Do you think religion has had a positive or negative impact on humankind?

• Positive
  • Negative
  • Some religions good and others bad
  • In some cases it had a positive impact and in others bad but a neutral net impact
  • It had no impact
  • Unsure

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean religion has started a lot of wars and genocides so it's probably ended more lives than it's helped in the grand scheme of things, the Spanish inquisition, the crusades, the 30 years war, the 80 years war, basically every "witch trial" ever where people would just tell the Catholic church that someone was a witch to get rid of people they didn't like. One pope even demanded that every cat be killed on the spot because he personally didn't like cats... so then they had a rat problem and that lead to plagues... idiot, you need cats.

• Dont forget ISIS, Al-Queda and the KKK

• @jchil88 True but the scary thing about say the crusades and the witch trials are that the people participating were seen as normal people and not extremists.

• Very true!

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• It depends on what you mean by Religion. Many associate Religion with mainly Christianity or anything that has to do with God/Jesus, and this is not true. God's word and order of life for humans has always been perfect until man screwed it up. And thus causes great confusion and debate for everyone. Religion actually destroys one's true identity. Religion is actually used by the Egyptians, the Romans, the Greeks, and any other polytheistic believe systems out there. Anything that is highly corruptive in nature is. Many movements during those times had negative impact on those trying to do life right, and many are judged because of it.

Religion is a man made design to deter people from the truth. It's the morals that makes things positive. A lot of things people consider today as myth, imagination or fairytales are in fact real and documented. The thing is this; we wouldn't be able to distinguish that because most of them were destroyed so many centuries ago. When people ask me what's my religion, I tell them 'I don't have one, nor believe in religion.' Many will argue that believing in God/Jesus is religion because it's there in the Bible, and that is completely false. Religion is actually a Greek terminology that was added in there on purpose. Religion is very negative in every way. It really all depends on what people decide to do with their choices. It becomes worse when people lack understanding of life, and how people's lives are no different then what happened in the past. The past is repeating itself, and it get's worse with every generation of people.

• Positive. I love it when people say religions have started wars. Because they are mislead, Yeshua never preached hate it was when the Europeans took the religion to further the Roman empire is when it got nasty. They identified as " Christians " but lived like Romans/pegans. so religions don't start wars , those seeking power do. And all wars in modern society or even ancient for the last at least 8 thousand years started because of the Europeans. that's like saying are all white people have had a negative impact on humanity, a lot of people will say yes some will say no.

• it depends, throughout history religion has done good, but a lot of religions have done bad on a large scale level. i think religion overall is not meant to function on a mass level, it becomes to influential, powerful and full of corruption. on a small scale in people's daily lives i think it usually has a positive or neutral impact. unless one person tries to oppose their religion onto someone else.

• All of them have more negative impact than positive.

• Religion is man's tool to control the masses, is that good or bad? I guess it depends on what end you are on ;)

What Guys Said 13

• I don't understand how ANYONE could POSSIBLY claim it has had a positive impact.
    Religion has CLEARLY had an extremely negative impact on human kind.
    I know there are some people who bring up all these stupid arguments about charity etc. but what these people don't understand is that it does not take religion to do such good deeds. You can be an atheist and still do good things to people. Many atheists have done so in fact. There are just as many secular charities as are religious charities. So to claim that religion makes people good is really quite ridiculous. It is our natural empathy, intelligence and social behavior that makes us good in some cases - not religion. If a christian donates money to a charity, he could and would have done so just as much had he been an atheist. On the other hand, there are countless instances where people have killed other people for THE SOLE REASON that they were religious. To say it in the words of American physicist and Nobel prize winner Steven Weinberg:
    “With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion.”

• it may have a positive effect on some individuals

but when i think of the amount of blood shed, death, enslavement, etc that has occurred in the name of a God i just can't so religion has been positive.

to name just a few things that occurred in the name of religion
    Jews enslaved
    exploitation and killings of Native Americans
    nearly a half a century of wars between western Europe and the various muslim empires in the dark/middle ages
    and of course the now 60-70 years of tensions, violence, wars, etc due to the Israel/Palestine
    hate crimes and persecution of homosexuals throughout the ages

• On the most part it had a positive impact.
    The biggest problem is people twisting the words to suit their political means.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzcqAgH1JpY

That and the belief of a magical man in the sky and an afterlife seem ridiculous.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZYD1el_Jfg

• Twisting the words? Have you ever read the bible or the Quran or the Tora? I don't see how somebody could possibly "twist" some of the things in there into something even more disgusting than what they already are.
      Reality is actually quite to the contrary to what you're claiming. Religious people love to cherry-pick and quote/follow all the nice, happy lines in their holy books while disregarding the just as prominent lines about slavery, child murder and mass raping.

• @BlueCoyote Never thought Switzerland was a religious country.
      I'm against gay people adopting children and I'm an atheist. I'm pro-family.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhVh5GqU-8
      They can sign a legal contract to be "married" but I will never recognize it to be on par with traditional marriage.

I've met stupid religious people and smart religious people.
      They've all learned to accept the fact that I don't believe in God and respect me as I respect them and accept the fact that they do believe in God.

Canada isn't really big on pushing religious values on people, quite the opposite actually.
      You can believe whatever you want as long as you're not an asshole about it.

So I guess come to Canada and let religious people believe what they want to believe.
      They have no right to push their beliefs on you and you have no right to push your beliefs on them.

• Both. It can inspire people to do horrible things and very heroic things. I like the fact that it bridged cultures but I dislike the fact that it pretty much destroyed religious history previous to it. Nowadays I question whether or not it's necessary but it has had a powerful impact throughout history.

• Actually, religious groups are usually hated because they tend to put unwanted weight onto other people's shoulder. As a christian, I think it's wrong to force religion onto people.

It's better for people to join in freely rather than condemn people of their wrong doings. Whatever you do god will forgive, so as long as you yourself can forgive others.

There are individuals who choose to worship and hypocrites who only see your wrongs and will be boastful about how much good they have. Religion brings both good and bad people together. Religion is all about influence for hypocrites. But for individuals is about repentance and glorifying god and not bringing up their good acts.

• Very negative.

• Definitely negative.

• Religion has had it's positives and negatives but I wouldn't say it has had a neutral net impact. It has had a slightly more negative impact, in my opinion.

• Religion has caused most wars. It's a good excuse to explain things we never understood when our science and knowledge of the universe wasn't as good.

• It slowed and retarded the development of mankind. Look at all those wars fought. . .

• Religion makes people friendly and also makes them terrorists.

• Mostly negative

• The psychological impulse which results in religion is part of human nature. You might as well ask if eating dinner or wearing decorative clothing has had a positive or negative impact. Organized religion is just a way to direct these feelings and impulses, it doesn't create them.