Are bareback pads for riding on horseback any good?

I am really light, under 100 lbs. I would just really rather ride bareback but I've heard it causes pain. Would a bareback pad help that?

Most Helpful Girl

• There are tree less saddles that are good and you get the close contact like bareback riding without the discomfort to the horse. But you're so light I doubt bareback riding wouldn't be a problem. As long as you have good balance and don't have heavy hands I say go for it

• nice username. thanks, i will check the tree less ones out. do you mean that bareback riding won't be a problem?

• I shouldn't think so, I've ridden several times bareback as I find it improves balance and deepens the seat. If you google the treeless saddles you'll see them, I don't know if they're only available in Britain or not.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• Chick's Saddlery had a bareback saddle that I bought but I can't remember the name. It was sturdier than a bareback pad and the cinch tightened like a regular girth so it was secure to use the stirrups, plus it had some structure like a pommel. It was the perfect marriage of saddle and bareback pad, sturdy and secure but very lightweight. Dang if I recall the brand name.

Biggest problem with the pad is it isn't secure enough to really tackle things like trails; they tend to slip and slide as the horse gets sweaty. Technically you coukd find one to use with a breastpiece, but heck, too complicated for a simple quick ride. Let me see if I can find the one I mentioned.

• Have you ever tried bareback without a pad? For short distances you might not need one. Can you borrow a bareback pad from someone before you commit to buying one?

• It could , but make sure you get the correct one. Some barebackpads actually cause people more pain then comfort.