Why is it so hard for people to look you in the eyes now when you interact? Is it because a basic respect has become a thing of the past?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 4

• Hey,
    I have noticed this as well! i HAVE no clue on why though. Maybe because some peoples heads are down on their phones? I was raised to look someone in the eye when speaking to them. It's a sign of disrespect if one is not doing that. Also, A sign of lying.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    :) take care

• Lately, I am Online more so I don't Even Notice this.
    However, I do have a Cousin who Had some Issues, and It was Hard for Him Really... Look you in the Eyes because he Never was Much into Interacting.
    Good luck. xx

• Half the time it is difficult to get people to look away from their cell phones, let alone look you in the eyes. It drives me batshit crazy when I get together with people and they have their cell phones out. I am not sure if it is so much a lack of respect, although I always feel disrespected, because I have the courtesy to look people in the eyes when I am speaking to them and feel as if I deserve the same in return. Perhaps it is just a cultural norm because people have become so used to interacting through technology. Either way, it is very sad.

• I feel like people are judging me and so I will often look away to avoid more insecurity.

What Guys Said 3

• Personally, I don't have much to say on the matter. I like to work towards self improvement, and one of the basics in having a better SELF view is eye contact.

However, my own observation is that this is kind of a 'fake it til you make it' kind of deal. I had a close friend that has a strong personality, and is willing to say what he wants, whenever he wants... he was like that, until I moved. I saw him a year later, and he walked with his head down almost constantly, and refused to look people in the eye even during conversation. It was incredibly noticeable, because he was so tall that it wasn't just a slight glance away as much as looking straight down at the floor. He came to live with us for a while, and it was almost a year before he was back to his old self. His family conditions had taken away his confidence and his pride, and it seemed that his eyecontact was an exterior sign of that.

I have been told that I 'walk' arrogantly, and that my non-verbals tend to put off an air of superiority- but I find it funny that those comments only came after I started actively striving to better myself. Self-Improvement is never about looking down on others, but rather forcing yourself to reach higher. That friend I mentioned earlier thought I was strange. He sometimes commented that people thought I was full of myself because I'm too comfortable with myself. I usually responded with "Shouldn't we all be happy with who we are?". I am not 'finished' working on myself, and I feel like we should never be complacent with who we are becoming, but I am happy with the path I have chosen to follow- and that brings confidence.

Confidence is a powerful thing, and surprisingly lacking in my generation- it's almost as if we have to work for it. That may have something to with having technologically dependent social lives, but that is another question entirely.

• I often try my best to look people in the eyes when I speak to them. However, if I stare into someone's eyes straight too long it feels kind of odd. I get the urge to do little glances off to the side every once in awhile. That's what I tend to do-- look, glance, look, glance, etc.

Something like that is not me trying to disrespect them by any means. It is something that is from me being shy. I am less shy I bet than some previous years, but that has retained. I still get intimidated if I look someone in the eyes too long or if someone looks directly at me too long lol

• I personally think more people should look each other in the eyes, it shows your focused on them and that your listening to them. I personally always look folks in the eye when talking to them to me it's courteous and the right thing to do.