Why do many young people smoke these days?

I sound like a grandma at the moment xD but i don't get it. what makes you start? many people say that it's a social thing when I ask them but what's social about blowing smoke in eachothers faces and smelling like shit? Some say it's cool and badass. sorry but destroying your lungs isn't badass it's just idiotic.
so why do you smoke?
or why do you think smokers smoke?

Most Helpful Guy

• I smoke because I enjoy it, and because after looking into the studies and the numbers on smoking and supposed smoking related illnesses the numbers don't add up so I think it's a load of bullshit. Much of what we're told about smoking tobacco is lies, for example did you know that doctors can't actually tell the difference between a smoker's lung and a non-smoker's lung? Those pictures they show you of black lungs are actually black lung - what coal miners get. Japan rank third in longevity, they smoke twice as much as Americans, yet they have lower rates of lung cancer and live much longer on average. Even though more people have stopped smoking, illnesses such as cancer and heart disease have risen. When I was younger 1 in 4 peoples would get cancer, now it's 1 in 2, yet less of us smoke. When they say smokers are more likely to die early, what they actually mean is that smokers die on average a year or two, very little difference at all. So even if I am wrong about cancer, heart disease etc. something else is gonna. get me a year or two later anyway.

They also don't tell you about the benefits of smoking. It's an appetite suppressant. Smokers rarely develop alzheimers, dementure or parkinsons. Smokers have less allergies. Pregnant. women who smoke are much less likely to have preeclampsia. Smokers are less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis, and if they have knee surgery they're less likely to need it again. Smoking is anti-estrogenic, possibly why it is sometimes seen as a masculine thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know many people who smoke. The only person who I know that smokes does it because she has her demons and it calms her down. She also has bad self esteem issues and she feels it helps her lose weight. I wouldn't smoke just because it's disgusting but also because cigarette smoke gives me a really awful headache

What Guys Said 14

• It comes from peer pressure and wanting to look cool. I once got asked by a girl if I would buy cigarettes for her and of course I refused.

• There are several reasons. 1. It's rebellion against the status quo. 2. It's cool. 3. it's highly addicting. 4. It's something to do. 5. It takes decades for the harm to manifest.

• They're simply dumb my friends started cause they thought it looks cool, then they got hooked and needed to smoke to remain calm, now they're wastig money on BS and corrupting their health and they know it and admitted it but can't stop smoking they are addicted to it, they started cause its cool and now they are ruining their health and can't do anything about it and its making them mad, not to mention they keep fighting with their gfs who do not want them to smoke, i have a friend who smokes 2-3 packs a day.

• Smokers smoke initially because they think the can't get hooked or think they're tougher than a addition or those that get addicted. All the above takes them by surprise when they discover they're hooked and can't do anything about it then. From that point on the addiction has them and doesn't let go and smoking it the most powerful addiction known to man. Best thing is to not temp fate.

• i mean more people smoke weed than cigarettes and weed doesn't destroy your lungs. i don't do it personally, but i'm just being realistic.

• This belief is a myth and weed will destroy the lungs too. Anything in the form of smoke that enters the lungs is carcinogenic will cause asthma copd and emphysema.

• @ThisAndTha
      thttp://www. medicaldaily. com/smoking-weed-doesnt-harm-lungs-if-its-joint-day-even-after-20-years-318432

also, ecigs aren't great for you, but we can all agree they are sure as shit better for the individual and 2nd handers.

and take my chances with what? i literally just said i don't smoke, never have and don't want to. what you want me just to start taking a spliff on the daily?

• Most people I know who smoke have started either because of peer pressure, because they think it's cool or because they were curious about it.

• I smoked for first time when I was 13 didn't liked it so I didn't some 3-4 times still didn't liked it then I thought it isn't for me 😂 lol

• Some people like to try new things, instead of living in fear being afraid to take risk.

• I smoked cigars, cigarillos and hookah in college, and quit a few years later for professional reasons. I do miss the ritual of puffing flavorful smoke though, I found a vendor that sells niccotine free vape liquid.

Need to do some more research before I decide to vape.

• I dunno, but smoking makes cum ttaste awful, so I dunno why anyone would wanna smoke, and it destroys your lungs, and it smells bad

• > "These days"
    wut

• No idea. It's always repulsed me.

• I don't know they're morons

• It's gross. I occasionally smoked in the military. If you get handed a cigarette by your NCO as a PFC you just learn to fcking take it and not cough like a bitch lol.

• oNLY YOU CAN GIVE THE ANSWER FOR IT AS BEST..
    AFTER A SMOKE... FOR LONG... :D :D

What Girls Said 2

• It does have a cool factor which is something most people these days don't want to admit. I used to smoke.

• They always smoke they just start younger now. I know some who smoke and they are only 9 but in general they begin in 11 (when they begin middle school).
    My father begin to smoke at 13 like all the people in his class