What book has had a big impact on your life?

Im interested to hear your responses and I want to know how it changed your life.

Most Helpful Girl

• parvana by deborah ellis:

this book is about an afghani girl who went through a lot of turmoil in her life. i read it so long ago but the story stuck with me. i recommend. it taught me to be a fighter, even if i have more freedom. there is no reason to feel self entitled just because i live in a developed country.

pride and prejudice by Jane Austen:

this one inspired my writing. the technique, the imagery, sentence structure, and all the rest of it, is just amazing. jane austen in general is an author i aspire to be like.

i am an English major, so this question is right up my geek alley.

what about u?

• Sounds interesting.

As for me i have too many to choose from and a lot i can't even remember the title. As a kid i was always reading about dinosaurs and animals, but especially dinosaurs and reptiles. Kind of like Ross from 'Friends' lol. Then this sort of expanded to science and technology. I read like encyclopaedias and stuff which was probably uncommon for my age lol.

Then in my adult life i realised that my social skills werent great so i read a lot about relationships and social dynamics. Also NLP and sex. Actually a lot about sex lol. There is heaps more and I guess a have a wide knowledge about a lot of things. I think a lot of people only focus on things they are really interested in and narrow themselves on certain topics. Whereas i research and read up on a lot of different things. Like i could pretty much talk about any topic and i would at least know a little about it.

• that's good, i take it u read a lot. very important.
      lol @ Ross, such a character he is.

the sex is such a massive surprise :P but ur so right, i think it's better to be well rounded on many topics and expand ur horizons rather than stick to a few topics and know them inside out.

Most Helpful Guy

• Winners Never Cheat by Jon Huntsman, Sr.
    Omg legit moral-business book
    Like, life changing book, despite how short the book is

Super weird but.. only book to legit ever make me cry. I would never admit that to people IRL lol

What Girls Said 11

• Hmm, I'm not sure any book really changed my life. I guess you could say the Iliad. Since reading that, I helped develop my love for ancient history and it led me on to finding Greek tragedy which I particularly like. If I hadn't read it, I'm not sure that I'd be on the path I am now. Les Miserables probably helped shape me more as a person seeing as it's full of these brave people fighting for what they believe in and one of the characters (whose name I actually took for this username) was someone I looked up to and tried my best to be similar to.

• I read "Matilda" as a child and to this day, it's still one of my favorites. I was a smart nerdy girl who loved to read, and this was a book about a smart nerdy girl who loved to read. Although I had a loving and supportive family unlike that of the character in the book, I could really identify with her and people constantly doubting her abilities as a girl and her brains. It really helped me to understand there was no shame in being smart and I shouldn't have to or try to hide my abilities which after reading that, I never did again.

• " A small corner of hell - Dispatches from Chechnya " by Russian Journalist Anna Politkovskaya

It opened my eyes to parts of the world that we hear little about. The devastating affects war has on places , yet it's covered over. My heart goes out to the Chechen people.

• me talk pretty one day by David Sedaris

it's a funny book about david's life and omg he's the funniest guy on the planet. it really helped me see the world differently because he's so wise and perceptive and uses it as a comedic device. it pulled me out of my depressed dramatic preteen days, fave quotes from it include:

“I'd tried to straighten him out, but there's only so much you can do for a person who thinks Auschwitz is a brand of beer.”

“Like all of my friends, she's a lousy judge of character.”

“If you aren't cute, you may as well be clever.”

“I hate you' she said to me one afternoon. 'I really, really hate you.' Call me sensitive, but I couldn't help but take it personally.”

• ANY... Danielle Steele Book that I Look, @thorthorley
    Good luck. xx

• Thanks for the Like, @thorthorley and just bought one of her newest ones awhile ago..
      MHO for Danielle. xxoo

• A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

Its about a mother who mistreats her younger son and makes him sleep in the basement without a bed, sheets, doesn't feed him. Hurts him and beat him physically, talks down to him, doesn't let him go to school. When the father is around she treats him like a prince... makes me appreciate my mother way more... and this is a true story.

• Naruto Volume 9. The scenes with Hints and Sakura were so sweet and badass to me. They showed that you can be extremely tough and still be who you are.

• The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, it changed the way of my thinking in many aspects.

• The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
    made me think about things in a different way. i love it. its so cute

• Carrie by Stephen King

• any book cause i have no life

What Guys Said 15

• History, art and books of strategy and war usually regarding ancient generals and warriors but the book that has had the biggest impact is the bible.

They've taught me faith, discipline, culture, the fine arts and refinement and one thing they've all taught me is that regardless of what your doing you must work hard at it and for what you want in life.

• Dostoevsky Brother's Karamazov is when I had a spiritual awakening, to the effect of realising every body suffered equally. Not knowing it intellectually, but *feeling* it deeply :)

• Chronicles of Narnia taught me a few lessons. I just wish I'd read them younger. And I wish the movies were made as well as Harry Potter.

Probably others but those are the first that come to mind.

• I think it would be "On The Heights Of Despair" by Emil Cioran

• The bible.

I was a hardcore christian before and turned atheist after.

• The bible. Destroyed me like nothing else on this planet. If there is ever evidence of the devil, it is surely the bible or Quran

• Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein was very influential... As a kid against the world (dyslexia) humor, creativity, and learning to take books and life for that matter not all that seriously was a good dose of medicine...

• Three that hit me early in life were:
    Machiavelli The Prince
    Voltaire Candede
    Orwell 1984

• It's called "The Forgotten Soldier" :)

• Johnathan Livingstone seagull by Richard Bach

Journey of a bird who wanted to be God.

• The Bible. I've never really read it but it has had a great impact on my life. Its funny how people are born into a religion init? This book has oppressed my people for long enough.

• bible mostly

• green eggs and ham

• for me these 3 books had a big impact on my life
    Who will cry when you die by Robin Sharma
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

• It's 2016, people still read books?