Which is the best pet to own if you live alone?

If you're living alone, what do you think would be the best pet to own? Cats? Dogs? Others?

Most Helpful Girl

• Dogs aren't really great if you're the only person in the house and you're out a lot because dogs aren't really that happy without constant companionship. They're better off in a home where they won't be left alone for more than a couple of hours at a time because dogs are pretty social animals. So if you're the only person and there's big gaps between you coming and going, it might not be a great idea to get a dog.

Cats are definitely less social than dogs, though they also do require companionship. You'd probably be fine being on your own with a cat. There are other animals like birds and reptiles and fish that you could get, and pets like hamsters are pretty solitary and easy to look after.

Most Helpful Guy

• Each of the different pets one could choose bring both advantages as well as disadvantages. I'm a cat person myself so my answer might be biased.. but I'd say that an outdoor cat probably requires the least from you.

What Girls Said 16

• Big dogs if you want security but they can be more work so it helps if you have someone else to help care for the dog. I have a cat but I don't live alone, but when no one is home it's nice to open the door to her friendly little face. She's pretty low maintenance she does like to play chase and play with dangling cat toys though, but she doesn't need walks and a bird feeder on the balcony keeps her entertained. Also purring is the most reassuring sound ever when you wake up from a nightmare in the middle of the night!

• Well it depends dogs are infact mans best friend but if you're going to be out and about a lot dogs aren't typically the best pet to leave alone a lot. They're almost like having a kid.

I would recommend a cat because they're pretty independent and won't be in your face 24/7 but will still cuddle up with you at night. But if you will be at home and you only really have a job that doesn't take up a bunch of hours and you want someone that's always by your side a dog is the way to go.

• Depends how much you are home. If you're home most of the day, then a dog is fine. If you work full time, then cats would be good (more than one cat is recommended). Or, if you're exotic, you can go for a bird or snake or rat or something.

• Whatever you like more. I, personally, an a dog person. I want to get a dog when I move out on my own for good. If you're a cat person, get a cat. If you like snakes, get a snake. Just make sure it's legal for you to do so.

• A bird!

• It depends on where you live, how much money you can spend just on the pet and what kind of company do you like.
    Assuming you live in a flat, anything from a fish to a cat is good, but I wouldn't try dogs. But at house a dog is very good.

• Cats. I think that dogs would get bored and ruin something or overfeed themselves and end up throwing up plus a lot of dogs crave human interaction.

• As much of a cat person I am I'd have to go with dogs. If you live alone you'll want a very affectionate buddy and dogs provide that more on the spot than cats. Cats are independent and can be prone to moodiness.

• Dog. Theyre more interactive and depend on you
    mans best friend after all

• A dachshund they are so cute and sweet!

• Kittens

• dog, they're so enthusiastic and eager so they'll keep you company and protect you.

• A pair of cats, maybe a ferret, hedgehogs are always an option. Guinea pigs and rats are also good.

• Dogs all the way.

• dogs and cats, have both

• I like my bird. She's fun to sing to.

What Guys Said 11

• Well it depends on more then just whether or not you live alone lol, there are other factors like income, how much you are at home or how much your are away from home and if so is it for long periods of time, stuff like that.

• If you have a good heart and can find the time then a dog. If you're a lazy bastard get some guppies in a fishbowl. :D They cost about $4 a year to feed about 10 of them and you can forget about them for weeks and the will survive in the right kind of tank.

• When I was a kid, we always had a dog, but when I got my first apartment, I started having cats. I had a dog, too, but that didn't work out so well.

• Cats. They use a litter box while you are away and won't overfeed themselves as dogs tend to do.

• I have cats

• a subservient woman :)

• Cats can look after themselves for a couple days if necessary

• definitely a Tirantula, cuz they're cheap, and Adorable, or a Tomogachi lol

• I live alone and I don't have any pets... why should I?

They are messy...

• A wasp, cos when you need to do something and are too lazy it will sting yo ass.

• Dog , fir sure.