What does it mean to be served court papers? And what happens when you are served?

So I just found out the father of my child has been served court papers for a hearing but this is my first time dealing with this hopefully my last time! Bug I'm wondering when someone is served is that where someone like a constable actually goes to the person and hands them the papers? And If so what happens? Do they hey you have a court date for such and such and to sign here or what?

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually an officer shows up and provides you with your papers to show up in court for whatever the offence is.

The only reason I know this is because a neighbor trumped up a trespassing charge on me one time when I was working around their property.

Luckily, I put the GPS on tracking mode and it showed that I never entered their property and it was thrown out.

What Guys Said 6

• Assuming you live in America, they could send a cop or just some guy to hand the person a subpoena telling them to appear in court at that date. After that it is the person's responsibility to go to court at the date and time set. They are not however required by law to show up. So he doesn't actually have to show up, but that would be to your advantage because he wouldn't be allowed to defend his case.

• Yes, someone like a constable, or deputy sheriff, or a licensed "process server" can serve the papers providing the notice of the hearing to your baby daddy. Baby daddy won't have to sign that he received them, but the person serving the papers will sign a form that attests that he/she served the papers and that form will go to the court file. And yes, obviously, the notice of hearing will indicate the date and time of the hearing.

• They come round with a big pepper grinder and ask if you want black pepper on your papers.

• That indicates you have a court date. The papers are a summons to appear. The officer indicates you have been served, and records the record.

• If you are served a subpoena it's an order to appear in court. If you don't appear or satisfy the judge as to why you didn't, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

• Generally speaking being 'served' means someone showed up and handed it to you, whatever it is, so there's no 'ORLY I DIDN"T SEE MY MAIL' possibility. So being served papers for the hearing means they know he's gotten the papers.

What Girls Said 0