12 hours a day.

In the end, you're fucked out of hours and hours of life that could have been spent bettering yourself through knowledge and experience.

Now, if you're smart, you find video games that are culturally entrenched like League of Legends and build a brand out of your gameplay. Making money by gaming is possible if you're smart enough to figure out how to market yourself.

Taking it another notch, my lady crush is a genius hacker that actually made money hacking MMO RPGs. She couldn't comprehend spending money on games, because she always profited from them.

There are many ways to slice this, but in essence what I'm saying is that playing video games for sport, without an ulterior motive is a huge waste of precious life.

• But how is it any worse thansomeone wasting their time reading nothing but books all day? Or watching movies or tv all day? Why single out video games like they are the worst thing to be addicted to?

• Being obsessed eith gaming versus being onsessed with other hobbies. What makes gaming any worse than them?

• The answer is, video games are less productive. My original answer covers how there may be exceptions, but not rules to this truth.

Video games are not the WORST hobby, and they certainly are not the best.

This is based on opportunity cost and the incremental benefits gained by taking one action over another. When you decide to take up video games as a hobby and hone your skills in some obscure game instead of building websites, cooking, or making artwork, the incremental benefits earned for your pale in comparison to what you'd get for honing skills at those crafts.

• I'm really into eSports and I don't really care what other people think. It's super entertaining. Even American Football that I used to be into more is not as entertaining to me as eSports. But I think the tides are slowly changing most young people have a more positive opinion or are at least neutral towards video games. Most of the haters and critics are old. Beeing a professional gamer is already a real profession now but in 20 -40 years it will be huge. Imagine all the young kids growing up with technology and beeing into gaming and all the old people who know nothing will be dead so which way do you think the trend will go? Personally I think soon they won't be debating about if eSports is even a real thing but they'll be wondering why they didn't get on board sooner because there's only one way this is going: UP!
    I don't wanna hype too much because it's still going to take a long time. But I think it's inevitable that eSports is going to take over the world.

• Certain hobbies are considered pathetic/sad/wastes of time by others. It's not just video games, model railroading is another one:

http://i.imgur.com/VuVw8u5.jpg

Thing is, even a more seemingly productive or 'masculine' hobby (in terms of men, anyway) can get torn down as him wasting hours:

www.corbisimages.com/.../Corbis-42-24013662.jpg

It seems like no matter what hobby you have, someone will perceive the time you spend on it as too much, usually your wife/girlfriend. If you were to share in their hobby of binge-watching TV series, though, that is absolutely fine and dandy and you should really consider doing it.

• Because it's a "new" hobby, and many people still think video games are bad for people, which is not true at all.
    It's also considered, nerdy, don't know why, when many video games have a much better and deeper story than 99% of movies and books.

• I'm addicted to MMOs, and I feel like I'm wasting my life. I'm trying to start drawing again, so that I can produce something of value with my time.

• Video games are generally more engaging than television, at-least... You don't just sit there and switch off your brain, ya'know?

• I don't thnk so, Video Games are dope, why not be obsessed with them, I mean I plan on naming my Son Sans, I think you know who that is

• Think about all the money people blow going out every weekend for entertainment. Your obsession is practical.

• Video games are fun, so no.

• I'm obsessed with needles.

• Cause books are more "intellectual" and video games are viewed as immature

• and movies? TV? comic books? other hobbies?

• Comics are also viewed as an immature hobby but TV and movies are fine. It makes no sense to me honestly. You can't be interested one and not disrespect the other cause they're all essentially the same thing at the end of the day

• You gain very little out of video games. With movies/books you're at least becoming more cultured.

• See, this is exactly what I was referring to in my opinion.

• Well i understand hobbies like painting or playing instruments, but watching movies all day doesn't really make the world better off than someone playing video games all day.

• Well that depends. Quentin Tarantino did that. I know other up and coming directors who do this as well. They view it as central to their work.

But even if you have no future in filmmaking, the key difference is that you become more cultured. You're more acquainted with modern works of art, and dominate any topic of conversation related to film and television.

Like watching television does make one significantly more cultured. Television often comes up as the topic of conversation in society. It's modern-day literature. Being familiar with the top television shows is often a must for someone who is well rounded and versed in our culture. So I would say watching TV Shows + Movies is viewed more positively than playing video games. When I get together with my friends in LA, it's well expected that you're well versed in all of the top music/television/current events. At least with the intellectual crowd that's the case.

• I think wathing porn is worse