Am I dumb for not knowing the US' form of government?

Today I was hanging out with my friends and we were playing a word guessing game. My partner had the word 'democracy', and when she said our form of government I wasn't able to guess it. Does that make me dumb? When I got it, everyone laughed at me, and I felt really embarrassed and kind of butthurt. I've never been particularly good with anything related to government or politics, but they treated it like something everyone knows.

I mean I know the word, but I wasn't able to say it immediately.

Most Helpful Guy

• For the love of God, we are a representive democracy. We elect representatives that are suppose to represent our interests in whatever branch of government to which they are elected. The constitution describes each branch of government and limits the powers available to each. How do so many people here not know that?

• As to you asker, no. Pressure, fatigue, and other factors can cause words or other facts that you know to elude you from time to time.

Most Helpful Girl

• nah its cool! lol I don't even care to know! lol

What Guys Said 14

• GOOD NEWS FOR YOU! Your friends as well as all the mockingbirds below are WRONG! America is not, and has never been a Democracy. It is a Constitutional Republic. You may now force them to eat crow pie. ; - )

• We are a Republic, not a Democracy, though it is a common confusion.
    Think of the pledge of allegiance: "I pledge allegiance to flag of the United States of America, *AND TO THE REPUBLIC* for which it stands... yadayadayda etc."

Democracy...
    "is ruled by the omnipotent majority. In a democracy, an individual, and any group of individuals composing any minority, have no protection against the unlimited power of the majority. It is a case of Majority-over-Man."

Republic...
    "A republic is similar to a representative democracy except it has a written constitution of basic rights that protect the minority from being completely unrepresented or overridden by the majority."

https://youtu.be/04n6qrBwFBE

Democracy is all majority rules, but with a Republic, people represent others to represent them. Democracy basically is where the common citizen has equal power for laws, while a Republic's common citizen's power is just to elect others to represent their collective will.

• It's not a democracy. It's a republic, a constitutional republic as @Palek said.

• Well it's actually a mix of democracy and a constitutional republic and just remember we are governed by the 3 branches of the goverment.

Legislative
    Executive
    Judicial

• Also don't worry about it your only 15 it's not something that a lot of teenagers really pay attention to.

• It's not a pure democracy...

• I'd say you're uninformed, not necessarily dumb. It's something everyone should know at your age.

• I know what it is, but I mean that I wasn't able to come up with the word at the time.

• Truth be told, it's hard to really understand the US government. You're just as well off not knowing that knowing.

• If you are then your friends are dumb too, because the US is not a democracy, it is a republic.

• It's a REPUBLIC! BOOM! TELL YOUR FRIENDS THAT THEY DONE FUCKED UP, SON

• yes.

• Your friends are wrong the us' form of government is constitutional republic , are you an American?

• a lot of people don't care.

i'm one of them.

• Your friend is wrong. The US is a republic.

What Girls Said 2

• You're not dumb, but ill-informed and ignorant maybe. That's something you can change and move on from. We've all had those "I swear I'm not dumb" embarrassing moments.

• You absolutely should know that.