Should cyber bullying be punishable by law?

A girl that I went to school with killed herself thanks to the efforts of a relentless cyber bully. This person repeatedly told her to kill herself via multiple social media accounts, told her she was worthless, ugly, etc. She was open about her depression and anxiety, and this person bullied her anyway.
Do you think people who do this should be punished?

• Yes, it should be punishable by law
  • No, it shouldn't be punishable by law
To clarify, I'm not talking about criticism or rude comments. I'm talking about what my friend went through. Being stalked on multiple accounts. Being told to kill herself.
Also, bear in mind that she was only 18

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been a victim of real, physical bullying and cyber bullying. CB is no where near as bad as people make it seem, you can literally make it end when you want to. Before people say, "no you can't," "it happens all the time," "how can you avoid it," and all that bs, let me explain that, Yes, you can in fact distance yourself from cyber bullying.

Second off, bullying, as dumb as this sounds, is already addressed in the law. All 50 U. S. states have some sort of 'anti-bullying legislation' ie. No Child Left Behind Act, 2001. New Jersey has laws that require all schools to report bullying and then create plans to address it. Cyber bullying cases can fall under Criminal Harassment jurisdiction and sometimes stalking.

SO should bullying be punished by law, no I don't think it should be a federally regulated issue, however, It IS.

To quote the illustrious Tyler the Creator on the topic of cyber bullying "Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Cyber Bullying Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha."

www.nj.gov/education/students/safety/behavior/hib/
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Anti-bullying_legislation
    www.edweek.org/.../...view-definition-summary.html
    and the quote
    genius.com/.../161018-Deep-insight-tyler-the-creator-on-cyber-bullying

Most Helpful Girl

• Bullying should be against a law in my opinion... its not right to bully a person because they "feel like it"...

I was bullied throughout junior high school... this dumb retarded butthurt bitch picked on me because I made a face at her when really the sun was in my eyes.. for some odd reason she followed me after school everyday, spit in my hair, cursed me out, called me ugly, said things about me that wasn't true... one day she had the WHOLE school of grade 8 waiting for me after school.. gosh I was terrified! my mom came to pick me up... I didn't commit suicide...

some people need to toughen up, become thick skinned... in the real world people will eat you alive... and its survival of the fittest out there.

What Guys Said 33

• "No, it shouldn't be punishable by law" Since if you allowed for somebody you've never seen a day in your life bully you to the point of you wanting to kill yourself. Maybe it was meant for yo ass to die...

• You can either have thick skin or perish since we'll know life isn't fair + that ___ could give 2 fucks about ____'s feelings, esp on/over the web.

• But that is wrong. If you do that, you aren't better than them.

• Lmao. Cruel. Understandable to an extent. Can't say I completely agree but yeah I don't understand why people give a f uk about what others say on the internet... Especially if they don't know them. They are nothing to you.

• No no no no no no no no.

People are too easily offended. The solution isn't to punish the people that are being offensive over the wire. A solution is to remove oneself from the vectors of attack.

Another solution is to get people to recognize the insignificance of their words.

Additionally, some people see even criticisms as abusive... Legitimate remarks about something that isn't desired by someone will be treated as bullying. Now you're creating a cesspool of more stupid 'justice'.

• It is punishable by law. And trying to convince someone to kill themselves is generally considered a felony. Most states in the US consider it a felony to aid, advise, or encourage another person to commit suicide. Laws such as Inducement to Commit Suicide and stuff. And there is some cyber bullying legislation that has been passed. Depending on the state, that person could already possibly be charged, even without needing new legislation.

The lack of empathy on a site designed to help people is actually quite distressing.

• No.
    http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/58340450.jpg
    1. Because even while the internet is a mean place. Cases of actual cyber bullying is hard to find, genuinely.
    2. Because some people can use this to their advantage to make someone else do something stupid or wrong.
    3. The fact that you can stay anonymous most of the times doesn't help either.
    4. Everyone bullies on the internet, however subtle or unaware they are.
    5. Discipline and etiquettes begin at home, if you can't survive the internet what are you gonna do about real life?

• by the way I'm an Indian, you should see how much hate I got here initially. Just ignore them. They'll come around.

• People these days need to grow a spine. Some people are assholes, deal with it. Cyber bullying is ridiculous, if someone is bugging you online, ignore it. Problem solved. This is coming from someone who was bullied a lot as a kid.

• "People these days need to grow a spine" agreed...

• @Mistnigqa808 Your opinion is bang on too. I can't believe all these people that honestly think cyber bullying should be illegal. The thought police are more powerful than I thought.

• It's already punishable by law, which I think is correct.

• i dont... i think people should stop being babies and push the block button

• Bullying in general should be punished.
    It cripples people for life.

• people need to stop being pussies

• Bullying is about intimidation plus trolling. Both of which can be done online. But it is usually harder.
    Plus you can easily avoid people online, so no point making it punishable

• Yes. If it was in the real world, people would be arrested. In the real world, it's called assault and/or battery usually.

• Anyone who kills them self because someone on the Internet told them to wanted to kill them self already. I know you want to blame someone else for the suicide, but seriously.

• No, it shouldn't be punishable by law, since as you described it was more harassment than stalking, both of which ares already a criminal offenses in most places. I don't see the need to pass new laws if an act is prosecutable under current laws.

• It is punishable by law in my country and the police have been involved in many cases like this.

• A mean comment shouldn't be but constant harassment (which is what you describe) should be.

• Yeah only if its actually cyber bullying and not someone who got butt hurt just cause they asked like a rate me question and people said that she wasn't attractive.

• For sure it should be

• Ofcourse it should be punishable by law... Bullying is bullying... Just because it's done behind a screen doesn't mean the bully should get a pass for his/her actions

• Yeah in cases like that, you don't bully someone because they have an illness like depression, and you especially don't tell a depressed person to kill themself
    For what its worth, I'm sure your friend has found the peace she deserves

• Yeah, anyone who does it should get a golden shower by the one they're trolling or they're banned from internet use XD.

• It should carry a long jail term in some cases. It can be devastating for the recipient.

• It is already a crime.

Well in the UK it is

• Wasn't there an Anita Sarkeesian thing about this some time ago?

• Yes it should

• Well if a person have the freedom of speech to express then not really but if it's pushing over the edge then yeah

• The girl should have given up social media if it was so toxic.

• I thought it was?

• don't care what you call it, bulling is still bulling.

• Stalking and harassment are pretty much illegal aren't they?

• Just punishment? They must be excuted or something worse like puting them on elictric chair until they die.

• No. I am about as liberal (in American standards but the far right is insane so I'm in the middle) as you can be but I believe in freedom of speech and believe children should be supervised using the internet. If an adult cannot handle the internet that adult should not even go online then. Now as for your update that is beyond simple bullying. That is stalking. Stalking crimes have low sentencing laws and I think that needs to be changed. Stalkers deserve prison time and or therapy.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 10

• her suicide is a sad thing. but it is not the fault of the bully, it is her own. those were her actions, not the bully's. her parents and friends should have been there for her. she should have blocked the bully. beyond the bullying there was something more going on that drove her to end her own life.

• however, yes I think bullying (which is really just another form of harassment, which is punishable/sue-able by law) should have bigger legal penalties.

• Bullying has been going in since the beginning of time. Problem parents aren't helping their kids build a backbone and reinforcing them positivity. if you being bullied online it only takes you turning off your device. Bullying online is nothing like being bullied in person where you'd have to fight to get someone to leave you alone. Plus a lot of people who bully do it because they are asshole or they don't like themselves.

• This may sound harsh but get your ass offline for block someone is they are bothering you.
    If someone creates multiple account even after you have blocked them take it to your school or the police.
    That is kinda stalkerish.

• We should probably spend more time teaching our children to value themselves more and work on building their self esteem through hard work. And also tell them that online is just online and there is life behind a screen too.

We are slowly turning our kids into pussies.

• it might be tricky to implement on anonymous sites and forums but like facebook bullying b/w classmates and stuff, yeh its serious.

• It's already punishable by law. :T

• Yes, I know. That wasn't the question.

• I think that people should be able to get fined. but not arrested or anything more.

• Lmao fined for what trolling? What's your criteria for this?

• @Jon_Gre_g yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm not the kind of person that overthinks before they say something, but I do afterwards. but yes. that sounds reasonable.

• Of course it should be punished, cyber or not.

• Yes, that is harassment. I've had guys tell me to go kill myself before, but they don't know me or my life so I either blocked them or ignored it. But I know some people can't handle that, and it can get to you. They should be punished, yes.

• yes this person was a jerk.