Can someone explain to me what a beta and alpha males are?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the concept originally came from zoology. They used the terms alpha, beta and omega to classify male animals (particularly primates) and their behaviour and role in tribes and societies.

I suppose it depends on the species, I don't really know much about animal behaviour, but the term alpha is used to apply to the dominant male of a tribe who gets first access to food, sex with any female and social power. Beta males are one rung down on the social ladder that get access to these things through the approval of or alliance with the alpha. Omegas are the lowest class who are subordinate to everyone and expected to stay that way.

It was probably the pick-up artist community that popularized a bastardized version of this classification for humans. The reasoning being that humans are, of course, animals. We are the descendants of primates so by imitating the behaviours and characteristics of a dominant, alpha primate, you can be more attractive to females.

The way the term "beta" is used now corresponds more to the omega males of zoology: timid, submissive men who are abused and denied their needs by others. These days it's almost become more of an insult than a description.

I don't know if this system is really suitable for humans. Not all animal societies function this way. But a lot of guys really took it and ran with it. I guess it's a way of giving a terminology to something that's largely unspoken. We live in a society that often favours the dominant and the unscrupulous and neglects or even punishes weakness. There is a feeling that if you're not aggressive, bold or strong, that you'll never get women, sex, money or even your basic needs met. Men fear "betaness", we don't want to be the one who comes in last.

But is that really human nature or is it just 21st century capitalism? I don't know. I've heard early hunter gatherer societies were remarkably egalitarian and so are some indigenous cultures. It's possible that our hierarchical societies could be built on learned behaviour.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 12

• boiled down to the most basic usage in modern culture and dating terminology?

An Alpha is proud, confidant, and openly pursued what he wants.
    A Beta is quiet, even if not "shy," otherwise, when it comes to pursuing the ladies he is much more passive, and he wants to pursue comfortable compromises and peaceful interaction.

On paper, Betas sound more like what many women claim to want. None of the machismo, bravado, ego and attitude. more in touch with his emotions. less aggressive.

In practice, even if he is a really good guy would would work to make a woman truly happy,. she sees him as a ball-less mangina loser, where as the Alpha, for all his self-centered nature, captures his attention. His confidence is intoxicating. He gets what he wants.

This is not to suggest that Alphas are bad people. This is not to suggest that all Betas have been wronged by women. People are people. There are Alphas (a great deal) who are very good, kind, generous people, and there are Betas (a great many) who are worthless, sniveling, selfish losers.

• Beta males are the ones who outright claim to be alpha
    and alpha males are the ones who doesn't care what people think.

For real though.. in human terms, and alpha male would be a person who inherently gets people to follow him, knows how to lead and how to manage a group.

A beta male would be a person who's nothing of the above, but rather
    hides away, and blames girls for only liking "bad guys"

• A few years ago, in the horrifying dark depths of the pick-up artist communities, some chump with a basic understanding of zoology decided, after extensive perusal of Wikipedia, that we humans have the psychology of primates.
    And as such, they went on to explain how some males get access to women not because of a completely hit-and-miss chance of said women liking certain kind of men, or that man being particularly charismatic, but because they act like entitled, rude as fuck assholes with the IQ of a stick. And thus, that if one person acts in that way, they should not be chastised for their narcissism, lack of respect and complete stupidity, but rather they should be worshipped and praised for being "alpha as fuck". Oh, did I forget to mention you should be so sexually aggressive everything you do just borderline falls out of rape?
    And if anyone disagrees with them they immediatly get called a "lowly beta". Because like we all know, you don't get laid unless you are a dickhead.

• Lowly Betas or ugly woman enablers apparently! It's laughable...

• It was a term used by Roosh V to describe those who oppose him and his rapey ways... it amuses me...

• @Girl_Scout
      Hahaha, I find PUAs to be frankly amusing. Like little clowns lol.
      Besides, they're so sensitive it's hilarious. And then they say we feminists are oversensitive!

• I say what I want to, when I want to, and how I want to, but I don't talk myself up to other people or act like an arrogant dick. I think those are signs of a beta, actually. Tryhards and the like.

If I do talk myself up, I'm usually joking. A true man doesn't need to go around and brag about how much value he has, it's apparent through his actions.

• It's some male hierarchy bullocks. More or less, the alpha male is what you would call the "bad boy", "cool dude"... etc. The beta male is what you would call "Geek", "Creep", "Awkward"... etc.

• It's a bunch of nonsense.

• Alpha-confident/assertive, leaders, easily able to attract girls and get sex without committing.

Beta-not confident, followers, strugle to attract girls

• Just another way of defining people who lead and those who follow.

Some people are passive and go along with everyone else's decision.
    Others make decisions, weigh inputs and go according to that.

• How come so much hate toward them? They just sound like normal people to me.

• Kind of similar to what's happening with the word curvy or thick. Once it starts to be misused it changes people's view on it.

With the word of alpha and beta, you start to see douchebags claiming they're alpha because they work out a lot, party even more and sleep with women excessively. It taints the word and people misinterpret it.

• Ahaa I see. Great explanation, I really appreciate it.

• Alphas- successful in life
    Betas- losers in life

• alpha is something most selfish douchebags call themselves to point out that they think others (beta) are inferior to them.

• in the world of an alpha there is no betas.

• It's an analogy of humans to other primates and social, pack animals. There's more to it than leading and following, it's about assertiveness, risk taking and a lot of other dominant behaviors.

What Girls Said 3