Is it bad to go to a really fancy restaurant alone?

I have no friends, no girlfriend, and not a whole lot of family. I have this gift card for a super super fancy restaurant in town and I'm planning to make use of it and go. This restaurant is super fancy. Literally 10/10, even requires a dress code. Would it be okay to go there and eat alone, or would it be messed up?

bump

Most Helpful Girl

• I Have Gone to Many A Restaurant in my Own life here, dear, and Have Seen as well, People who 'Go there and eat alone,' and I don't think Anything of it. Fancy Pants, Mediocre, doesn't Matter... What is Sad is Seeing Someone Drinking Alone at the bar from A Far.
    Anything Goes Today, I must Say, and to See Someone like Yourself who has 'This gift card for a super fancy restaurant in town,' Dressed to Kill, You would be Probably Considered just A... Young Business man who is Painting the town Red Instead of Staying home and Going to bed.
    Don't worry Yourself Over What Others May Ever Think. They are Not Putting Brad on Your table.
    Good luck. xx

• Thank you so much, sweetie, for the Vote of Confidence, and it seems with Gag's New changes, I can still share in the spotlight with another Fellow Gagger as well. xxoo

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not bad. I've done it before. And no-one will look at you funny or anything, people have better stuff to do than worry about 1 guy who's sitting alone. That's besides, who cares what they think? Go there, fill your tummy, wash it down with a few drinks and get going...

What Girls Said 6

• Well super fancy restaurants don't give out gift cards so I take it that it is just a nicer than usual restaurant. I know someone that went to Alinea's on his own and that's a three star Michelin restaurant. He was in Chicago for business and bought a ticket ahead of time. Who gave you the gift card?

I think it is fine to go by yourself as long as you will enjoy it and not feel uncomfortable. I eat by myself all the time when on business and sometimes it is a fancier restaurant. I bring a book or sit in the bar section if they allow it.

A restaurant with a dress code though to me that sounds more like a country club not fine dining. In my city you can walk into a restaurant that is $500 minimum for dinner for two in flip flops and people often do.

• i wouldn't say bad, but i think it's a shame to go to somewhere so wonderful alone. i think u should find at least one person u could go with. a friend? ur siblings? parents? cousins?

• Why would it be bad to go out and enjoy good food?

• You could go alone. People might look at you funny, but if you do not care about that, by all means, go and enjoy yourself. Or, you could save it and find a date.

• Nothing wrong with that.

• No way that's awesome. Eating alone is actually nice sometimes.

• Agreed. Some of my most favorite memories of traveling are eating alone. When I used to travel in college my friends and I would sometimes go our own ways during the day as we had different things we wanted to do.

When I went to see Stonehenge I stopped into this cute little pub for lunch. I was the only one there and it had rugs, couches and a warm fire as well as a cat. I sat there eating and listening to Pink Floyd. Such a lovely day. Sometimes having a companion distracts you from your experience.

What Guys Said 5

• It super easy to make new friend if you tell them you would treat them to a free dinner at a super fancy restaurant :D

I recommended not going alone. There has to be someone that you know that would be interested in going with you.

You could go alone tho, it not gonna be "messed up" like people will stare at you like you some kinda freak XD. Just a little bit weird that all.

• Find a date bc it will look very strange if you are alone.

• I don't really see the big deal either way to be honest with you.

• Heck no. Mr. Bean did it like a boss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jquWO-0VkII

• As long as you're cool with it, do it. Takes a brave person to sit and dine alone in public at most restaurants. I'd call and ask, "Is it any issue if I come alone?" They might have specially appropriate seating for you (at the bar, at the chef's table, etc.). Or they might be so busy that one person taking a four-top is frowned upon. Could be good to just call and ask.